Any Zebco Fans?

LostinTexas

Title says it all. Any button pushers out there? I try to find and refurbish the reels when I can, but people are starting to figure out some are collectible, and worth a little bit. Still find them once in a while.

Outside all that, I fish with them. All are tuned and much nicer than the out of the box reels, but the few that are still in factory mode are very nice offerings when cleaned and maintained, Chinese or not.

My hands don't want to work right and allow for baitcast tackle, so now I'm full circle and back to the beginnings. Explained that to my nephew and he laughed at me, but broke out the old 33 from the storage and started using it around the house. BTW, he and his partner won the college bass fishing title this year, he paid for college guiding, and starts his pro adventure in the spring. Yes he and his brother started out with a 202, and I had a lot to do with it since their dad wasn't around a lot in those days. Army, not deadbeat.

Any other fans?

I grew up on 33, 303 and 404s. Made my way through the evolution and $$$ with spinners and open face but have returned to the classic push button. However, they have incorporated a lot more plastic parts and cheapened things. I've actually done better with some shakespeare stuff like

https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-SYM-CB-Micro-Spincast/dp/B003CURA4E/ref=asc_df_B003CURA4E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459481129376&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3776363046514331087&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014403&hvtargid=pla-983457074813&psc=1

35 minutes ago, Dave514 said:

I grew up on 33, 303 and 404s. Made my way through the evolution and $$$ with spinners and open face but have returned to the classic push button. However, they have incorporated a lot more plastic parts and cheapened things. I've actually done better with some shakespeare stuff like

https://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-SYM-CB-Micro-Spincast/dp/B003CURA4E/ref=asc_df_B003CURA4E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459481129376&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3776363046514331087&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014403&hvtargid=pla-983457074813&psc=1

Shakespeare makes good reels, I have and older one. I found it in the corner of the shed covered with dust, mud, and what I hope was dried catfish bait. It wouldn't turn, but was worth a try, I had a 4.5 ft Ugly stick I was planning to put in the travel bag. It worked out. Same basic function as a 33 but needs a couple of screwdrivers instead of the one to take down. Smooth as a baby's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ear.

Finished product.

reel.jpg

I've pulled in several catfish up to 20 pounds with a modern 33. Other than the ABS foot, they seem to be at least as good as the older ones. My 808 is a beast.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I also like spinning reels but have 3 higher end Zebco spin casting reels and they perform very well.

With Zebco you get what you pay for.

That could be said of anything. Zebco perfected inexpensive a long time ago, and some of their offerings weren't all that inexpensive back when. They use poly shims that folks whine about, but in reality, very few ever have worn one out and they will outlast most folks interest anyway. VERY inexpensive to replace and should be broken down and cleaned every year, at least, but who does that? The Shakespeare I showed uses brass bushings for the handle shaft. Nice and long lasting, but still needs some care.

On average, for under $6, you can put bearings in and end up with something that resembles special. It is nice that we can return to the beginning and get a nice feel after using "good" gear for decades.

12 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

I liked Zebco's.  When I moved to Florida,  I just seemed to migrate to spinnin reels.  Light ones for my bass pond fishin, and bigger rigs for Snook fishin.

Same here.  But that being said it's hard to beat a Zebco.   

I caught a lot of fish, some of them rather large, including flounder on Zebcos.

Great name in fishing.

Every kid should have one.

• Like 1