The Bore Site Is Moving

Eric

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

And Bill Gates said he couldn’t imagine a computer needing more than 640K - yes K - of ram. 

Yes, there was a time. I remember people saying 10 Mb hard drive was insane and would never be used. A lot of OS's these days are 5-10 Gb. That is just to make the thing work where it is compatible with humans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Yes, there was a time. I remember people saying 10 Mb hard drive was insane and would never be used. A lot of OS's these days are 5-10 Gb. That is just to make the thing work where it is compatible with humans.

You would not believe Some of the "FPS Games" and How BIG they are!!!  30-40 GIGS some times!!! :50cal:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

At work i manage nearly a petabyte of data space. 

And while that sounds like a lot...it's not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

You would not believe Some of the "FPS Games" and How BIG they are!!!  30-40 GIGS some times!!! :50cal:

Yea, some of the programs we used when I was working were YUGE. Some were nearing 100Gb with the operating commands and all the add ons. It is amazing how big some of these can get. I remember a TB was several lifetimes of storage. It is a common, and even lower end HD now days.

• Like 1

• Administrators

When I learned how to use Regular Expressions in programming (It's complicated, look it up if you are curious), the course taught us to write a program that was used to find every instance of any word that accidentally got repeated in the text. The Regular Expression ignored matches that fell across punctuational boundries, like commas and periods, but look for matches that fell across page breaks. It also ignored instances where words could legitimately be used twice, but it flagged each instance, for later scrutiny.

When it was done, the program was a one-line search-and-replace command and the line was less than 100 characters long. The program we learned was actually used to error-check the text book, before it was published. It was a slick bit of programming. Using a search-and-replace command is simple. Writing the Regular Expression to accomplish this goal is fairly simple. Writing the Regular Expression to accomplish this goal and distilling it down to such a compact  expression is difficult.

When I started messing around with programming (BASIC), it was on an Apple IIe. When I went to school for it, after the Army, we did most of our programming on an IBM System 36 Mini computer. It was called a 'mini' only in relation to a mainframe. It was enormous. It had no real operating system. When we wrote a program in COBOL or RPG III or Fortran, we then had to write a script in OCL or JCL (Object Control Language/Job Control Language) to tell lthe computer what to do with it: "Take this program, use this memory, these processor resources etc, run the program, put the output here." It all had to be defined. The computer did nothing for itself. It was primitive as hell, but it worked. Hell, we put men on the moon with equipment that wasn't a hell of a lot older than that. Today, my iPhone probably has more programming power than that System 36. It certainly has more memory than we had in every computer combined in that school building back then.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Yea, some of the programs we used when I was working were YUGE. Some were nearing 100Gb with the operating commands and all the add ons. It is amazing how big some of these can get. I remember a TB was several lifetimes of storage. It is a common, and even lower end HD now days.

GIS data and cameras for law enforcement are driving our data.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Historian said:

At work i manage nearly a petabyte of data space. 

And while that sounds like a lot...it's not.

What's the zero cohnt on that?  I've never heard of it until just now.  Mega, giga, peta......?  

Are the peeps that work with big  mems called petaphi.........never mind.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Historian said:

GIS data and cameras for law enforcement are driving our data.

Offshore Production platform. At it's peak, it supplied the lion share of the US natural gas usage. Over a billion cubic feet per day. Amazing operation, it was. Wells fizzled, it was decommissioned and is living life as a scrap pile now. It was just too specialized of a place, but special built for the fields it serviced.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you are Big Brother's IT guy, huh????

29 minutes ago, Rellik said:

What's the zero cohnt on that?  I've never heard of it until just now.  Mega, giga, peta......?  

Are the peeps that work with big  mems called petaphi.........never mind.  

I had to look that on up too. 1000 Gigs. Everything has to have a name. LOL

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

THAT's ALOT!!!

It's not really that much to tell you the truth.  IBM sells storage systems with many times more...with the ability to cluster and mirror.

Storage systems with 18 PB of space are common in some places.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

This is interesting:  The San Diego (NASA) Supercomputer Center has 18 PB worth of tape alone.

Tape is popular because it's "write once read many" technology.  Modern tape drives can hold a load of data and the life-cycle of tape is quiet long unlike spinning bulk disk (hard drives).

When 10 TB enterprise SSD drives become more common and priced well...then you can expect the market to change.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Historian said:

This is interesting:  The San Diego (NASA) Supercomputer Center has 18 PB worth of tape alone.

Tape is popular because it's "wright once read many" technology.  Modern tape drives can hold a load of data and the life-cycle of tape is quiet long unlike spinning bulk disk (hard drives).

When 10 TB enterprise SSD drives become more common and priced well...then you can expect the market to change.

Truly amazing.  Such a far cry from my 386 running windows 3.0. Imagine the DATA the government has on us...Tape...that is interesting...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Truly amazing.  Such a far cry from my 386 running windows 3.0. Imagine the DATA the government has on us...Tape...that is interesting...

Well...with data conversion from one system to another and to different media.

Nothing...has to go away.

Ever.

There are even companies that specialize in keeping very old tape drive systems alive....just for your 30 year old, or 40 year old, tape.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, railfancwb said:

And Bill Gates said he couldn’t imagine a computer needing more than 640K - yes K - of ram. 

I remember doing an online custom build sheet of what I wanted back in '99. Don't remember the cpu, but it had a 500mb hard drive and a 21" monitor and totaled $35k

ETA: ran server nt, and had agp graphics card slots. A real pootie tang magnet.

Edited by MO Fugga
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

One of my early ventures in enterprise computing involved an IBM 1401 and an IBM 360-30. The company had one of each system, with card sorters and readers and printers and some tape machines. I persuaded them to add a seven track tape machine to the 360 (think the 1401 already had a seven track machine). Then they could use the 1401 to read cards to a seven track which the 360 could use instead or its card reader. The 360 in turn could send print files to a seven track tape which the 1401 could use freeing the 360 for higher level tasks. When feeding a tape for the 1401 printer, some character substitutions had to be made because of its more limited character set. A good repurposing of obsolete equipment at a minimal cost. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I wonder if we can overclock Eric's new server. Crank it up to 4 or 5ghz. Hopefully it won't catch on fire, but I'm willing to risk it.

Actually i did have a sever catch fire...it was a streaming media server and you could smell it from across the room.  The good news stopped once the component burned out.  But it had scorch marks on the inside around one area and a good amount of smoke. 

Had it happen with a PC once.  That one could have gotten worse but i pulled the power and that stopped it.

• Eric unpinned this topic