After all is said and done

Ricordo

I think I've handled or owned four (4) PP/PPKs. Two and two? My favorite was a late war PP, IIRC in .32.

From the first time I shot one to the last one (LW PP) it always extracted its price of admission. Slide bite. No matter what was done to them, that was a given. The interesting part being that I "knew" that it was coming. But did it anyway. No flinching, not "thinking" about it. It is explained away by comparing it to a woman giving birth. If they "remember" it, they wouldn't go through it again.

The late war PP I bought. No roll marks, just a 7.65mm somewhere on the slide. Whoever did that...you know...so as not to confuse it with a .380. I liked that blankness to it. So much so that I had it re-blacked. Gorgeous.

I keep looking at them in the web and still find them attractive. But I refuse to obtain another one. Can do just fine with my P32.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

I think I've handled or owned four (4) PP/PPKs. Two and two? My favorite was a late war PP, IIRC in .32.

From the first time I shot one to the last one (LW PP) it always extracted its price of admission. Slide bite. No matter what was done to them, that was a given. The interesting part being that I "knew" that it was coming. But did it anyway. No flinching, not "thinking" about it. It is explained away by comparing it to a woman giving birth. If they "remember" it, they wouldn't go through it again.

The late war PP I bought. No roll marks, just a 7.65mm somewhere on the slide. Whoever did that...you know...so as not to confuse it with a .380. I liked that blankness to it. So much so that I had it re-blacked. Gorgeous.

I keep looking at them in the web and still find them attractive. But I refuse to obtain another one. Can do just fine with my P32.

They are pretty handguns for sure.   I think, to a great extent,  James Bond made this pistol popular.   I know i purchased my last one about a moth after buying a tuxedo for a charity event.  It was required. Like cuff links.

Every Walther I've ever shot risked slide bit.  I once shot a little TPH and loved the pistol but it would eat your hand up if you were not careful.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure I recorded "Dr. No" last week. Because I've never watched a Bond movie in its entirety, from beginning to end. Only snippets here and there. Probably because I find them... boring?  Just about to rewatch Burn Notice, if I can find it in Netflix. Doubtful Disney + has it. That first season was spot on. Then it went Hollywoodsy.

I'll get to Dr. No sometime. Probably sooner than when somebody can reasonably explain why  Kevin Cash lifted Blake Snell in game 6 of the WS. You know...priorities.

EDIT: It came in a flash. If the Rays trade Snell, they are going to get a $hitload of players.

Edited by Ricordo
?

I'm seriously considering changing my moniker/username to "Al Dente".

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita.

"Al" may very well be Dante Alighieri and "Betty" his ideal woman Beatrice who orchestrates a pilgrimage for Dante to Heaven through three books - Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. In the first two books Dante is led through Hell and Purgatory by the Roman poet Virgil, who early on rescues him in the woods when he is attacked by various beasts including wolves and throws sand in Cerberus'(Hell's watchdog) face in order to gain entry to Hell. "Dogs in the moonlight...Get these mutts away from me". Because Virgil is not a Christian, he cannot lead Dante into Paradise. Virgil had a profound influence on Dante, even being called in the "Inferno" his "master and mentor". In the second stanza of the song (representing Purgatory) – he is looking for "Who will be my role model, now that my role model is gone?" In steps Beatrice as his "Bodyguard" and she guides him through Heaven. The song ends with “…Angels in the Architecture, spinning in infinity / He says Amen and Hallelujah” From the end of Paradiso: “But already my desire and my will were being turned like a wheel, all at one speed, by the Love which moves the sun and the other stars” The Divine Comedy as a whole can be seen to be an allegory on redemption, as Dante struggles with the knowledge of his sins and failings until he finds salvation at the end." ?️‍?️ ?

Edited by Ricordo
Al

Finally got the chance to watch a Bond film (Dr. No) in its entirety. I can again acknowledge that everything has a time and place under the sun. I can imagine the impression that that movie made when it was released.

Dr. No's control center looked like it was repurposed straight  from a cheap 1950s space/science fiction movie. The plot is pretty much straightforward and "complex" enough to keep an audience interested. Mr. Connery certainly looked the part, as if he was born to play it. But that movie released today would probably go straight to video.

There was one significant part that made me smile and reminisce.  A Pan Am jet!!! That alone was worth the price of admission. And my wife is ordering at the next opportunity a medium-dry martini with lemon peel and shaken, not stirred. If only she knew!!! ? I guess I'll finish it off.

• Like 1

I had a PPK .380 Once.  God knows why...I can't remember.  Friend wanted to buy one and wanted to fire  mine.  Said "Sure".  Get the .380 ammo and we'll go to the range.  We did.  The gun fired 2 rounds and just crapped.  It had always been a good shooter for a pea shooter....Somethin in side just fell out on the floor.  Turns out he bought 32 ammo... Had it fixed and traded it in on a 9mm.  I don't go below 9 mm any more.

11 hours ago, Ricordo said:

Finally got the chance to watch a Bond film (Dr. No) in its entirety. I can again acknowledge that everything has a time and place under the sun.

Mmmm....did you fail to notice Ursula Andress?

I mean...who cares about the rest of the movie?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:16 PM, Swampfox762 said:

had a PPK .380...he bought 32 ammo

I gave a .380 Makarov to a friend, a former tunnel rat who wanted to get back to the sport.  After handing it over the first thing he asks is where he could find Makarov ammo. I bought a pair of boxes for him. Contrary to your case, if he had bought Mak ammo it would have never entered the breech. 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:43 PM, Historian said:

Mmmm....did you fail to notice Ursula Andress?

I mean...who cares about the rest of the movie?

Never much impressed by Ms. Andress. Now, Raquel Welch was a different story.

I'm reasonably certain that Dr. No is the only movie I've watched where she appeared. Can see where the term "Bond girl" originated from. Perhaps it was because her acting range was extremely limited but she sounded like a girl. And not a woman. That turned me off.

Unite!

Sure, I can give 'em unite.

Edited by Ricordo

Very good news.

Saw earlier tonight my dear old friend, Black Cat, the all-black feral cat that calls my property "bed and board". He's doing fine, good to see old friends after a while. Only at this time, he's not entirely all-black.

Gray hairs. Don't we all.

• Like 2

Haven't seen George and Gracie, the mourning doves, in a while.

Wondering now if Black Cat had them over for dinner. Or as he calls them, considering how plumpy he looks, snacks.

Or perhaps they took some time off to accept the international emmy they received for leadership in the flock.

Edited by Ricordo
Ommy or ummy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 2:47 PM, Ricordo said:

Here's an example of what the opponent group that is against my friend Kupta, the time traveller, does.  It is expected to fetch anywhere from $150,000 to $200,000, unless somebody debunks it.

auction-2020-jpg.95286

Pity that it was proofed in 1964? But it might have been used in "Ben-Hur" too! You know, as in.... Ben-Hur..... Judah Ben-Hur.

Incredible. Sold at auction to an American anonymous buyer for $256,000.00! A Walther PP proofed in 1964 that appeared in a 1962 movie.

Fortunately, it is not a showing of widespread fraud. It is just an example of a little fraud here and there.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2020 at 7:48 PM, holyjohnson said:

only if we change the rules that there is a limit on Campaign Commercials and the Campaigning can only start 6 Months before the Actual Election day.

While we are at it, let’s take all unspent campaign contributions into the Treasury to pay down the national debt. After all tge donors wanted to benefit the nation when they made those gifts - right?

And as a bonus all parties and candidates would start each election cycle at the same point - zero. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, Ricordo said:

Incredible. Sold at auction to an American anonymous buyer for $256,000.00! A Walther PP proofed in 1964 that appeared in a 1962 movie.

Fortunately, it is not a showing of widespread fraud. It is just an example of a little fraud here and there.

Where was the proof date information obtained?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Wasn’t that an Andrew Jackson question originally?

I've no idea. I was lambasting the words of Uncle Joseph (Stalin), [H]ow many divisions does the Vatican has?".

Imagine that the USSC overturns the 2020 election. The "progressives" are not going to just take it sitting down. 

Roberts, CJ, will find out that there is no appeasing them. And the "liberals" will experience their wrath accidentally because the "progressives" are not known for distinguishing between a Frederick Douglass statute and a Jeb Stuart's.

The Five will need reassurance that they and their families will be protected. 24/7. It's a tall order for them.

7 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Where was the proof date information obtained?

The proof date on the pistol.

c-jpg.95292

?

Balogh was the one I learned it from. https://www.waltherforums.com/threads/the-real-deal-walther-pp.125070/

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 1

Now that I think about it, I believe that Stalin was called Grandpa (Deduschka) and not Uncle, like Leonid.

But that was before my time.

Btw, big fan of The Mandalorian here ever since my wife and daughter drew me into it.

What's not to love about a future Templar that lives by a Code? ?

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 1