Got 'Er Done

LostinTexas

Changed the battery on my laptop. Sounds easy enough, but WAIT, there's more. This is an internal battery in a "featureless" backed HP.

Looked at a few Youtubes, and none were the model I have, one wasn't even an internal battery, but the back was coming off. Found where they likketo hide things, found out the disk drive had to come out (easiest part of the whole thing), and a few other tidbits.

It's a pain and don't expect it to come off as easily as the videos show. Make sure you have some good tools (used the polymer door panel removal tools for the car), take your time and pay attention. Even with LostWife "helping", because she thought she needed to, it involved almost no cussing, but had a few "hold your breath moments". Some of the clips, retainers, what ever, took a lot more persuasion than I think they should have, but did let go. 

Once inside, things were straight forward. Tightened all the little screws, cleaned out some loose plastic that has given way over time, and got the battery swapped. Going back together was easy. I guess it was a success since I'm typing, have the battery charged, and all the ports line up. $50 battery could have been the demise of a $700 laptop. Some have a button battery, usually a 2032 IIRC inside there, and it can disable the machine if it goes. It runs the clock and some of the other BIOS, but I didn't find one in this one, it would have been replaced for sure.

If you find yourself in need, check out the films, take your time, pay attention so you don't break something, and you can do it. A little encouragment from a tech challenged old fat guy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Changed the battery on my laptop. Sounds easy enough, but WAIT, there's more. This is an internal battery in a "featureless" backed HP.

Looked at a few Youtubes, and none were the model I have, one wasn't even an internal battery, but the back was coming off. Found where they likketo hide things, found out the disk drive had to come out (easiest part of the whole thing), and a few other tidbits.

It's a pain and don't expect it to come off as easily as the videos show. Make sure you have some good tools (used the polymer door panel removal tools for the car), take your time and pay attention. Even with LostWife "helping", because she thought she needed to, it involved almost no cussing, but had a few "hold your breath moments". Some of the clips, retainers, what ever, took a lot more persuasion than I think they should have, but did let go. 

Once inside, things were straight forward. Tightened all the little screws, cleaned out some loose plastic that has given way over time, and got the battery swapped. Going back together was easy. I guess it was a success since I'm typing, have the battery charged, and all the ports line up. $50 battery could have been the demise of a $700 laptop. Some have a button battery, usually a 2032 IIRC inside there, and it can disable the machine if it goes. It runs the clock and some of the other BIOS, but I didn't find one in this one, it would have been replaced for sure.

If you find yourself in need, check out the films, take your time, pay attention so you don't break something, and you can do it. A little encouragment from a tech challenged old fat guy.

Good on you man!!!  I'll fight to the death to stay with windows 7.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LOL, this one has 10 and taking the advice I try to tell others when they pull one out of the box, I find it amazing.

W7 was a solid platform, but has lived through it's life cycle. As long as it works for you and you can find supported software and programs, why not. Be aware the it no longer gets malicious software updates, so it's vulnerable. FIL runs it, and nothing wrong with his either. Some things are falling out of support though, so he will need a new OS probably sooner than later, and he just about wigged when Explorer went away and he had to learn a new Browser and search engine., but it keeps trudging along.

FIL is a couple of months short of 91, so I figure he has the right to wig a little and try to keep things simple for him.

1 hour ago, Dave514 said:

Did that. Twice. Neither battery was accepted by the system as compatible. Now it's a plug in only model. So much time wasted.

Some allow to reset the battery. Look in the settings or on the back to see if there is a reset button. Glad mine seems to be in working order.

• Like 1