Ready For Winter??

FullClip

I'm planning on going out to cut more firewood soon. I enjoy it. I was looking at the poor old F250 parked outside covered in the snow we got that turned to rain and then froze. I shuffled a couple things around in the garage last night and pulled it in next to the F150 Super Crew. Been a while since I had them both in there together. It's all thawed out and happy today. The nice thing about having a stall cleared out for it is when I do get wood, I'll back the truck in and there it is. Just outside the basement door where the wood stove is. Won't have to go outside to the wood shed and load the wagon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

That fish is one of the best in the world to catch or eat.   I love them.

Yes they are, but have you ever tried Feeder Kings? Winter Kings is another name for them. We catch them here in Alaska. Best Salmon ever by far. They are here to eat. That is all. Haven't yet migrated. When they do, they will head south to the West Coast to spawn. While here they have no sperm or eggs. Just happily cruising around stuffing themselves with all the wonderful food they find in the icy waters of coastal Alaska. I recently laid a fillet on foil on the grill. When I went to take it off after making certain I DID NOT overcook it like most people do with salmon, it looked like a cube of better had melted onto the foil. They are loaded with omega 3 fat. The taste is indescribable. Very mild. I don't use any seasoning on these. If I pull salmon from the freezer then I will add some seasoning when cooking, but not on a fresh winter king. I need to book another trip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Yes they are, but have you ever tried Feeder Kings

Never been that far North.  At least in Alaska. We lived in Maine for a bit when i was a kid.

Quality fish like you're describing doesn't need anything to it.  I am rather astonished at how much fat comes out of that as you cook it.    I feel teh same way about rainbow trout...and not the dead sad looking ones you get at the store.  But a real wild caught fish.

Walt you really know how to live, sir.   I admire it.

You have likely caught my holly grail of fish...the Arctic Char.   I have eaten it...and it is fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Winter is here for one month already. I did a lot of painting and fixing before the first snow this year...and there is more, but it can wait till the spring time. We were ready for the snow and cold, probably more so than usual. I stopped watching any TV, except for the history and nature shows, so with some extra time on my hands I discovered the pleasure of working around the house (small projects mostly). I love the winter and I hate it at the same time. However, as I'm getting older the disliking part is getting stronger and the dream about our retirement in Southern Spain is getting more and more attractive. Even though it means no guns...but in 15-20 years the Canadian liberals will probably ban every, single firearm there is here anyway...

Edited by Nestor
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nestor said:

Winter is here for one month already. I did a lot of painting and fixing before the first snow this year...and there is more, but it can wait till the spring time. We were ready for the snow and cold, probably more so than usual. I stopped watching any TV, except for the history and nature shows, so with some extra time on my hands I discovered the pleasure of working around the house (small projects mostly). I love the winter and I hate it at the same time. However, as I'm getting older the disliking part is getting stronger and the dream about our retirement in Southern Spain is getting more and more attractive. Even though it means no guns...but in 15-20 years the Canadian liberals will probably ban every, single firearms here anyway...

We would hate to lose you to distance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

I do sincerely hate Winter, however, today I scheduled my patio door replacement for January 12th.  I guess it's better to get it done than procrastinate any more.

We did that last Winter. God it was cold for a couple of hours, but the old one was rotten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, FullClip said:

summah

oh, That made my night

Leaves are Raked, Gutters Cleaned.

Oiled the Snow Blower, Aired the Tires hit it with Carb cleaner and waxed the Chute.

Spray Waxed the Shovels and waiting for my Local Hardware to get the Good Ice Melt in.

Storm windows are Cleaned and in and Cocoa Supplies replenished.

Carhartt Coveralls are hanging and the Pac boots are by them.

no more stove so i don`t have to split and stack anything, i`d rather have the stove and have to split and stack.

Now We Wait..

• Like 3

*/Yeah it's a real PIA. I've already found a couple of heat lamps to put on the wells. I'll probably have to drip a few faucets. If I don't they'll probably freeze. Lately, it's been in the high 40s at night and high 70s during the day. I actually hate the summer here much more than the winter. HOT AS HELL, AND SO HUMID YOU JUST DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO SEE WHAT THE HUMIDITY IS. What I need is a house up North for the summer, and one down here for the winter. Best of both worlds.  You guys up North have some pretty neat tricks to deal with the cold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1