What self-defense load is in your "house" shotgun?

fortyofforty

What do you load in your shotgun for self-defense?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What self-defense load is in the chamber of your "house" 12 gauge shotgun? (Or first in the tube if you have an empty chamber)

• 00 Buckshot
    • 0 Buckshot
    • #1 Buckshot
    • #4 Buckshot
    • 000 Buckshot
    • Slugs
    • #9 Birdshot
    • Other

Personally, I like #1 buckshot, all else being equal.  The pellet size is big enough to penetrate adequately, and there are a lot of them in a standard load.  However, it's not on every shelf and 00 is everywhere.  I don't lose sleep with either one, though.  The Saiga doesn't like slugs, and I prefer buckshot for home defense anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

Because I didn't want to hear from the snarky crowd that they leave an empty chamber so they can scare the badguys away when they pump it.  That's why.

Well I don't keep the chamber loaded, but it's not to scare some ******* into running away. I don't for the simple reason I don't want the gun cocked with the safety on. 

First round is 00 Tap, but I do keep some PDX1 slugs on board for the hell of it. 

Clipboard01gfhj.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason D said:

Well I don't keep the chamber loaded, but it's not to scare some ******* into running away. I don't for the simple reason I don't want the gun cocked with the safety on. 

First round is 00 Tap, but I do keep some PDX1 slugs on board for the hell of it. 

Clipboard01gfhj.jpg

There you go.  Well stated, and a good reason I included that choice as an option.  In the chamber or first round up.

• Like 1

I chose #4 Buck. It's what I have in the gun, currently. My reasons are several. Habit is the first. In my LEO days, they chose #4 as the issued ammo after evaluating their needs. Also, my home is not large. It is also surrounded on all sides with neighbors at less than 50 yards. Ten yards would be the farthest shot, inside. The #4 Buck round is more than enough for a human at my distances. Secondarily, #4 is slightly less likely to penetrate my interior/exterior walls and then go into one of those neighbor's house. I would have no problem loading up 00. I'm not "wedded" to either. Versatility in ammo choices is a big advantage of shotguns.

All that said, my 12 Gauge would not be my go to firearm in most "bump in the night" cases. My handgun, a Glock 19 is. That choice may be changing in the future as well. I need to fully vett a new acquisition before making the swap tho.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:43 PM, Jason D said:

Clipboard01gfhj.jpg

How is Condition #1 for a shotgun any different than Condition #1 for a 1911?  

Is there a reason, or is that just personal choice?

On 10/26/2017 at 2:50 PM, CalmerThanYou said:

Could you explain your theory of two rounds of rubber buck as your first two rounds, Please and thank you.

My house shotguns primary purpose is not as a primary house defense gun(AR and handgun with light fill that role) but rather to deal with the situations where the AR is a little less than ideal. (Moose, bears in the yard, neighbors dogs etc.)

I wanted a load that would allow me to chase off wildlife without killing them, but rubber buck has the advantage over bird shot or popper loads, in that it would be a more than adequate choice should I need to press it into a home defense role. 

• Like 1

I suppose it is nice of you to take a more humane approach when shooting bears, moose and neighborhood dogs. Although I suspect you may well piss off the large animal or dog owner enough to escalate any percieved threat.

Adequate should you need to press rubber buck into a home defense role?  No thanks.  But you did say you were covered with an AR and handgun.

In my experience, animals that aren’t committed to a full on attack are usually dissuaded enough by the buck that they don’t want to stick around and provoke the situation. Perhaps a big bear, intent on attack someone would not leave, here, it’s far more likely I run across a black bear trying to raid a chicken coop or my trash. Or a moose trying to get into the garden or presenting a threat to the kids going to the bus stop.