The Bore Site Is Moving

Eric

That would be nice.  HTTPS seems to be the way most things are trending these days.

For those interested ins storage:  This is a NetApp filer rack.  Well, four of them.  Cut off three and you'll see what my primary job is.  There are two computing "heads" in the center of the shelf (designed for failover) and the rest of the space in these racks are disks.  

NetApp

The department i work for has three in three different locations along with bulk slower speed storage with two E-Series NetApp devices (mostly 10G drives).

Most of our servers are stored on this system as virtual machines.  The front end to that environment are a series of high end HP Proliant servers that host about 30 to 40 guest machines each (they are clustered for fail-over) and distributed among the three locations.  These machines have nearly 1 TB of RAM each (depending on the machine) and 12 Network Interface Cards that allow for redundancy and logical and physical isolation where required.  Each machine has two CPUs and each has about 16 cores to them.

We have failed over completely to a remote location 300 miles from us and run the entire operation without anyone noticing.

We also have the ability to move the entire operation about 500 miles from if we had to.  While that's not hot data i think with a quality connection we could be running within 24 hours from another state.

When I was sworn in as a police officer in 1998 the IT thing was a "backup plan."  But as technology progressed in law enforcement...i got pigeon holed into this specific area.

Nerd with a badge...pretty much historian.

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, minderasr said:

Will the new site support HTTPS?

The latest Firefox update allows for enabling HTTPS-Only mode (negating the need for the HTTPS Everywhere extension), but I find it breaks this site, even with disabling the mode for this site.

Yeah, I’ll be setting up https. 

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, Eric said:

Hello all. For those of you who didn't see my other posts on this, I will be moving TBS onto a new server, probably in the next week or so. There shouldn't be much downtime.

The biggest potential stumbling block for everyone will be DNS caching. When you go to a site, your browser must first go to a nameserver that can tell it what ip number is asociated with the domain name and then it takes you there. Your browser then caches this info on your computer for a time, to speed things up next time. The cache regularly clears itself, but a domain name lookup can stay cached for a day or two, worst-case. That DNS cache can be a problem when move a site. I will be moving the site late at night, so there will be very few people here. Hopefully, you will get a fresh lookup the next time you visit. If not, a browser and maybe computer restart almost always clears things up.

Once the site is moved, I will leave a page up on the old server. People who are still attempting to visit the site with the old DNS info will see it. I'll include info on that page about how to clear your cache so that you can make it to the new digs. I'll include an email link to me as well.

All the files on the site can be synced on the new server so that there is almost no downtime getting the last bit of changes copied over, when I flip the switch. The database takes a little longer. I will have to back it up, copy it over and then import it into a new database on the other end. This process will probably take thirty minutes, or so. With any luck, that will be the extent of the downtime.

I'll post more info when I am ready to do the transfer. Eric

I hope this doesn't cause problems for us old guys who spent most of their lives in the last century who don't have a clue as to what DNS caching means, or what it does.?

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I hope this doesn't cause problems for us old guys who spent most of their lives in the last century who don't have a clue as to what DNS caching means, or what it does.?

It is just part of the stuff that stays transparent 99.99999% of the time online. If there is an issue, it will just be a blip and then things will be back to normal. I imagine most of you will never notice the transition.

I am going to set up an email test site in the coming week, to make sure that the new server is delivering mail to all the various ISPs and other mail sites. Every one of them have their own standards and practices and some are a lot more difficult about mail configuration than others. I'll ask you guys to do a test email to see if any mail is bouncing or being delayed.

The biggest potential for problems with this move is people forgetting their passwords. The system remembers you so you do not have to enter it very often. When we move to the new server, your computer may or may not keep you logged in at the new location. It will be important that the site's password lookup/recovery system be able to send you emails to get you logged back in. So, other than trying to insure that the email server is actually getting mail through to as many of you as possible, I will be posting an email address that you can all use to contact me directly, if you have trouble getting to the new site, or logging in there.

I've moved GT and other sites dozens of times. I'll do everything necessary to make sure we don't orphan anyone in the process. Happy Thanksgiving. Eric

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Historian said:

Actually i did have a sever catch fire...it was a streaming media server and you could smell it from across the room.  The good news stopped once the component burned out.  But it had scorch marks on the inside around one area and a good amount of smoke. 

Had it happen with a PC once.  That one could have gotten worse but i pulled the power and that stopped it.

Many years ago I was running a test on a new patient monitoring system.  So "pranksters" decided that since I was the new guy at the company, they would run a small tubing from inside of the monitoring system to the back of the lab and blow Cigarette smoke through it to watch me panic.  I don't panic, I get even.

So I was sitting and watching the data roll by, and suddenly smoke started coming from the chassis.  I sat their and watched it smoke. 

I have had things like this happen over the years and I knew that it's much easier to find the failed part if you let it really char.  Not to technical, but an absolutely great way to shorten the failure analysis time.

So the smoke kept coming out and I kept watching it.  Finally a guy came from the back of the lab and asked me why I wasn't doing anything about the smoke?

I told him I didn't want to waste my afternoon chasing down a subtle problem when I could simply look at a catastrophic failure in a few minutes.

They were pissed.  All this good planning to make fun of the new guy, and he didn't panic or do anything!

Meanwhile, I found that the guy blowing Cigarette smoke through 100 feet of small tubing was damn near purple from the effort.

I had a better laugh at them than they did at me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eric said:

It is just part of the stuff that stays transparent 99.99999% of the time online. If there is an issue, it will just be a blip and then things will be back to normal. I imagine most of you will never notice the transition.

I am going to set up an email test site in the coming week, to make sure that the new server is delivering mail to all the various ISPs and other mail sites. Every one of them have their own standards and practices and some are a lot more difficult about mail configuration than others. I'll ask you guys to do a test email to see if any mail is bouncing or being delayed.

The biggest potential for problems with this move is people forgetting their passwords. The system remembers you so you do not have to enter it very often. When we move to the new server, your computer may or may not keep you logged in at the new location. It will be important that the site's password lookup/recovery system be able to send you emails to get you logged back in. So, other than trying to insure that the email server is actually getting mail through to as many of you as possible, I will be posting an email address that you can all use to contact me directly, if you have trouble getting to the new site, or logging in there.

I've moved GT and other sites dozens of times. I'll do everything necessary to make sure we don't orphan anyone in the process. Happy Thanksgiving. Eric

Thanks for all your hard work, eric. This is a great website and it's easy to attach pictures and videos

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, minderasr said:

Must be repeated.  Thank you!

Seriously.   I go back to 2002ish on the other place he started.

This is a LOT of work.

We're actually very lucky to have him care for the place we visit.

And generally speaking.  The people here seem to be a cut above in the respect they give each other.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I call my son when I have problems. He runs the IT dept. for PACCAR. He had an IBM computer in his bedroom in 1986 when he was still in grade school. In high school he was teaching a college class on programming. He is really patient with me, but is sometimes surprised at what I manage on my own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I call my son when I have problems. He runs the IT dept. for PACCAR. He had an IBM computer in his bedroom in 1986 when he was still in grade school. In high school he was teaching a college class on programming. He is really patient with me, but is sometimes surprised at what I manage on my own.

It's a very curious line of work that requires a person to be rather autodidactic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Most of the self taught are old timers now, from the days a acoustic modems and tape drives.  Trying to keep up is near impossible.

The industry is young and changes frequently. What is in vogue today was not realistic 10 years ago.

Not anyone is up to date..unless you're a true industry insider.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, Borg warner said:

DNS... Isn’t that the acronym often used on packing materials meaning Do Not Save?

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/27/2020 at 7:19 PM, kerbie18 said:

Just promise me the new server won't become self aware. I don't want to be around when your server gains conciousness. Nope...nope...nope...

I can’t make any promises. I was born on Judgement Day after all (August 29th). :whistling:

• Haha 1

• Eric unpinned this topic