Blink or Ring Security System?

DrB

Which would you get and why?  I am looking at both.  I need battery powered cameras for outdoors.  Would like to be able to record on a flash drive also if possible. 

I figure since I am recovering from hip surgery, I have a lot of time on my hands for climbing ladders and such to mount things....

HaHa...  Dave..

Ring has quite a lag time. Our internet (now) is better than most of the country. They don't tell the requirements, or didn't, and even though the new service blows them out of the water, the operation didn't improve much, if any.

We have a unique set up for the front approach and the nice lady at Ring saw it and offered a refund. (this should have told me everything i needed to know) I wish I would have taken it now, since the new internet service did nothing for it. I got very good CS from them the first time, recently, not so fabulous, but hard to really complain since I got the main issue resolved. You have to have a subscription, no way around it. Otherwise, you get live, well 40 seconds after, only.

We are trying a different device with no required service contract, so if it is just as dismal, it doesn't come with yearly dues. It should be here Friday.

We'll probably find the long brick wall along our approach walk is a problem that may not be resolved. I hope not, but it's time to try it.

We're trying this one. Even if it is as unimpressive as Ring, at least it won't cost us yearly.

eufy

Edited by LostinTexas

22 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Ring has quite a lag time. Our internet (now) is better than most of the country. They don't tell the requirements, or didn't, and even though the new service blows them out of the water, the operation didn't improve much, if any.

We have a unique set up for the front approach and the nice lady at Ring saw it and offered a refund. (this should have told me everything i needed to know) I wish I would have taken it now, since the new internet service did nothing for it. I got very good CS from them the first time, recently, not so fabulous, but hard to really complain since I got the main issue resolved. You have to have a subscription, no way around it. Otherwise, you get live, well 40 seconds after, only.

We are trying a different device with no required service contract, so if it is just as dismal, it doesn't come with yearly dues. It should be here Friday.

We'll probably find the long brick wall along our approach walk is a problem that may not be resolved. I hope not, but it's time to try it.

We're trying this one. Even if it is as unimpressive as Ring, at least it won't cost us yearly.

eufy

Thanks,  I'll check it out. 

The eufy came today. Pretty straight forward. A little hinky when inviting LostWife to the system. Nothing that a old tech challenged fat man couldn't overcome. Otherwise very straight forward, decent instructions, not a given these days, and easy enough to install. It came with a 15º wedge to get the picture off the wall.

Much faster response, good enough audio, very good video, and it seems to have overcome the long brick wall. Next summer will be the test when things really heat up, but for now it works better than the Ring did.

A word of caution. If I didn't have the RIng that charged off the old doorbell wiring I would have blamed this device. We started smelling electric hot ozone. Investigating found a VERY hot doorbell transformer behind the chime. The thing was amazingly hot. It is compatible, but 18 years old, and supposed to have a thermal shut off. Evidently that wasn't working either. New one ordered, and hopefully the charging will be correct (I couldn't get this one to charge). I have a good idea why now.

Even if it doesn't, there are chimes in the base and both cell phones chime, and the thing has a six month battery life, so taking it in and charging it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just release the unit and plug it to a micro USB. You are without the door bell for the charge time, but that is about the only real inconvenience of it.

Edited by LostinTexas

I have a REMO doorbell camera, runs on the doorbell power and works great.  Took a bit to dial in, but come with free storage online and uses my WIFI to notify me and give me a preview and still rings the doorbell.

My cameras are Blink.  I have 5.  Weather proof,  and uses AA lithium batteries and has free 3-day rolling storage online.  Full 1080p with about 140+ degree (?) coverage per camera. 

They can be run on USB power cords, but the batteries last 1.5 years, so I am staying with that so far.

They are also paintable to match your exterior.  Mine are hardly visible now.

Limitation so far have been the WIFI and the heat/direct sunlight.  

I had to install a 2.4+ghz booster to reach all the cameras. (one story house, 2500sqf) cameras on all the corners.

One camera in the back get the most direct sunlight, its the one that failed. Battery change did not help.  Blink sent me a new one and it started to fail also but it was my fault this time.  You must set the camera up closer to the base station, then move it to the farther location.  It was the farthest camera and the only one that I had to do this with.

After a day I played with the failed camera and it works again. So its a spare or pointed at the safe.

Support has been good, battery life is spot on what they said.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JimBianchi said:

I have a REMO doorbell camera, runs on the doorbell power and works great.  Took a bit to dial in, but come with free storage online and uses my WIFI to notify me and give me a preview and still rings the doorbell.

My cameras are Blink.  I have 5.  Weather proof,  and uses AA lithium batteries and has free 3-day rolling storage online.  Full 1080p with about 140+ degree (?) coverage per camera. 

They can be run on USB power cords, but the batteries last 1.5 years, so I am staying with that so far.

They are also paintable to match your exterior.  Mine are hardly visible now.

Limitation so far have been the WIFI and the heat/direct sunlight.  

I had to install a 2.4+ghz booster to reach all the cameras. (one story house, 2500sqf) cameras on all the corners.

One camera in the back get the most direct sunlight, its the one that failed. Battery change did not help.  Blink sent me a new one and it started to fail also but it was my fault this time.  You must set the camera up closer to the base station, then move it to the farther location.  It was the farthest camera and the only one that I had to do this with.

After a day I played with the failed camera and it works again. So its a spare or pointed at the safe.

Support has been good, battery life is spot on what they said.

Thanks, I think I am going to try a couple of the Blink cameras to see if they will work for what I have in mind.  I only need something simple.  If I would have had a couple of cameras with a few days of storage, they could have caught the sob that broke into my house.  Dave..