A mid-century want

blueiron

The mid-century U.S. was a fascinating place with new technology, new design, new sciences, and other neat stuff for those of us lucky enough to be young enough at the time to be dazzled by the period.

One of the few rifles I always wanted was a Winchester Model 70 "Westerner" bolt gun, in the then new .264 Winchester Magnum caliber. Co-opted by the popularity of the 7mm Remington Magnum, its' popularity waned and it became a rarity. While I no longer hunt, I still have a bit of an itch for one still and Winchester has made a few in Super Grade, with both blued steel or stainless steel. 

Before I put down cash on an impractical want, does anyone own a .264 and if you do, what are your opinions of it?

I just can't bring myself to like the .338 Winchester Magnum. My old hunting buddy had one and he loved it. The only problem with that cartridge was that he mated it to a 22 inch barrel with a muzzle brake. Standing to the side of the rifle when it was fired at the range was truly painful and he always invited me to provide my chronograph to test his handloads. A month ahead of hunting season earned me the ears of an artilleryman.

A Magnum centerfire rifle with a 22 inch barrel is a bit daft.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:55 AM, Valmet said:

Agree 100% regarding the bbl and break. I won’t own a hunting rifle with a break. Most of my scoped rifles have 26” bbls. 

Wow....it's been a while since anybody replied, but only "hunting" rifle I have with a brake is a 30-378.  If I ever got around to sniping deer or long range coyotes like I envisioned when I bought the stupid thing years ago, I'd use the brake.  Not like it's gonna be touched off more than once or twice.   After the first shot, I kinda;' think twice about if I really want to jack in another round.   No problem with a brake if you're not around other people.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:27 AM, blueiron said:

One of the few rifles I always wanted was a Winchester Model 70 "Westerner" bolt gun, in the then new .264 Winchester Magnum caliber. Co-opted by the popularity of the 7mm Remington Magnum, its' popularity waned and it became a rarity.

Totally understand.  There was some mojo at Winchester then.  In my case i want the 3006 version.

Hell of a rifle.

Almost bit on a WWII era Smith Carona that someone had sporterized...and shall...remain shamed and shunned forever.

The savage....