TBS expenses

Ricordo

I donated, so let me speak to this 

30 donations with 2000+ users of varying frequency is over 1%. Paltry by the church attendance/contribution ratio but fairly typical of bulk mail solicitations. This site falls somewhere in between.

Some, maybe many, are NRA members. Likewise some, maybe many, are known by political groups to be conservative.

I have been bombarded by a dozen or more solicitations each day during this seemingly unending election season. Often the messages offered two, three, five and at least once seven times match for my contribution. And I’m told my $10 could be the difference. I did not make a political donation because 1) high multiple match promises stretched my credibility to the breaking point, and 2) I could see no possible benefit to me from contributing.

I enjoy this site, want it to continue, and thus there was a possible benefit for me if I contributed. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 7:08 AM, kerbie18 said:

Damn it people! Cough up a little money. This man has been supporting the 2nd amendment for decades.

Side question, has THE eric (inside joke with a hat) decided who inherits this site?

Did you donate to GT?

How much did it sell for?

What was your return?

Now I feel like RussP is on me.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Dave514 said:

Did you donate to GT?

What was your return?

Dave, what do you figure my return is for starting, building & running TBS these last years? It has cost me a lot. I’m doing this because I want to, truly, and I want people to enjoy the place. At this point though, I find myself in a position where it is difficult to cover the expenses myself and the site isn’t big enough to generate income with advertising. I would really rather not have to ask people for help and I’d really prefer not to have to field comments like these, but this is where I am.

If you don’t want to donate, then don’t. It’s your choice, man. I really appreciate those that choose to help out, but I’m not pushing anyone to pony up and I completely understand if folks don’t want to chip in. This isn’t pay-per-view.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if this thread did not turn into an argument. I’ve got enough on my plate without having to deal with that sort of thing. Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/24/2020 at 6:41 AM, kerbie18 said:

I'm going to say what Eric is too classy to say. This site has well over two thousand members but only 30 of us have bothered to donate? Go without your Starbucks for a couple days and cough up a few bucks for the site! Sheesh!

But we'll be the ruling elite in this new world some day.

• Haha 2

On 12/4/2020 at 11:44 PM, Dave514 said:

Did you donate to GT?

What was your return?

I never chose to directly donate to GT in 19 years. I contributed to a lot of it's sponsors, and made sure to credit GT. This new site is smaller, so I chose to donate directly in this case. Plus, my own personal ability to donate has improved. That's all I saying, no argument intended.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

I'm gonna kick in a bit more the first of the year.  This site provides me with...I'll just say "Stress Relief".   As well as interacting with some, pretty cool people.  I don't want it to go away.

You shouldn't either.  You'll can afford 50 bucks for gods sake...

Lots of "Cool" people, and a few dicks. But I have noticed that none of the dicks have kicked anything in yet. 

• Sad 2

Just now, gwalchmai said:

Maybe they don't kick in just because society says they should...

Just like the majority of people on this site, and every other site.  They mostly just choose to stay "in the background" or "on the fence" and quiet.  Every board has their Active members and their "readers".  Just the way it is.  For every "active" member, there's probably 50 readers here.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Just like the majority of people on this site, and every other site.  They mostly just choose to stay "in the background" or "on the fence" and quiet.  Every board has their Active members and their "readers".  Just the way it is.  For every "active" member, there's probably 50 readers here.

Cal me an "active but passive" type of forum guy.   I only go on forums on one computer (no phone no tablet or other device) and that's just driven by years of security training.

Here we have a gun forum that brings people of that mind together.  Along with that the members can share other common interests and everything is a friendly open discussion. There are a couple of other forums I am also a member of (car and HAM) that tolerate zero political or off topic discussions and I am OK with that too.

That being said I like this site for the people and management of discussions.  No one goes all "Ape SHXT" if someone says something they don't like or agree with.  Conversations are more "OK we agree to disagree" and get on with life.  :)

This is the only site I have opened my wallet for and that was  only after many years of following Eric on this and his other site.  To me it was a good way to say ""Thank You!!"

• Thanks 1

• Eric unpinned this topic