It’s getting bad at GT again

NPTim

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BigGiantShaft said:

I honestly think things started getting bad over there once the women got a little too comfortable and went running to the mods every time they saw something they didn’t like it someone disagreed with them. 

I built GT and I am still an admin there. You are entitled to your opinions, but in this case at least,  I think your opinion is based on ignorance and maybe a bit of misogyny. I’m not going to waste my time explaining the administration of a site like GT, but you are way off base. I will say that far more men than women proportionally use thread complaints abusively. This is not a gender issue. That is simply where you decided to drag the topic and I do not agree.

I would like to see more women involved in the shooting sports, in firearms ownership for defensive reasons and on sites like this. This site, and GT for that matter, are not boys’ clubs. They are places where reasonable adults, both men and women, can hang out and chat about common interests.  Women are welcome here, same as men. I realize your comments were directed at the situation on GT, but you posted them here and I don’t want anyone to think that they reflect the views of this site. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, NPTim said:

Sorry boss.

Nothing to be sorry about, man. I was just stating my opinion on this. Society in general has changed in some pretty negative ways, in recent years. Part of this new reality is that people seem less and less able to discuss differing viewpoints without the exchange ending in a battle, verbal or otherwise. 

I want this to be a place where people can share opinions. Where people can disagree, even strongly disagree, but still remain reasonable and polite. Society simply expected this of people, in decades past. Now, it sounds like an increasingly unlikely dream to wish for such a thing. 

Society might be circling the drain, but we don’t have to follow it down. We can hold ourselves to a higher standard. All it takes is a little effort on each person’s part here and we can make this place a better community than the ones we live in. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Eric said:

Nothing to be sorry about, man. I was just stating my opinion on this. Society in general has changed in some pretty negative ways, in recent years. Part of this new reality is that people seem less and less able to discuss differing viewpoints without the exchange ending in a battle, verbal or otherwise. 

I want this to be a place where people can share opinions. Where people can disagree, even strongly disagree, but still remain reasonable and polite. Society simply expected this of people, in decades past. Now, it sounds like an increasingly unlikely dream to wish for such a thing. 

Society might be circling the drain, but we don’t have to follow it down. We can hold ourselves to a higher standard. All it takes is a little effort on each person’s part here and we can make this place a better community than the ones we live in. 

I always say the problem with society is that people have lost the fear of getting punched in the face. Punching someone and facing the legal hassle is scarier than getting punched. That's a big problem in society and it's magnified many times over the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, KFC said:

I always say the problem with society is that people have lost the fear of getting punched in the face. Punching someone and facing the legal hassle is scarier than getting punched. That's a big problem in society and it's magnified many times over the internet.

I agree completely. I think that everyone has a certain number of ass kickings coming, in their life. The problem is, giving people the ass kickings they need to keep them regular is increasingly frowned-upon.

Sometimes getting knocked on your ass is therapeutic. It is like someone punching your reset switch, which is often found behind the nose. People should have a little fear of what will happen to them if they show their ass to someone. That is a healthy thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eric said:

I agree completely. I think that everyone has a certain amount of ass kickings coming, in their life. The problem is, giving people the ass kickings they need to keep them regular is increasingly frowned-upon.

Sometimes getting knocked on your ass is therapeutic. It is like someone punching your reset switch, which is often found behind the nose. People should have a little fear of what will happen to them if they show their ass to someone. That is a healthy thing.

Out of curiosity when was the last time you received a well deserved beat down?  :D Not saying you did deserve it, just wondering.  

Edited by SarahMcGlocklan

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, SarahMcGlocklan said:

Out of curiosity when was the last time you received a well deserved beat down?  :D Not saying you did deserve it, just wondering.  

I’ve been hit before, but in all honesty, I've never suffered a real ass kicking. I’ve always managed to give pretty much what I got, or better. I’m not Billy Badass, but I can handle myself and I avoid trouble, when it lets me.

FWIW though, people are not the only thing, or the worst thing, that provides the ass kickings, in life. As Sir Davos Seaworth said in season seven of Game of Thrones, “Nothing fucks you harder than time.” Life has a way of humbling you, no matter how proud or strong you are.  God knows, I’ve gotten a couple of country ass-whippings from life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Eric said:

I follow and stand with you on this one.

Discussions of "beat downs", and "getting punched in the face" seem to be part of differing opinions anymore, and although I understand that there are varying subcultures of this great nation, I don't understand the loss of our ability to simply have polite discussion.

Now, it's worthy of note that the word "polite" didn't used to be the equivalent of "pansy ass", but for some reason, we've come to draw that correlation.

I'll admit, I get sucked into the muck occasionally as well, but I usually come out of it feeling as if I need a shower.  That's what I like about the new site. Eric.  Polite, yet spirited discussion seems to be encouraged.  I hope to be one of the positive contributors here.  I've found that I like it when I leave a website, I feel OK about things in general.

I think that's a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I’ve been hit before, but in all honesty, I've never suffered a real ass kicking. I’ve always managed to give pretty much what I got, or better. 

FWIW though, people are not the only thing, or the worst thing, that provides the ass kickings, in life. As Sir Davos Seaworth said in the season seven finale of Game of Thrones, “Nothing fucks you harder than time.” Life has a way of humbling you, no matter how proud or strong you are.  God knows, I’ve gotten a couple of country ass-whippings from life. 

Life and age definitely kicks the ass of us all.  Time is the great equalizer.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i go by this rule in my middle age   "  young people fight  old people shoot  lol .  ive had a few beat downs and ive done some beat downs ,  but the winner is the one who does not fight at all .  even thou there are still a few people  im gonna scuffle with   im  6'1  220  and most times talking works it out . 

in the last few years  ive had some tussles at berry house with guys talking trash to my wife .  the last 3 seasons  ive got average of 6 beeps on walkie   a week  to come to berry house trouble is here . people literally have lost their damn minds . 

and  that was my 500th post !!! woo hooo  and i wasted it on  this thread.:anim_lol::anim_lol:

Edited by ASH
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I agree completely. I think that everyone has a certain number of ass kickings coming, in their life. The problem is, giving people the ass kickings they need to keep them regular is increasingly frowned-upon.

I have jacked a few jaws, and passed out some knuckle sandwiches. Attitude adjustments all around. Everybody gets one. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, SmokeRoss said:

I have jacked a few jaws, and passed out some knuckle sandwiches. Attitude adjustments all around. Everybody gets one. 

One of my Drill SGTs used to called it Wall-To-Wall Counseling. The guy had a way with words. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad to see Glock Talk going downhill.....

I sent money in years ago to help support it since it was a very helpful site to me.

Really hate to see what has happened to it.

To me, I noticed things there going off the tracks in the year or so run up to the election......

Again, sad to see them going the direction they have chosen to go

Glad we have the Bore Site

• Thanks 2

I don't want to slam GT - and I believe Eric has asked us not to do that here - but there are a few things getting old.

I noticed a thread about CF and Flipper being gone disappeared.  Like it was never even there.  Hell close it and at least give an explanation.  I know there is the issue of privacy but just post "Well, guys, we aren't gonna talk about this crap.  Thread closed."  

I can see CF getting himself banned pretty easily - especially if he went off in CopTalk or something like I could see him doing.  Flipper - no idea.

I also tire of smartass comments from one of the mods when they nuke a picture or ban me from a subforum.  I guess I deserved the subforum ban - though I guess they aren't interested in comments about WHY someone quit posting in a subforum, when trying to improve that subforum.  That got a post nuked, but the actual reason I got banned was my reaction to being basically told my opinion doesn't matter - for which I take full responsibility and recognize that saying that the forum was full of assholes PROBABLY wasn't the best idea.  :anim_rofl2:

As to members that "stir the pot" - I'm not accusing anyone of anything at all or saying that TOS is run this way, but it would make sense to have posters that make others want to react.  Reactions mean posts, posts mean traffic, and traffic means ad revenue.  Just good business, so long as it is within the rules.  Once again, I make no accusations (seriously).  Just a thought.

Plus differing opinions is good.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigGiantShaft said:

I honestly think things started getting bad over there once the women got a little too comfortable and went running to the mods every time they saw something they didn’t like it someone disagreed with them. 

Just so you know, I have NEVER run to any of the mods over there for any reason.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Foxterriermom said:

Just so you know, I have NEVER run to any of the mods over there for any reason.

Honestly, people say "the women" but I think there are two or three in particular they are referring to - at most.

I'm not saying they are right in their assessment, but I think there are only a few that they are thinking about.  There are a couple that tend to generate strong feelings in others, shall we say.

And no, not THOSE feelings......... :rofl: (except maybe one)

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KFC said:

I agree 100%. 

37 minutes ago, arkdweller22 said:

Yeah...

Good thing you're heeding your sig line's advice. I'll leave it at that. :innocent:

Exactly. I know not to stir. Only because the stirring will end with nothing even slightly palatable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Eric locked this topic