Minivan camper build

crockett

Slides attached. Can be pulled out even further if I want to cook while standing outside.

The drawer fridge underneath is the hit. You think driving around with a Vette is cool? Nope. Driving around in a minivan while pulling a ice cold coke out of your fridge, while driving, is cool!

And this isn't one of those weak ass electric fridges, its a compressor fridge that will also freeze your stuff if you want to.

image.thumb.png.e0c06d16a15933bdc7a4491aced38b69.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, railfancwb said:

You clearly have a LOT of cash value installed in this van beyond your labor and tools such as the saw purchased for the project. 

Have you been able to obtain realistic insurance to cover the risks of loss associated with accident or theft or vandalism?

The standard automobile policy appears useless for this, beyond liability coverages. 

I can increase the insurance value for any of my vehicles online. When I'm done I'll see how much it increases my monthly payment.

That being said, I don't like feeding Florida insurances, because most of that goes into those cases of un- or underinsured idiots.

Even if the car gets totaled, I can write myself a check and buy / build another one. Or an RV. Or a Lambo.

This minivan beater is chump change for a reason. I wanted something that I don't care about if it gets beat up when I'm out and about.

For the longest time I thought that high priced items are fun, but in reality they just hold you back, make you worry and dependent, and chip away from true freedom.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

damn man go get it.

that is coming right along and nicely.

Its taking longer than I thought. The heat slows everything down.

That being said, the battery / battery management / inverter / charge controller / water tank / pump and cabinet setup was the biggest part.

Flooring, bed frame and solar on the roof will be much easier.

I'm trying to source one of those new 600 watt solar panels, but they are all made in China, and our administration has banned them from being imported. I really hope one of our few solar panel manufacturers comes up with the new tech. Otherwise I will go with a 480 watt panel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crockett said:

Wiring all day long... water level gauge... pump... 3rd fuse block... new ground hookup... water level sensor... lights for switches...

Waiting for some 10 AWG wire and 2 relays.

image.thumb.png.b59c75589ea252e48580b761da8fdadf.png

image.png.63e03c574ce9853d753d11325728cca5.png

I appreciate a man that wires his "stuff" in a professional manner.  Ya just don't "run wire".  Very cool sir.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, crockett said:

Its taking longer than I thought. The heat slows everything down.

That being said, the battery / battery management / inverter / charge controller / water tank / pump and cabinet setup was the biggest part.

Flooring, bed frame and solar on the roof will be much easier.

I'm trying to source one of those new 600 watt solar panels, but they are all made in China, and our administration has banned them from being imported. I really hope one of our few solar panel manufacturers comes up with the new tech. Otherwise I will go with a 480 watt panel.

true but still, the plumbing and hidden stuff is the slow time taking stuff anyway because you don't want to have to open stuff back up later on.

looks good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

true but still, the plumbing and hidden stuff is the slow time taking stuff anyway because you don't want to have to open stuff back up later on.

looks good.

If I EVER have to take that cabinet out I'll just sell the damn car lol

Thing is like one of those Secret Puzzle Boxes. Only one way to take it apart.

• Haha 1

If you are ever involved it a traffic stop and the cop looks inside and see's what you have in there...I can't imagine what will happen...... What cha' hidin' in there fella ?

I don't know where you "are" but I'd love to see that "hoopdie" whenit's finished.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

If you are ever involved it a traffic stop and the cop looks inside and see's what you have in there...I can't imagine what will happen...... What cha' hidin' in there fella ?

I don't know where you "are" but I'd love to see that "hoopdie" whenit's finished.

A cop showed up a couple months ago when I was at the beach. It was around 1 AM and I just came back from a walk. He was waiting for me, saw me walking from afar. Was parking in a park and they close it at midnight.

He said they see minivan and cargo van camper conversions every day. People come from all over the nation try to camp over night on the beaches.

Search for "minivan camper conversion" on Google image search and you get an idea. It's a huge movement, many live full time in a minivan these days, saving a ton of money by not having to pay for rent or a mortgage.

Some examples...

3bf842e00a501d16e6a3c34f95775b24.jpg

Vanlife RV Conversion Kits Are A Thing For Most Any Van or SUV

20180214_193400.jpg?w=1568

• Like 2

• crockett changed the title to Minivan camper build

If things work out, I'll be picking up a 475 watt solar panel on Monday!

Thing is 86 x 41 inches and will cover most of the roof.

Together with the DC to DC charger from the alternator I will be able to recharge the house battery with 70 A/h. The solar panel itself can recharge the house battery within about 6 hours, which happens to be the daily average sunshine time around my neck with rain and clouds accounted for.

image.thumb.png.a8eb69cb3769e1ebd018913bb030947a.png

7 minutes ago, crockett said:

If things work out, I'll be picking up a 475 watt solar panel on Monday!

Thing is 86 x 41 inches and will cover most of the roof.

Together with the DC to DC charger from the alternator I will be able to recharge the house battery with 70 A/h. The solar panel itself can recharge the house battery within about 6 hours, which happens to be the average sunshine time around my neck with rain and clouds accounted for.

image.png.89d6088aa82b34afa7ac12803c14b626.png

image.thumb.png.a8eb69cb3769e1ebd018913bb030947a.png

That's really awesome man.!!  To be your age again...with my Lady...and do **** like that...:cool:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

Plan on keeping a long gun in there? Interesting storage/access ideas?

Only my carry handgun, in a small safe. I don't want to worry about some ******* stealing my van and any rifles while I'm at the beach all day long.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crockett said:

Only my carry handgun, in a small safe. I don't want to worry about some ******* stealing my van and any rifles while I'm at the beach all day long.

Ehh, a shockwave or a highpoint carbine, unless you have moral issues with that sort of thing. A beater, fits the theme. My risk assessment leans more toward I'm more likely to need it, than to care about it being stolen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Ehh, a shockwave or a highpoint carbine, unless you have moral issues with that sort of thing. A beater, fits the theme. My risk assessment leans more toward I'm more likely to need it, than to care about it being stolen.

KelTec 2000 Glock mags

• Like 2

Cool setup Crockett.

No way Mrs N would put up with living like that, but if it makes you happy I say go for it.

One way to save a crap load of money is to not live in places like Florida, California, Arizona, Colorado or most of the east coast States.  Oh and Illinois.  

You would be amazed at the difference in housing costs here in the Midwest.  Among other things.  

14 hours ago, norton said:

Cool setup Crockett.

No way Mrs N would put up with living like that, but if it makes you happy I say go for it.

One way to save a crap load of money is to not live in places like Florida, California, Arizona, Colorado or most of the east coast States.  Oh and Illinois.  

You would be amazed at the difference in housing costs here in the Midwest.  Among other things.  

What do you mean with "living like that"? This is only my weekend / day trip beach beater. It will allow me:

- to spend entire days at the beach

- being able to park right on the beach since this is not an RV

- getting some shade when its getting too hot on the beach

- taking a nap in a real bed if I want to without having to drive home

- always having cold drinks out of a real fridge and not some soggy ice chest

- being able to fix a real meal on an induction cooktop / propane stove / gas grill, and not just eating snacks like all other beach goers

- being able to use my own bathroom and not those disgusting public beach restrooms

- this car allows me to shower / rinse off right at the beach and not having to drive back home with sticky skin from salt water and sun blocker

- I can stay over night if I feel like it, bed will be 40 inches wide and longer than a California king bed

- I can day trade out of it, watch movies, surf the web

- I can do long weekend trips and park EVERYWHERE without having to pay unlike RVs that are banned from parking everywhere these days

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crockett said:

What do you mean with "living like that"? This is only my weekend / day trip beach beater. It will allow me:

- to spend entire days at the beach

- being able to parking right on the beach since this is not an RV

- getting some shade when its getting to hot on the beach

- taking a nap in a real bed if I want to without having to drive home

- always having cold drinks out of a real fridge and not some soggy ice chest

- being able to fix a real meal on an induction cooktop / propane stove / gas grill, and not just eating snacks like all other beach goers

- being able to use my own bathroom and not those disgusting public beach restrooms

- this car allows me to shower / rinse off right at the beach and not having to drive back home with sticky skin from salt water and sun blocker

- I can stay over night if I feel like it, bed will be 40 inches wide and longer than a California king bed

- I can day trade out of it, watch movies, surf the web

- I can do long weekend trips and park EVERYWHERE without having to pay unlike RVs that are banned from parking everywhere these days

Easy there.  I got you mixed up with some of the video's linked to, and how you mentioned some people living in these for a few years in order to buy a home.  

• Like 3