Critters

Swampfox762

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

A neighbor had one they found in the yard. They think it had been injured by a dog or maybe a car. Nursed it back to health and kept it but it never walked right and I think it had lost part or all vision in one eye.

They built a nice enclosure on top of their flat roofed carport. It was about 8 feet high and about 20 feet by 25 feet across. You accessed it by a trap door. It was fine for a couple years but one day it went nuts. As he went it through the door to feed it it dropped down on his back and attacked his back. Tons of staples to fix his back and rabies shots. 

I suspect it got at a bat in its enclosure and had rabies. It was a sudden change from being playful but it was never really tame. Just a playful wild animal. I don’t think they ever found it after it escaped. 

Once they become breeding age it is pretty much over as far as a pet.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

A neighbor had one they found in the yard. They think it had been injured by a dog or maybe a car. Nursed it back to health and kept it but it never walked right and I think it had lost part or all vision in one eye.

They built a nice enclosure on top of their flat roofed carport. It was about 8 feet high and about 20 feet by 25 feet across. You accessed it by a trap door. It was fine for a couple years but one day it went nuts. As he went it through the door to feed it it dropped down on his back and attacked his back. Tons of staples to fix his back and rabies shots. 

I suspect it got at a bat in its enclosure and had rabies. It was a sudden change from being playful but it was never really tame. Just a playful wild animal. I don’t think they ever found it after it escaped. 

My aunt rescued a young raccoon and nursed it to health. It was smelly but cute and would sit in your lap and let you love on it.

When it got old enough to care for itself, she put it out, but it hung around and was still quit social. When the female coons would come into season, he would be off only to come back later, usually with some battle scars but once again reverted back to sort of a pet.

I imagine if she would have kept it caged, it would not have been as pleasant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmohme said:

My aunt rescued a young raccoon and nursed it to health. It was smelly but cute and would sit in your lap and let you love on it.

When it got old enough to care for itself, she put it out, but it hung around and was still quit social. When the female coons would come into season, he would be off only to come back later, usually with some battle scars but once again reverted back to sort of a pet.

I imagine if she would have kept it caged, it would not have been as pleasant.

As with domesticated dogs and cats, neutering might have calmed it to pet-like behavior.