The Bore Site Is Moving

Eric

• Administrators

Hello all. For those of you who didn't see my other posts on this, I will be moving TBS onto a new server, probably in the next week or so. There shouldn't be much downtime.

The biggest potential stumbling block for everyone will be DNS caching. When you go to a site, your browser must first go to a nameserver that can tell it what ip number is asociated with the domain name and then it takes you there. Your browser then caches this info on your computer for a time, to speed things up next time. The cache regularly clears itself, but a domain name lookup can stay cached for a day or two, worst-case. That DNS cache can be a problem when move a site. I will be moving the site late at night, so there will be very few people here. Hopefully, you will get a fresh lookup the next time you visit. If not, a browser and maybe computer restart almost always clears things up.

Once the site is moved, I will leave a page up on the old server. People who are still attempting to visit the site with the old DNS info will see it. I'll include info on that page about how to clear your cache so that you can make it to the new digs. I'll include an email link to me as well.

All the files on the site can be synced on the new server so that there is almost no downtime getting the last bit of changes copied over, when I flip the switch. The database takes a little longer. I will have to back it up, copy it over and then import it into a new database on the other end. This process will probably take thirty minutes, or so. With any luck, that will be the extent of the downtime.

I'll post more info when I am ready to do the transfer. Eric

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

I'm IT challenged. If I get lost in this transition , I just want to let you guys and gals know that I really enjoyed your company and wish you well. Sincerely, tom. :cowboy2:

You won’t get lost. I’m pretty good at this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

I'm IT challenged. If I get lost in this transition , I just want to let you guys and gals know that I really enjoyed your company and wish you well. Sincerely, tom. :cowboy2:

I can stop by and recache your cache for no cash.    ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Historian said:

Didn't happen without server specs.

Just sayin...

The box isn't a beast, but it's enough for the site's current needs:

CPUs: Dual E-2176G 3.7GHz Hexa-Core Coffee Lake Xeon Processors (12 Cores)

RAM: 32GB

RAID 10 SATA Array and SSD drives.

It is a decent step up from the current box and I switched back over to the Ubuntu Server OS. I never should have gotten away from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Winders users can clear their DNS cache by opening a DOS prompt (Win-R, then type CMD and enter) and then run ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt.

Sorry, that probably didn't clear anything up at all. :(

In my case when I have to ask I don’t know what to do with the answer anyway. 

• Thanks 1

It must be the season for this. Glad you are getting it done before problems. Two sites were hacked and hit so hard, the operators just dumped it and started over. It was a mess on one, but the other was in the process of moving and ready to go live, it was just a few cleanups early.

Will the new site be secure? They had problems because they weren't. Looking forward to the new site.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

There was a time when 12 cores running at 3.7ghz was an unimaginable amount of computing power.

It is still a hell of a lot of power, but you are right. Computing power has grown exponentially.  The site is currently running on 8 cores @ 2.4GHz. Still a lot of power, but more & faster is better and better. 

• Like 2

• Eric unpinned this topic