Best 9mm pistol, full size and compact

DWARREN123

My choice will always be a 1911 and a Commander.

I suspect however you are talking about polymer guns.

I have experience with Sigma's, M&P's, Glocks, Walther's, FN's, XD's, Storms, and to a small extent  the poly Sig pistols. 

For the most part that are all pretty equal, but best is not always clear as most of them are constructed just as cheaply as they can be. I pop open a polymer gun and they almost always look the same inside, and there rarely is any surprises. It is my opinion that the best of the ones listed above, are the ones made by FN. The FN FNS gun really surprised me when I disassembled it and found that nothing at all looked cheap. Not even the frame rails. It has the largest set of machined rails I have ever seen in a poly gun. Top that off with fully ambi controls, and a decent enough trigger. The downside though, is the lack of aftermarket support. 

I've tried the Clock platform three different times, and failed at every one.  They just don't work for me.

The newer CZ's, however, are magic for me.  Shooting offhand from 50, I've never had consistent hits on my 1/3 IDPA steel targets with anything other that my GP100.  But the P-07 changed that paradigm for me.

I carry the P-07 now, and I'm considering the purchase of a P-09 just for kicks.

Me and a couple of friends are liking the Ruger SR9/9c. I have the SR9 and they have the 9c.

I've owned Glocks and could never quite shoot them well. Still have a Glock G30 and it feels good in my hands until I start firing it and then not so good. That bums me out 'cause I really like that gun.

The Ruger SR series seems to fit me extremely well. I have both the .45ACP and the 9mm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Full size:  Glock 17

Compact: Glock 26

This being said there are so many very fine pistols on the market now I can only imagine how hard it is for a new user to pick one out of the many choices we have today.  I am not one to grab a new handgun (or just about any other product) that is a brand new model.  I prefer something that has been out awhile and is well proven and reliable.  This is the main reason I like Glocks so well.

Way, way too subjective to be meaningful.  Personally, it's my Ruger SR9Cs.  They're totally reliable, have all the features I like and work for me.  Prefer them to any of the several Glocks, a Beretta Brigadier and two CZs I've owned and sold in the past.  Don

I really like my Sig P229 and P226. Though the P229 is not 9mm. That being said, it would be extremely disingenuous not to mention the XDM 3.8 compact 9mm(It's both a full sized and compact 9mm depending on mag) and the Glock 19.