You wanna be a Timber Faller? Here's your saw.

We used to use a 066 with the 36" bar and helper handle to cut off creosote  wooden bridge piling .We had a guide system that we made that had rollers that attached to the saw bar and ran on the aluminum angle iron guide rails.

IMG_0189.JPG

Edited by G21H30
  • Like 3

I have an old 066 sitting in my garage right now. Very good condition. 36" bar on it, wrap handle and large falling dogs. I was just out there tripping over it as I was making a handle for an old peavey that was given to me. I used a draw knife and a rasp to shape the wood for my new handle. Turned out well and fits good. Now to stain it and add some oil finish.

• Like 1

Yer dancing with the Big Girls for sure there @Walt Longmire  (90% of my chainsaw work is with my little Husky T435....fits in my ATV or snow sled box and great for blowdowns on the sled trails here....itty=bitty 12' bar with not many teeths....but still does the job for me.

I'd have to eat a few bathtubs full of Wheaties just to pick up some of those saws you got.

Edited by FullClip
  • Like 2

I borrowed a saw from a friend once when mine wasn't running right. Big ol' Stihl with a compression release to start it. It was frightening. I mowed up 3 big birch trees in nothing flat. When I finished I was tired and trembling, like after riding a souped up CR500 in the dunes with a paddle tire. You really get **** done but could die at any moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My daughter loved the. McCullough pic.  She says she's only ever seen one come into the shop.  She still hates working on Stihls, though.  She'd rather fix anything else...

My dad had a pile of big McCullochs. It was a pleasure to see him work on them. I swear he just waved his hands over them and all was good again. He never took them to the saw shop. Once he bought them, they were his and he did whatever needed done. I wasn't too bad myself and could repair nearly any malfuntion with them in the field. Even when they got mashed. Rob parts from any that weren't running at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Manscaping for lumberjacks.

I manscaped my self with a McCulloch running a 42" bar. Lots of stitches. I've also sawed into my boots many times and shredded my jeans. I have had the chain throw a stick back into my body at 13,000 rpm's too many times to count.  Doesn't really matter where it hits at that speed it all hurts. But right in the balls or the knee will out you down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

I know that at area big box stores and lumber yards 20 foot is the maximum stocked - and not much of that. To get finished 20 foot long boards how long must the log be?

Back in my days of logging old growth, most or our logs were bucked at just over 32 feet. Logs, not pecker poles like they have today.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, Cheygriz said:

This is all I'll ever need. Stihl MS 180.

STIHL.png.3eea2b5c4741cee75be19925a48f82d7.png

180's are great saws but I literately wore mine out, it had almost no compression.  Would start right up  but when you went to cut it would bog down and it was a struggle to get anything cut.  Bought a new MS211C-BE which is next size up and wow I didn't realize how bad the old one was preforming.  It's still small enough I can deal with it at my age.

• Like 1