TBS expenses

Ricordo

I found a little extra under my sofa cushions and the thank you page showed the total amount donated, the target goal, and the number of donors. I thought more had given, but the total number of donors is low.

Eric is too classy to cajole people, but I am not. Even ten bucks helps.

Edited by blueiron
  • Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

Eric,

which donation way takes the least amount out of a donation and nets you the most?  CC, Paypal?

I know a check is best but....

The CC and Pay Pal options are both Pay Pal, so no difference. Cost of doing business.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Damn it people! Cough up a little money. This man has been supporting the 2nd amendment for decades.

Side question, has THE eric (inside joke with a hat) decided who inherits this site?

I still have the The Eric hat. I haven't given a lot of thought to who the site will pass on to. When the time comes, I'd like to know that the place will stay open and move forward. I'll have to give it some thinght.

49 minutes ago, Eric said:

I still have the The Eric hat. I haven't given a lot of thought to who the site will pass on to. When the time comes, I'd like to know that the place will stay open and move forward. I'll have to give it some thinght.

What about the little boy that was your avatar at one point? 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

Huh, I always assumed that was Eric junior. Whoops.

I got started using that pic years ago, when some folks on GT were poking fun at me because my head is so big. I posted that pic then to show them how much larger it was proportionally when I was really young. It has been used on and off as an avatar, ever since.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I got started using that pic years ago, when some folks on GT were poking fun at me because my head is so big. I posted that pic then to show them how much larger it was proportionally when I was really young. It has been used on and off as an avatar, ever since.

Thus the reason behind the big head comments.

Well.  If your stupid you don't need a big head.

Just sayin....

• Like 1

• Administrators

OK, I am in the process of setting up a new server for TBS. The one we are on now has adequate power, but not enough harddrive space and it has been in use 4 years. No hardware has broken on it yet, but it is getting old. The server uses Solid State Drives and those have a hard numerical life built into them. Once they have done their allotment of reads and/or writes, they just stop.

So, I'll be transitioning things over to the new server, in the next couple of weeks. When it is getting close to the changeover, I'll post more about what to expect. If things go smoothly, the process should be virtually transparent to all of you. I'll try to keep Muprhy's Law at Bay during the process, but this is 2020. Who knows what will happen.:biggrin:

It will be a lot of work to make this happen, but it will put us on another server that will hopefully give a few years of reliable service. I want to thank everyone who has donated. You are all helping me to move forward with some much needed upgrades to the site infrastructure. Eric

• Like 1

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Eric said:

OK, I am in the process of setting up a new server for TBS. The one we are on now has adequate power, but not enough harddrive space and it has been in use 4 years. No hardware has broken on it yet, but it is getting old. The server uses Solid State Drives and those have a hard numerical life built into them. Once they have done their allotment of reads and/or writes, they just stop.

So, I'll be transitioning things over to the new server, in the next couple of weeks. When it is getting close to the changeover, I'll post more about what to expect. If things go smoothly, the process should be virtually transparent to all of you. I'll try to keep Muprhy's Law at Bay during the process, but this is 2020. Who knows what will happen.:biggrin:

It will be a lot of work to make this happen, but it will put us on another server that will hopefully give a few years of reliable service. I want to thank everyone who has donated. You are all helping me to move forward with some much needed upgrades to the site infrastructure. Eric

Setting up a new server is a pain in the ass. I have been making steady progress until about five hours ago, when I found out that my webhosting company did not set up all my allotted ip numbers properly. After spending hours dealing with and waiting on tech support, i found what I think is the problem and promptly screwed the pooch. I made a change to a network interface, which requires networking to be restarted.

Unfortunately, I attempted to use the method to restart networking that I used all those years, when I was sitting in front of the damned server. I turned network interfaces off, with the intention of turing them back on. The problem is, those interfaces were my only contact to the server. Once they were off, it is kinda hard to turn them back on. There are several very simple commands I could have used instead, which would have restarted networking without needing a followup command. You will revert to your training folks, in any situation.

So now, in addition to waiting, I am getting treated like the dumbass newbie who pulled a dumbass newbie boner. Damn it, I was doing this stuff before at least one of these tech support guys was born and now I feel old as hell for saying that. There are two systems that are always very risky to work on, ona remote server: The firewall and networking. If you screw up the firewall and are not a complete moron, you have it in test mode so that it will revert to the previous config, unless you tell it not to. If you break networking, its just broke.

And so I wait.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Bust a few heads. Jack some jaws and pass out some knuckle sandwiches.

I'll have a chance to. I am back in tech support limbo. When I got up today, logging into the server using encrypted keys quit working after I went to bed. Once all the bugs are squashed, this will be a very reliable server, but this part of the job can be maddening.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, Eric said:

I'll have a chance to. I am back in tech support limbo. When I got up today, logging into the server using encrypted keys quit working after I went to bed. Once all the bugs are squashed, this will be a very reliable server, but this part of the job can be maddening.

have you tried smacking it very hard on the side?

maybe unplug it then wait a few Minutes , sneak up to it and plug it back in?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

have you tried smacking it very hard on the side?

maybe unplug it then wait a few Minutes , sneak up to it and plug it back in?

I actually used to have a fairly expensive server that I occasionally had to smack on the side to start. Some things never change. 

• Haha 1

• Eric unpinned this topic