Minivan camper build

crockett

18 hours ago, arnold ziffle said:

nice setup. the only thing i would change is put the passenger seat on a swivel and back it towards the dash for a place to hang out or read. maybe put the fridge on a slider under the counter. 

Too late, all but the driver seat are on the landfill. And I need that room for the fridge. I can sit on my bed, which I will be able to pull out as well. At day time there will be one part of the mattress serving as a backrest.

• Like 4

Today I did a trans fluid, filter and pan change. New pan has a drain plug, so I can do more changes without having to pull the pan each time.

Remaining maintenance before I keep working on the camper conversion:

- some touch up painting on the hood and lower front door panels

- install the wires for a dash cam mirror. back window has a sunshade now and I need to be able to see what's behind me. Got this thing on Amazon, has a 12" display:

05e0803b-a8f8-41c3-804d-bc38367792ab.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SVCW1X/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jmohme said:

I have considered one just for hauling around my optical gear.

As far as the man card thing goes. If you need a card to prove you are, then you are not anyway.

And I like the mini camper layout too!

I thought of that as well. I bring a lot of gear to the range. None of that fits in the Vette and my truck is a regular cab. Never liked my gear and rifles to be in the open bed. The minivan makes that much easier and safer.

• Like 4

I have considered a minivan myself.  Had a full size van.  With China virus concerns.  A hotel room, drive thru food...  is less attractive.

Did a 850+ drive just stopping for food, unload fluids.  Brought my own food, drink so stop for gas, bathroom, few side of road check tires...

honestly if solo I seldom get a hotel for under 20 hr drive.  I carry soapy water, paper, cloth towels with me.

In college I broke drivers seat in car accident.  Moved passenger seat over.  Set up bed across rear seat for trips.

Guy asked me about dating with no passenger seat.  I found it great.  You start with gal in back seat.  All you have to do is join her.  Plus tons of leg room....

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 8:37 AM, kerbie18 said:

I am pretty much the mini-van master. I have slept in a mini-van in the ENTIRE lower 48 states. Walmart parking lots, assorted rest stops, and random streets were my friends.

I only completed the last two states with plane tickets.

Feel free to share some photos if you have any. Did you use a mattress?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on this in 3 phases:

1.) Doing all the repairs and maintenance = all done now, alternator replacement was the last job

2.) Converting the minivan to a mini camper starts now. That being said, I will not install right away solar panels, LiPo batteries, charge controller, maxi air vent, build in water tank or a complete bed frame with cabinets.

I'd be building the entire winter and not get out one single time. Here in Florida it is now the best time for camping, since our summers are too hot. So I will be only doing the bare minimum camper conversion in order to get out soon and make some first experiences. This will also allow me to make adjustments in my final floor plan, before it is all done and I would have to start over.

So this first minimalistic camper version will be just: 

- camping cod bed = installed
- porta potty in the back = done
- camping stove = bought
- 5 gallon water jug with hand pump on top = bought
- 3 plastic containers that go under the cod for clothes, food and cooking utensils = bought
- 12 v hook up with a 400 watt inverter for chargers etc = needs to be mounted
- bedding = ordered, should arrive today

- small foldable counter for food prep etc = working on right now
- LED lights = need to be ordered and installed
- 12v compressor fridge run from car battery = will order tonight

3.) Doing the full build in late spring 2021.

Starting with the foldable counter now using a cardboard template...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, after testing this whole minivan camper conversion idea with a simple camping bed and foldable table I decided to move forward and start the real build.

I was able to park and stay everywhere. No "No RV" signs apply to a minivan, and nobody even knows what's inside. I have stayed right on the beach a bunch of times. 5 million dollar views and free over-night stays in a freaking $3,000 minivan.

Removing everything not needed today.

Next steps will be:

1. Measuring everything.

2. Framing for the plywood floor.

3. Installation of the water tank in the left side of the floor-recess behind the driver seat. Right side will hold 200 amp LiPo4 batteries, charge controllers and inverters. Rear tub will be a sit-shower with build-in porta potti toilet.

4. Cutting and installing insulation.

5. Installing a level plywood floor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Historian said:

I remember those old VMs.   They were quiet the thing for camping and traveling.

These days there is more to it.

Make a drive on your local Wal Mart parking lot around 11 PM and look out for minivans and cargo vans in the far corners with blacked out windows and / or curtains in all windows.

You won't believe how many people are living FULL TIME in these stealth vans.

I know a couple folks that live on only 300 bucks a month this way, gas money and insurance included. They save every penny they make. They will be able to buy a 200k house, cash, in 3 to 4 years, while most other pay their **** off over 30 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crockett said:

These days there is more to it.

Make a drive on your local Wal Mart parking lot around 11 PM and look out for minivans and cargo vans in the far corners with blacked out windows and / or curtains in all windows.

You won't believe how many people are living FULL TIME in these stealth vans.

I know a couple folks that live on only 300 bucks a month this way, gas money and insurance included. They save every penny they make. They will be able to buy a 200k house, cash, in 3 to 4 years, while most other pay their **** off over 30 years.

You have to admire the dedication to that kind of life style hoping to get ahead in life.     But when you think about it.  If you can buy right out the house...you start saving with the next pay check.

Debt is a cast iron bitch.

• Thanks 1

• crockett changed the title to Minivan camper build