As an adult, I thought....

23 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Based on what I saw on tv as a kid that I would be dealing with one hell of a lot more Stampedes, Quicksand, and Poison Water Holes.

As an Adult nowdays...I look back and think..the Lone Ranger TV show was pretty cool.  The "Stampedes"...I learned about later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I thought there would be space ships. 

We were supposed to have flying cars by the 90's according to my teachers in the 60's. Of course we were supposed to have been out of oil by then also. I didn't put much faith in what they were telling me back then. They all seemed to be full of two things. Themselves and crap.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

We were supposed to have flying cars by the 90's according to my teachers in the 60's. Of course we were supposed to have been out of oil by then also. I didn't put much faith in what they were telling me back then. They all seemed to be full of two things. Themselves and crap.

I remember them telling us that pollution in the atmosphere would plunge us into a new ice age by 2050. Everything north of Texas would be frozen. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Based on what I saw on tv as a kid that I would be dealing with one hell of a lot more Stampedes, Quicksand, and Poison Water Holes.

Actually responded to a cows on the road call a long time ago.

Over the radio my shift partner responded he was on the way to the last round up and to bring the ketchup!!

He was a great man to work with.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Actually responded to a cows on the road call a long time ago.

Over the radio my shift partner responded he was on the way to the last round up and to bring the ketchup!!

He was a great man to work with.

Mom once watched a bunch of cops trying to get bulls and cows off of a semi-busy road.  They were going at it like John Wayne and his Cowboys with their cars, and just making things much worse.  After a while,  she went home and came back with a coffee can half full of cheerios.

She shook the can and led the herd back through the hole in the fence.  Just like Mama duck.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Mom once watched a bunch of cops trying to get bulls and cows off of a semi-busy road.  They were going at it like John Wayne and his Cowboys with their cars, and just making things much worse.  After a while,  she went home and came back with a coffee can half full of cheerios.

She shook the can and led the herd back through the hole in the fence.  Just like Mama duck.

I had a real good laugh at that.   Yeah.  Way to go mom.   Show'em how it's done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EdTracker said:

I remember being lied to A LOT in school. Those teachers were not as smart as I thought.

Nothing has changed. I get lied to A LOT every day now. 

I was hoping as an adult I would be treated as an adult. The illusion of choice.

I didn't think most of them were all that smart when I was in school. I figured they had reasons for being where they were. One of them being they didn't want a job where they actually had to work. I did have a couple male teachers that I knew were completely capable of changing a tire or even swapping out an engine, but lots of them likely never had a blister on their hands in their life. They liked the idea of working in a climate controlled building, being a little dictator for a bunch of kids with mush in their heads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

My neighbors cows got through the fence and I found them in my garden when I got home from logging. I got out there trying to chase them back through the fence. I was having absolutely no success. Then the old man that owned the cows drove by on his way home. He watched for  just a bit, then got out and grabbed a long stick. He approached those vandals and they quickly herded up and headed home. I was like WTF, how did they do that for you and they just ran around me in a circle? He said the cows thought the stick was the cattle prod.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

My neighbors cows got through the fence and I found them in my garden when I got home from logging. I got out there trying to chase them back through the fence. I was having absolutely no success. Then the old man that owned the cows drove by on his way home. He watched for  just a bit, then got out and grabbed a long stick. He approached those vandals and they quickly herded up and headed home. I was like WTF, how did they do that for you and they just ran around me in a circle? He said the cows thought the stick was the cattle prod.

Yup, ya only got to get hit with one of those things ONCE and you'll remember it the rest of your life.  Cow or not...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

They liked the idea of working in a climate controlled building, being a little dictator for a bunch of kids with mush in their heads.

That pretty much sums up my pet peeve with academics.  They are not capable of being objective because most of them are drunk on power.

Well, one thing that did come true (and then was improved on) was the Dick Tracy wrist radio and the Star Trek communicator.  I never imagined several generations of people becoming addicted to miniaturized communicators, though.

I wonder if that pen from The Man From U.N.C.L.E. that can scramble a man's brain exists (yet).  Or if a genetically modified dog (like Astro from The Jetson's) that can almost talk is around yet.  And, yes, thankfully, I never stumbled into a batch of quicksand.  But, regretably, never found vines that you could swing on (like in a Tarzan movie).

• Like 2

There was no zombie apocalypse.

My 'smart' thermostat may someday be subject to government controls. 

1984 happened around 2020. 

I can now wear a mask into a bank.  Which reminds me that getting SWAT'ed now has nothing to do with flys, mosquitos or any other annoying winged pests.

I now know that the swamp refers to Washington D.C. 

• Like 3