Sea Stories: Epilogue

Gunboat1

Well, dear friends and (dare I to hope) long-time readers, the time has come.  I have just finished the final story in my little collection of reminiscences of my Navy service.  Sea Story #55 "Meeting A Legend" is done, and I am about out of material that anyone would find even remotely entertaining.  If you have enjoyed reading my stories, I am glad to know it.  If you have been peeved by their continual intrusion into your inbox or website browser, I apologize.  I hope I haven't bothered you too much with my relentless distribution of them.

I will soon be starting a much larger literary project.  If it pans out in time, I'll let you know where to find it.  I'm hoping it will turn out well.  

Thanks for your interest, your encouragement and your patience.   All the best in the coming year as America charts its uncertain course through murky waters and strong currents. 

Stand fast, and Merry Christmas to you all,

Gunboat1
 LCDR, USN (ret)

usn-emblem.jpg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Sir, Thank you for a most welcome and well-presented look into Navy life. I've truly enjoyed your writings- they've evoked laughter, suspense, and an appreciation for the sea life that I would have not known about any other way. Seriously, thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to share with us. Well Done.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, railfancwb said:

In the United States Navy what distinguishes a boat from a ship? I know that JFK’s command was a PT Boat and that submarines are boats.

Thanks

Well, there are a couple of ways to look at it.  A ship is formally placed in commission,  has a name, and a specific commanding officer and crew.  It flies a commission pennant.  A boat has none of these things, perhaps a number.  Boats are usually like pool vehicles, crewed by different people on different days.  Boats are also too small or have such limited capabilities that they dont warrant being considered as ships.    A boat may be captained by an enlisted man, but a ship in the USN has a commissioned officer in command,  invariably. 

A boat can fit aboard a ship, not vice versa (except submarines,  which are ALWAYS called boats (tradition.)

Edited by Gunboat1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gunboat1 said:

Well, there are a couple of ways to look at it.  A ship is formally placed in commission,  has a name, and a specific commanding officer and crew.  It flies a commission pennant.  A boat has none of these things, perhaps a number.  Boats are usually like pool vehicles, crewed by different people on different days.  Boats are also too small or have such limited capabilities that they dont warrant being considered as ships.    A boat may be captained by an enlisted man, but a ship in the USN has a commissioned officer in command,  invariably. 

A boat can fit aboard a ship, not vice versa (except submarines,  which are ALWAYS called boats (tradition.)

Thanks.