Phrases ya just don't hear much anymore

Swampfox762

"I am trying to put a bug in your ear"

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/put-a-bug-in-someone-s-ear

Give someone a hint about something, as in Janet put a bug in her husband's ear about getting the children a dog for Christmas. This idiom presumably likens the buzzing about of an insect to a hint, although the exact analogy is not clear. [c. 1900]

The whole Kit and kaboodle. 

I recently learned what a kaboodle was but now I'm starting to forget. It's like some kind of women's cosmetics case I think.

Another expression I like to use occasionally just for the novelty of it,  is "Boss" -as in "that's really boss". "twitchen" is another good one. And "Groovy"

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

The whole Kit and kaboodle. 

I recently learned what a kaboodle was but now I'm starting to forget. It's like some kind of women's cosmetics case I think.

Another expression I like to use occasionally just for the novelty of it,  is "Boss" -as in "that's really boss". "twitchen" is another good one. And "Groovy"

Most excellent!!!

45 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

You need to write man.  Start with an Internet Novel.

I am a published writer.

One might say i've done it periodically as all of it has been newspaper or magazine stories.

But seriously, thank you.  :)

Edited by Historian

3 minutes ago, Historian said:

I am a published writer.

One might say i've done it periodically as all of it has been newspaper or magazine stories.

But seriously, thank you.  :)

Your welcome.  But ya really need to try your hand at a "Long story".  That was really Travis McGee stuff.  McDonald I believe.

5 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Your welcome.  But ya really need to try your hand at a "Long story".  That was really Travis McGee stuff.  McDonald I believe.

You've given me something worthwhile to consider.  Seriously.

When i was a kid i wanted to be a science fiction writer.   But to be fair you need to read hundreds of books before you can grasp that field and i had not.

As time went on i actually majored in journalism and worked part-time as a copy editor for a regional New York Times paper and freelanced to a few other small local newspapers.   I had a couple of feature bits published in pulp history magazines.  At one point i had a small illustration published (that was an accident we didn't have a graphic to explain something...so i drew it).  I got lucky with a few photographs as well.

This was always secondary to primary employment.

It's been a while since i floated a story.  Life got in the way of that hobby.

That G-man has worn out a lot of shoe leather on the beat.   He's spent a life-time toatin a Roscoe, you know, a heater.  He had the old warn look of  man who's seen the elephant all too many times. He looked bone tired. A man that truly needed a sock in the jaw from  some good sauce and i don't mean the sauce grandma made. 

He was a man who need a shot of red eye, some shut eye, and a square meal.

He was wrung out like a pair of old hose and left out to dry like yesterday's news.

And it was only Monday.

Edited by Historian

4 minutes ago, Historian said:

It's been a while since i floated a story.  Life got in the way of that hobby.

Yup.  "Stories" get lost.  You just got a "gift for gab"!!  DAMN!! That fit right in with this thread!!!:anim_lol: Anyway... I've read all the Travis McGee series, and I would swear that was a paragraph from one of em!

8 minutes ago, Historian said:

That G-man has worn out a lot of shoe leather on the beat.   He's spent a life-time toatin a Roscoe, you know, a heater.  He had the old warn look of  man who's seen the elephant all too many times. He looked bone tired. A man that truly needed a sock in the jaw from  some good sauce and i don't mean the sauce grandma made. 

He was a man who need a shot of red eye, some shut eye, and a square meal.

He was wrung out like a pair of old hose and left out to dry like yesterday's news.

And it was only Monday.

Yeah...siht like THAT!  Completely McGee!

1 minute ago, Swampfox762 said:

Yup.  "Stories" get lost.  You just got a "gift for gab"!!  DAMN!! That fit right in with this thread!!!:anim_lol: Anyway... I've read all the Travis McGee series, and I would swear that was a paragraph from one of em!

(Historian flippin a coin) 

So, yous say you have stories that get lost?  Well...sit down and have yourself a cup of joe old man.  My stories ain't lost.  But if you stick around long enough maybe i can help you find where you left them.

Everyone has story, pal.  Everyone.  What's...your story?

(For the record i do own two fedoras)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Swampfox762 said:

You got work to do   Best thing bout it...you got the background.

It was a zoot suit riot and all hell was breaking out in Hell's Kitchen.  He was glad to be packin a Colt. 38 but wanted it's big brother .45.

After all this was written on a gun forum....and he knew asking about 9mm was not even a question.  Not even a thought.   You might as well put on a lead over coat or a pair of cement galosishes and go for a swim with the fishes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

It was a zoot suit riot and all hell was breaking out in Hell's Kitchen.

On further reflection, the gag I have deleted  just wasn't that funny.

Edited by tous

• Administrators

If you want to reach back a bit further:

APE LEADER. An old maid; their punishment after
  death, for neglecting increase and multiply, will be, it is
  said, leading apes in hell.