Gone and [almost] forgotten...

railfancwb

Over the years, some great companies have stumbled. Some recovered to fight on. Others disappeared almost or totally. And it continues to happen.

Early railroads notoriously went bankrupt. Many more than once. That has continued. A valuable physical plant - right of way and track - financed largely with bond debt makes them susceptible to declines in revenue but worth buying out of bankruptcy.

Some names...

Rock Island

Milwaukee Road

W T Grant 

Montgomery Ward

Sears, Roebuck & Co

K-Mart 

Westinghouse

General Electric

Zayre

Baldwin

Alco

and on and on

What are some other notables?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I see General Electric on the list. Man. What happened there? THAT was a total train wreck. Everything from jet engines to blenders, to WTF?

Hasn’t it been, though! Sold off their medical imaging business, their locomotive and mining equipment business, their finance arm... and probably many other things of which I’m not aware. Guess when Jack Welch left he took the magic with him. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

So I'll go with Radio Shack.

That one hurt.  I remember when you could go there and say i need three zenier diods, one Varactor diode, and a capacitor...and they would point at the way and say right there.

They went from Radio Shack to The Shack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I see General Electric on the list. Man. What happened there? THAT was a total train wreck. Everything from jet engines to blenders, to WTF?

My wife worked for GE as a purchasing agent. Luckily she retired before the downward spiral and escaped with her 401k relatively intact.

What happened was ole Jack anointed that putz Immelt to succeed him and he drove it into the ground.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Automobile brands and manufacturers disappearing are legend.

General Motors sold its locomotive business, which put diesel into the minds of railroad executives, its over the road trucks, its construction equipment, eliminated three major US brands, and still went bankrupt.

Packard

Nash

Hudson

Studebaker

Kaiser

Henry J

Chrysler eliminated numerous brands over the years and was bought and sold many times  

Tucker - a special case

And many others going back to the infancy of the industry 

• Like 2