Gone and [almost] forgotten...

railfancwb

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Historian said:

Odd.  I think of the master chef Jaque Pepin who gave up fancy restaurants to make Howard's THE place to go for something to eat.

You’ve seen Blazing Saddles, right? :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Historian said:

The last time i saw it....i was sitting on a bag of frozen peas dude to bad situation involving poison oak and a chainsaw.

Yes.  :)

John Hillerman played Howard Johnson. I loved his character. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blueiron said:

About a decade ago, GM marketing showed that the average Buick customer was around 70 years of age. Old people have some money and may buy autos, but they are a demographic that cannot be counted on for additional purchases. The large land yacht is dead, the executive auto is effectively on its last legs [when was the last time you saw a new Mercedes E or S-Klasse, a BMW 5 or 7 series on the road, a Lexus LS, an Infiniti Q class, etc.]. North Americans want bloated cars that resemble SUVs. 

Buick had a dealership network in China dating back to the 1920s and it was the luxury ride in the eyes of many Chinese people. That is diminishing, but the 60+ year olds love them because they represent wealth and luxury.   

I have a newer F-350 and I can see getting rid of it in a year or three. It is too much truck for my diminishing physical capacities and I am considering my last vehicle. No one out there makes anything that I can afford, easily get into or out of, and that has room and V-8 ICE power. 

I am surprised at the frequent sightings of Mercedes vehicles of various types in my area.  Some other luxury cars too but in fewer numbers.

My take is that my neighborhood is falling into the 50 year old category and a surprising number of homeowners are the originals.  That means that they now have no mortgages and are in retirement.  Then they  have retirement money coming in and few expenses going out, so the disposable income goes up.

I find that for me this is happening too.  I used to love working on cars.  I would tear things apart just to verify they were OK.  Now, however, I'm old and full of aches and pains and instead of working on cars I just trade them every three years for a new warranty.  My knees went out so I don't do woodworking anymore and i sold the truck since I didn't need it. 

Now the second heated garage stall holds the riding mower, the snow blower, the big air compressor and all the air and power tools I accumulated.  Now I buy a power tool just because at some time in the past I wanted it, yet now, I rarely use it.

We are comfortable and have a good life.  The wife and I get along together far better than when I was working, so we spend as much time together as possible. 

Therefore, I only put about 2 or 3 thousand miles a year on the car.  I'm still fanatical about my cars being clean, so when I trade the carpets have never had a foot print on them.  Funny.  Now that I think of it, I can't remember the window washer going empty on any of my cars for decades.

I have fewer years to spend than money, so I spend the money.  Our family is located within a 100 mile radius so we don't have to travel much.

Our house is a home and we live in it.  We don't keep buying new stuff for it 'cause I don't care if you are impressed or not, just that I and my wife are comfortable in it.

Life got so much better now.  The above is why I say that money solves problems instead of labor.  Times are good.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1