Primer Pullback??

FullClip

Ever have a primer get pulled back into it's pocket during the decapping/resizing stage?

I just loaded up the last 92 of some 38 wadcutter bullets I had laying around, and when using my Dillon 500, I had about 6 of them that must have got sucked back into the pocket and made me stop, and re-do that case...a couple wouldn't clear on even the second try.  I'm using RCBS dies and have reloaded thousands of 38 Specials on the Dillon and my old single stage press.  Have never had this issue happen so often.  I''ve screwed the decapping pin way down to try to help, (about 1/2" below the bottom of the die now) but didn't cure the problem.  Mixed headstamp brass and no one brand worse than another.  Real PITA when you gotta try to see if an old primer falls out of the chute.

Maybe I should try the Dillon dies which are supposed to help with this problem.

Almost have all my 38 brass filled back up, next onto the .45ACP stuff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 10:55 AM, FullClip said:

Ever have a primer get pulled back into it's pocket during the decapping/resizing stage?

I just loaded up the last 92 of some 38 wadcutter bullets I had laying around, and when using my Dillon 500, I had about 6 of them that must have got sucked back into the pocket and made me stop, and re-do that case...a couple wouldn't clear on even the second try.  I'm using RCBS dies and have reloaded thousands of 38 Specials on the Dillon and my old single stage press.  Have never had this issue happen so often.  I''ve screwed the decapping pin way down to try to help, (about 1/2" below the bottom of the die now) but didn't cure the problem.  Mixed headstamp brass and no one brand worse than another.  Real PITA when you gotta try to see if an old primer falls out of the chute.

Maybe I should try the Dillon dies which are supposed to help with this problem.

Almost have all my 38 brass filled back up, next onto the .45ACP stuff. 

DWARREN123 is right, get some 200 and 400 grit sandpaper and make the pin rounder. Use 400 grit to make it as smooth as possible. This will prevent them from sticking in the cup (or even punching through) and pulling it back in.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dremel tool with the polishing & compound is perfect for the final smoothing after using fine sandpaper.

I like to deprime old / dirty brass on a single stage with a universal decaping die. The universal is tougher and the tips are replaceable if you try to push a stone through the flash hole. Don't ask 

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.