Gone and [almost] forgotten...

railfancwb

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Neither was all the other electronic garbage that came to choke their shelves. A company should never forget who brought them to the dance. 

Eric,

Sadly the day of the electronics hobby guy has given way to the consumer electronics guy.   Those guys who can plug and play their way into a good sound system versus guys that actually built...say a computer, radio, or other devise for their own interests.   Most of these guys don't know the difference between voltage and current.

I'm not an engineer.   But old enough to have gone to The Shack to get parts to repair something.

1 minute ago, Historian said:

Sadly the day of the electronics hobby guy has given way to the consumer electronics guy.   Those guys who can plug and play their way into a good sound system versus guys that actually built...say a computer, radio, or other devise for their own interests.   Most of these guys don't know the difference between voltage and current.

Yes, I think the end of discrete components got rid of the tinkering hobbyist.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, blueiron said:

About a decade ago, GM marketing showed that the average Buick customer was around 70 years of age. Old people have some money and may buy autos, but they are a demographic that cannot be counted on for additional purchases. The large land yacht is dead, the executive auto is effectively on its last legs [when was the last time you saw a new Mercedes E or S-Klasse, a BMW 5 or 7 series on the road, a Lexus LS, an Infiniti Q class, etc.]. North Americans want bloated cars that resemble SUVs. 

Buick had a dealership network in China dating back to the 1920s and it was the luxury ride in the eyes of many Chinese people. That is diminishing, but the 60+ year olds love them because they represent wealth and luxury.   

I have a newer F-350 and I can see getting rid of it in a year or three. It is too much truck for my diminishing physical capacities and I am considering my last vehicle. No one out there makes anything that I can afford, easily get into or out of, and that has room and V-8 ICE power. 

Pics of the F350 and a price.

I do not for a moment mourn the demise of individual component electronics.

To me, these are a part of a very unpleasant past where you were stuck constantly "tinkering" with things to get them to work.

Good riddance to components, manual transmissions, carburetors, inner tubes and all of that other antiquated crap!?

2 hours ago, aomagrat said:

I own a Western Auto .22 bolt action rifle, an AMT Automag III .30 Carbine pistol and a Star Model A 9mm Largo pistol.

The name Llama has been brought back for a Philippine(?) made .380 which looks like the ones made in Spain up through the 60s. No idea whether any parts interchange... or even whether the new made one uses the locking breech of the original. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The name Llama has been brought back for a Philippine(?) made .380 which looks like the ones made in Spain up through the 60s. No idea whether any parts interchange... or even whether the new made one uses the locking breech of the original. 

It looks like they've new designs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/homedefensejournal.com/2016/06/21/llama-pistols-made-in-the-ph-mac/amp/

• Like 1

SAAB automobiles. 

Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, and Northrop-Grumman have eaten up nearly every defense contractor for air-land-sea systems. This is why the USG is finding that innovation in defense systems all the way down to small arms is declining. 

[Almost] Mooney International - the corporations that have owned and produced Mooney aircraft have come and gone nearly often as Colt. Yet, the airplane has its devotees and refuses to die.

• Like 1