Neighbor warming up his vehicle at 1 degree

8 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Don't forget the burnt clothing, and the fact that my buddy occasionally brings it up while making no attempt to control his laughter to this day. O.K. the burnt clothing is long gone. But the memory still haunts me. The down vest was brand new. Stan still reminds of  the air filled with little feathers....and cuss words, mostly directed at him. I did get a nice weld on the plow frame though.

I am the worlds worst with stick welding.  The best weld I ever did was with a 1/4" rod and 300 Amps.  I thought I would be able to brute force a cut with that combination.  What happened was the best looking strongest bead I ever laid down with a stick.  Took me a long time to take it apart.

I prefer a big MIG or a TIG instead.

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

I am the worlds worst with stick welding.  The best weld I ever did was with a 1/4" rod and 300 Amps.  I thought I would be able to brute force a cut with that combination.  What happened was the best looking strongest bead I ever laid down with a stick.  Took me a long time to take it apart.

I prefer a big MIG or a TIG instead.

Some rod is more forgiving, but might only be good for flat welding but not uphill or overhead.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jfost11 said:

I have an all original Stihl chainsaw that my father bought nearly 40 years ago. It still runs like new. Better than new actually. The last few new ones I've dealt with were terribly finicky with the EPA friendly parts on them. For the first 27 years of my life, that saw provided firewood for our wood stove every winter. Anywho, I used to work with a guy who would fire up the chainsaws we cut logs with, stone cold, and hold them wide open for 2-3 minutes every time. He was complaining that the saw shop kept telling them they needed to rebuild the engines on the saws every few years. He wasn't the brightest crayon in the box.

My youngest daughter - who is employed at the local small engine repair shop - spends all her time there repairing chainsaws for the loggers.  She says nasty words about Stihls (the newer ones) and her boss taught her how to remove all those EPA parts so the saws run better... so she has opinions about the gov't's penchant for regulating shite they know nothing about (of course, she might have learned that as a toddler, when our state gov't regulated nearly all the hobby beekeepers here right out of existence, and kept things screwed up for a decade, and is exactly the reason I only keep enough bees for our personal honey and beeswax supply, and gave up turning it into a real business).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My youngest daughter - who is employed at the local small engine repair shop - spends all her time there repairing chainsaws for the loggers.  She says nasty words about Stihls (the newer ones) and her boss taught her how to remove all those EPA parts so the saws run better... so she has opinions about the gov't's penchant for regulating ****e they know nothing about (of course, she might have learned that as a toddler, when our state gov't regulated nearly all the hobby beekeepers here right out of existence, and kept things screwed up for a decade, and is exactly the reason I only keep enough bees for our personal honey and beeswax supply, and gave up turning it into a real business).

My uncle bought a couple new ones some years back. I mainly used the ms460. It would fire up after a 2-3 pulls and run for 10-15 minutes then shut off. It would take about 15 pulls to restart then do it all over again. It was never out of fuel, the carb had been cjecked and adjusted by the shop it came from. It didn't matter what the weather or temperature was. Then I saw on an arborists forum how the epa mandated factory mufflers caused them to run hot and do that as well as the oil pumps barely putting enough out to keep the chain even mildly wet even when it was turned all the way up. So if you ever buy a new one for serious use, that's the first thing you need to do to it. High flow muffler and oil pump.

I have to fill the bar oil on my old one two times for every tank of fuel. That new saw was the opposite. Two tanks of fuel for every tank of bar oil. Mine never takes more than 2 pulls to start cold, and never cuts off until it's empty. It says made in West Germany on the case. The main plant they're made in now is right here in VA. Made in the USA is nice but, the EPA sure doesn't let them run like they used to. Not without spending more money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hook said:

i got a block heater an oil pan heater and tranny pan heater and i plug into a timer and when its cold i let my baby warm up for atleast 20 mimutes when its cold. hit the auto star and let it get warm no revving.

Block heater on ALL the vehicles here and auto start on some of them. Best option is the heated 3 car garage though. One stall just for the toys. Snow machines and wheelers. 2 stalls for the pickups.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, Walt Longmire said:

Block heater on ALL the vehicles here and auto start on some of them. Best option is the heated 3 car garage though. One stall just for the toys. Snow machines and wheelers. 2 stalls for the pickups.

I dont have a garage dammit. But i got the auto start. Never thought i would like them as much as i do now a days.

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

If you haven’t already, grind iron over a pile of aluminum dust left from earlier grinding activity. 

I've not lit aluminum on fire, yet, that is in the other side of the shop from the steel welding.

I have, while welding aluminum, lit magnesium swarf on fire, that was a hot and fast fire. Might not have been an accident.:D

Also lit thin magnesium on fire while welding it, putting that out was just a matter of cutting the arc and letting the argon put the fire out.