Prep day

LostinTexas

Went through 50 pieces. Deprimed, trimmed, chamfered, deburred. I do this by hand and my hands were cramping, co called it good. Tomorrow they will get annealed and resized, and when dry, dumped in the tumbler. I spend a lot of time with the stuff before I start loading.

Great cold, drizzly day project. It is pretty depressing that primers and powder are so hard (impossible) to come by. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Went through 50 pieces. Deprimed, trimmed, chamfered, deburred. I do this by hand and my hands were cramping, co called it good. Tomorrow they will get annealed and resized, and when dry, dumped in the tumbler. I spend a lot of time with the stuff before I start loading.

Great cold, drizzly day project. It is pretty depressing that primers and powder are so hard (impossible) to come by. 

Yeah, these winter days are perfect for reloading. I love sitting in my reloading room, listening to the radio or having a well known old movie playing in the background, and taking my time for case prep.

I deprime first on a Redding UltraMag 700 (overkill), followed by tumbling in stainless steel media. While I own 2 progressive presses, I prefer to do all the case prep and relaoding manually on my Redding T7 turret.

The process is all the fun.

Glad I bought a ton of primers and powder after the last draught.

Even https://reloadingunlimited.com/ is out of stock, they used to have stock back in 2015 while all other had empty shelves. That's indeed depressing!

Feel free to post a few photos from your relaoding, if you feel like it and know how to.

I don't clean my brass the way that you guys do and all of my steps are done on my Dillon 550, but I do feel the effects of the hoarding.  I'm down under 2,000 small pistol primers and I've stopped going to the range every week.  When I was going, I switched over (from my Redhawk .357) to my Redhawk .44 (since I have about 5,000 large pistol primers). 

Shooting my pellet gun into a trap in my garage is a serious option at this point.

• Sad 2

My pellet gun gets vermin duty around the homestead. Most of my neighbors don't have a problem with rimfire, and even center fire, the close ones and ones I care about anyway, but some Nancy's have moved into the area and I don't know all of them. The only thing they might do is hear, but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Loaded 20 of my prepared brass today. Just 20 because no more primers.

I would like to start loading the heavier CM that I have, but without primers and powder, that ain't happening. Will be starting from scratch on that one. Oh well. I have enough for a few hunting seasons, especially no more than I get to go. The loads I have will handle anything I am likely to run across in Texas, so I should be set. I still like to have more on hand though.

A good couple of hours spent this afternoon and left me nice and relaxed. A fine cold rainy day to get it done too.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Loaded 20 of my prepared brass today. Just 20 because no more primers.

I would like to start loading the heavier CM that I have, but without primers and powder, that ain't happening. Will be starting from scratch on that one. Oh well. I have enough for a few hunting seasons, especially no more than I get to go. The loads I have will handle anything I am likely to run across in Texas, so I should be set. I still like to have more on hand though.

A good couple of hours spent this afternoon and left me nice and relaxed. A fine cold rainy day to get it done too.

I'd give you some primers and powder, but can't ship without HAZMAT license.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.