Chased for6minutes by a Mountain Lion

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Never seen a catamount in the wild, but my blood is still a little curdled from the pre-dawn scream of a bobcat I heard while hunting in 1964...

ive got a huge bobcat  in my forest  i have posted about before .  once walking trail   i felt like like something not quite right , turned around and it was about 25 feet from me walking stealthy , im working with the wildlife dept to have it tranked and moved  because  me and my 4 year old  grand girl  walk some trails and fish at the pond .  its the biggest bobcat ive seen ever here and not taking chances with my girl .  even thou i pack everywhere there is always a chance of something going wrong . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i will tell you another animal not to mess with is a pissed off momma squirrel   ,   sitting on porch few years  we got squirrel nests  in all the trees , well we sit out and watch them grab stuff in our garden and run off lol .  its a summer lemonade sipping sport we have. then we heard a cry and saw something fall.  so i walked down to to see what it was, and it was baby squirrel ,  then my wife said run!!!!  lol   i see this blur barreling toward me , and there was no out running a squirrel  ,  so i ducked in fetal position and pulled shirt over my face and stuck my face in the ground .  i got bit  few times  but i learned a squirrel momma will eff you up .  shes tame and comes up on deck and i feed em peanuts  by hand all the time but they have a big no  to babies rules .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ASH said:

i will tell you another animal not to mess with is a pissed off momma squirrel   ,   sitting on porch few years  we got squirrel nests  in all the trees , well we sit out and watch them grab stuff in our garden and run off lol .  its a summer lemonade sipping sport we have. then we heard a cry and saw something fall.  so i walked down to to see what it was, and it was baby squirrel ,  then my wife said run!!!!  lol   i see this blur barreling toward me , and there was no out running a squirrel  ,  so i ducked in fetal position and pulled shirt over my face and stuck my face in the ground .  i got bit  few times  but i learned a squirrel momma will eff you up .  shes tame and comes up on deck and i feed em peanuts  by hand all the time but they have a big no  to babies rules .

Mississippi Squirrel Revival.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:12 PM, Walt Longmire said:

Twice I have heard screaming in the woods of the PNW. Once at night. Sounded like a woman being murdered with a knife. Once during the day while deer hunting. A single long loud scream. 

Heard that scream a few times and it will scare you a little the first time.

It scares you every time after that as well, can't imagine anyone could get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Mississippi Squirrel Revival.

I was little and we just pulled up in front of our house.  I jumped out of the car to go into the house and SPLAT!  Right in front of me was a Squirrel that had fallen from to peak of our roof, 4 stories up!

I thought it was dead or severely injured, and I slid my hand under the tail till I had him with his belly laying in my palm.

Then he woke up!!!!!!   All four feet and claws were spinning and pissed like you can't believe!  I couldn't figure out how to let it go without being shredded, so I threw him into the yard.

Empathy goes out the window when something wants to rip you apart!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was little and we just pulled up in front of our house.  I jumped out of the car to go into the house and SPLAT!  Right in front of me was a Squirrel that had fallen from to peak of our roof, 4 stories up!

I thought it was dead or severely injured, and I slid my hand under the tail till I had him with his belly laying in my palm.

Then he woke up!!!!!!   All four feet and claws were spinning and pissed like you can't believe!  I couldn't figure out how to let it go without being shredded, so I threw him into the yard.

Empathy goes out the window when something wants to rip you apart!

In Yellowstone Park I laid in some rocks above where a bunch of ground squirrels had burrows. Finally one came out below me within grasp. I 'grasped' it wanting to take it home and add it to our menagerie of red squirrels, chipmunks, and flying squirrels. That devil spun around in it's own skin and ate my 8 year old hand alive. The rest of my family, and also my uncle, aunt, and a bunch of cousins got to witness it from the safety of the camp site. They all got quite a laugh out of it. I was tore up. ******* squirrel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

In Yellowstone Park I laid in some rocks above where a bunch of ground squirrels had burrows. Finally one came out below me within grasp. I 'grasped' it wanting to take it home and add it to our menagerie of red squirrels, chipmunks, and flying squirrels. That devil spun around in it's own skin and ate my 8 year old hand alive. The rest of my family, and also my uncle, aunt, and a bunch of cousins got to witness it from the safety of the camp site. They all got quite a laugh out of it. I was tore up. ******* squirrel.

They are cute, until they aren't.

They all have their defenses.  Some time ago I stopped for this good sized tortoise/ turtle what ever it was in the middle of the road.  Though I would be kind before a big truck came along crushed him.  I should been more careful how I picked him up, he pissed all over my one hand with a stream of putrid awful liquid.  I wiped it off and got to the closest gas station were I could wash it off. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

They all have their defenses.  Some time ago I stopped for this good sized tortoise/ turtle what ever it was in the middle of the road.  Though I would be kind before a big truck came along crushed him.  I should been more careful how I picked him up, he pissed all over my one hand with a stream of putrid awful liquid.  I wiped it off and got to the closest gas station were I could wash it off. 

Critters have no idea what's going to happen to them.  Nature eats it's animals, unfortunately.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

being stalked by one of those while backpacking in Glacier NP (back when guns were illegal in the parks) was what convinced me guns were good and I needed one, because I didn't want to bet that heaving rocks would work a second time...

I was pleased to find that in the National Forests of Northern Minnesota, If you have a legitimate state issued Concealed Carry License it was acceptable to carry a gun.

• Like 2