Minivan camper build

crockett

Along Walt's Truck thread, well, I bought a minivan a month ago. So my man card is revoked for now.

I got tired of worrying about my new Vette or truck getting scratched and dinged up when staying at the beach for the day. People don't pay attention (and don't give a **** either). Beach chairs, beach umbrellas, doors flying open, kids peeing on the wheel hubs, you name it. It takes in average 2 trips to the beach (or any place around here) for the first dent & scratch combo to show up. So I searched for an old beach beater that I could also turn into a long weekend "camper".

After a couple months I found a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan with 140k miles on it for only $3k. Prior owner is a hard core liberal and had no clue. The van had a break and serpentine belt squeak, and one sliding door didn't lock anymore. A dealer quoted him almost $2k, so he probably still thinks that he made a good deal giving it away for only 3k..

Bought aftermarket lock actuator for $25, belt /tensor / pulley kit for $70 and new break pads all around for $50. All fluid change for good measure and this thing drives like new.

So far I kicked all but the driver seat out and threw a camping bed in for now. Will build a proper bed / cabinet frame this winter. Will have 400 watt solar panels on the roof, 280 Ah LIPo batteries and 40 G water tank in the Stow & Go storage places in the floor, gas stove, sink, porta potty, outdoor shower, RV mini fridge / freezer.

Nothing for long trips but I do want to get around more in Florida and not having to worry about hotels, or shitbags scratching up my new vehicles.

Planned layout..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good on you!!  Make sure ya post us pictures when ya get her all rigged out like ya want.  Now days, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable "campin out" here in Floriduh unless it's a campground.  I'm pretty sure there's somethin Illegal bout it, doin that in rest areas anyway.  Have fun with it man!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Minivans also have one major advantage over small RVs like those Sprinter based models: you can't tell (easily) if  somebody is sleeping inside. You can park in all those "No RV" parking lots, and anywhere basically.

Spent the occasional nights in rest areas, bank parking lots, and other informal locations over the years. Maybe one night per vacation when the map made me a distance optimist. Station wagons in those pre-mini-van days.

The parking lots of 24-hour Walmarts have been known to accommodate RVing. 

• Like 1

First real mod was a new head unit with a 10" screen for some entertainment. Plays movies, YouTube, weather radar apps, police radio scanner, navigation, or anything that is Android based.

image.thumb.png.2b0313a0adf19424d04c88922e286f67.png

You need a fake overlay that looks like a cassette head unit to protect that from prying eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, railfancwb said:

Indeed you do. When my vehicles were broken into, the “built in” electronics were enticements

A photograph of the previous occupant of that space might be the ideal cover. Ten year old factory electronics shouldn’t be much temptation. 

On 11/25/2020 at 5:39 PM, pittpa said:

You need a fake overlay that looks like a cassette head unit to protect that from prying eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. This thing sticks out by 3 inches since the screen doesn't fit into a double din slot. So it could be yanked out easily.

Placing a fake cover over it won't work, its too big. I think I'll just get a bigger baseball hat or something and pull that over it when I'm gone.

Edited by crockett

• crockett changed the title to Minivan camper build