Interview!

tadbart

Know that Yellowstone clinic job I was talking about?

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

Now, it isn't until December, but that gives me time to prep for it. Looking over the job description, I meet or exceed all the requirements. The compensation package is quite nice, with a bit of a raise and some nice perks. If this was a year-round job, I'd jump on it and never look back.

So, any interview tips? My last couple interviews were basically meets with friends, starts orientation. Or an email exchange. This is gonna be my first video interview.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Research the heck out of the company and its culture. Be able to describe what the CEO/COO want in their strategic planning and their tactical planning.

Video interviews are a love or hate thing. I refuse to take them because you cannot adequately analyze body language and they tend to favor people who can BS others [sociopathic tendencies, etc.]. Good luck in the prep and the actual interview - hope you get the job.

• Administrators

Cool, man. Good for you. I hope it works out.

You’ve got some time, so you can do some experimenting to find the right amount of drunk between being witty and just thinking you are being witty. Also, the sheep jokes don’t go over as well there as you might think. I mean, common on! The state has a Sheep Mountain, Sheep Canyon, Sheep Lake, Sheep Rock, Sheep Creek AND a business called Spears Sheep & Cattle and they can’t handle a little sheep humor?

But seriously, eye contact. Not with the sheep (They don’t like that), but with the interviewer. Unless it is a sheep. A teacher told me in 9th grade that good eye contact was about 75% of any interview and I think he was right. I’ve walked away with jobs that people I knew to be better qualified than me didn’t get and I think that eye contact and projecting confidence were the key.

Just don’t try to calm yourself by picturing the interviewer in his underwear. Especially if it is a sheep. They don’t wear any, which is ironic considering they are litany covered in enough wool to knit a g-string for Paul Bunyan.

The northwest part of Wyoming is a beautiful area and Yellowstone is breathtaking. I would envy you the opportunity to explore it as much as a job like that would let you. All joking aside, congrats and good luck.

• Like 1

So basically, I should bang a local sheep right before the interview, to get the nerves outta the way?

Thanks, man. Yeah, this is bucket list stuff, so I'm hoping to hit it outta the park. Major life-changing possibilities come with getting to explore that area over the course of some months. Cody, Bozeman, Idaho Falls, and Kemmerer make up a good boundary to look for a place to put down roots. with 3 or 4 days off a week, There's time to play in the park AND do the business of looking around.

@blueiron I get nervous so maybe masking body language will work to my advantage with an online interview. The company wants safe, efficient, customer service and protocol-based care.  I've covered those in my previous jobs. I say I got a good shot at this! Thanks for your guidance!

Edited by tadbart

Good for you and good luck, amigo.

Probably best not to mention the incident when you sexually harassed a moose.

Or, was it that you were sexually harassed by a moose?

Were there bison involved in either incident?

Edited by tous

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, tadbart said:

So basically, I should bang a local sheep right before the interview, to get the nerves outta the way?

Thanks, man. Yeah, this is bucket list stuff, so I'm hoping to hit it outta the park. Major life-changing possibilities come with getting to explore that area over the course of some months. Cody, Bozeman, Idaho Falls, and Kemmerer make up a good boundary to look for a place to put down roots. with 3 or 4 days off a week, There's time to play in the park AND do the business of looking around.

Just remember, it is against state law to trap the ewe's rear legs inside your cowboy boots. I think it is a consent thing.

Really, there isn't a direction you can pick that won't be an amazing trip. I used to live in Wallace, ID, in the northern panhandle, 10 miles from the Montana border. I spend a lot of time offroad and in the wilds of the area, for hundreds of miles around. That is truly God's country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tous said:

Good for you and good luck, amigo.

Probably best not to mention the incident when you sexually harassed a moose.

Or, was it that you were sexusly harassed by a moose?

Were there bison ivolved in either incident?

I think you got me confused with that Alaskan feller. He poked a moose just last month! I ain't even SEEN one all year! And I KNOW BETTER than to pet the fuzzy cows!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Just remember, it is against state law to trap the ewe's rear legs inside your cowboy boots. I think it is a consent thing.

Really, there isn't a direction you can pick that won't be an amazing trip. I used to live in Wallace, ID, in the northern panhandle, 10 miles from the Montana border. I spend a lot of time offroad and in the wilds of the area, for hundreds of miles around. That is truly God's country.

Idaho spoke to me, man. I just saw the SE corner, but it turns out I have friends in Boise and up in the panhandle. I'll definitely be crashing on their couches and exploring out that way too. This has SO MUCH potential.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Idaho spoke to me, man. I just saw the SE corner, but it turns out I have friends in Boise and up in the panhandle. I'll definitely be crashing on their couches and exploring out that way too. This has SO MUCH potential.

The folks in the panhandle of ID don't claim the south end of the state. It is two different worlds. The panhandle and northwestern Montana are the most beautiful forest country I have found in America, at last the lower 48.

6 hours ago, Pima Pants said:

You beat Covid-19. You can handle anything as simple as an interview my friend.

I'm pretty certain that the psychological effects of ICU time served, play a role in my pursuit of this gig, at this time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tadbart said:

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

Now, it isn't until December, but that gives me time to prep for it. Looking over the job description, I meet or exceed all the requirements. The compensation package is quite nice, with a bit of a raise and some nice perks. If this was a year-round job, I'd jump on it and never look back.

So, any interview tips? My last couple interviews were basically meets with friends, starts orientation. Or an email exchange. This is gonna be my first video interview.

Always be yourself in an interview.  
Be prepared with your own questions that show interest.
Tell them you are looking forward to this and ask for next steps that can encourage them to pick you.
Tell them you really want to do this in a positive way (this is the clincher at the end) 

In your prep work make sure you know details about where you're going and applying.  Know some details about the park, expectations, and the clinic/hospital you are applying to. 

Know your target audience.

And good ahead and start talking to yourself.   You need to practice your interview.   You may even have the wife or a friend read off anticipated questions so you can respond naturally.

Avoid passive phrasing of words and sentences.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

Make sure they see your enthusiasm for the job, your qualifications will speak for themselves.  They want to work with people that believe in what they do.

My two daughters got a job at an aerospace company with no skills and no experience, right out of high school, simply by demonstrating their desire and drive to work there, and their unwillingness to give up on them.  They were turned down at least three times and still applied.

Companies of any kind, can't turn down people that really want to work.  It's not the same as "really wanting the job".

Then after HR said they rarely see the initiative and drive both exhibited, they got very good raises after their probation periods.  They wound up with good jobs in The Precision Photomask lab and the other one was doing wire bonding in fiber optic cruise missile interconnects.

I'm a big believer in doing the job of two people.  Then when times get tough, the decision of whose expendable doesn't include you. 

With that philosophy, I have never been laid off in 40 years.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Make sure they see your enthusiasm for the job, your qualifications will speak for themselves.  They want to work with people that believe in what they do.

Companies of any kind, can't turn down people that really want to work.  It's not the same as "really wanting the job".

Right there.   The best quality you can have at work is drive.  The desire to get that job done and work hard at it. 

Be your boss's solution.  Not his problem.

• Thanks 2

@janice6 I like your thoughts.  You gotta be SO proud of the girls. The staffing company that I'll be working for (Positive attitude!) does staffing for some other cool stuff, like oil rigs and oil fields, other not typical medical jobs. I'll probably express interest in continuing employment with them in some form when the Yellowstone contract is complete. I think the bit of research I've done on the company will help them see that I'm serious about the job.

@Historian I'll get a glowing review from my previous employer.  There really isn't any opportunity to be a screwoff in my current position. You offer some great tips, and I appreciate them, man. Practice, practice, practice. Basically, try to anticipate and answer the questions they'll ask. Positivity will come naturally- this is a dream job. The only sub-optimal thing is that you're subject to call at night during the 12 hours following your shift for emergencies, but that's not a deal-breaker. Who determines what an emergency that necessitates call in is, is one of my questions. I have about 5 pages of stuff to go over tonight, to start building my interview study guide, lol!

Edited by tadbart
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tadbart said:

@janice6 I like your thoughts.  You gotta be SO proud of the girls. The staffing company that I'll be working for (Positive attitude!) does staffing for some other cool stuff, like oil rigs and oil fields, other not typical medical jobs. I'll probably express interest in continuing employment with them in some form when the Yellowstone contract is complete. I think the bit of research I've done on the company will help them see that I'm serious about the job.

@Historian I'll get a glowing review from my previous employer.  There really isn't any opportunity to be a screwoff in my current position. You offer some great tips, and I appreciate them, man. Practice, practice, practice. Basically, try to anticipate and answer the questions they'll ask. Positivity will come naturally- this is a dream job. The only sub-optimal thing is that you're subject to call at night during the 12 hours following your shift for emergencies, but that's not a deal-breaker. Who determines what an emergency that necessitates call in is, is one of my questions. I have about 5 pages of stuff to go over tonight, to start building my interview study guide, lol!

Thanks man.   I had a job interview about a year ago with a place that couldn't afford me...and quiet frankly were so underwater they would need well over 1 million to fix their issues.   Maybe as much as four million.  And they were not planning to invest that...and they will get worse because of it.

I did enjoy the interview.

Mostly because the guy interviewing me seemed to be taking notes on how to fix his problems.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 12:51 AM, tadbart said:

jobinterview2_1.png.ec459e428ca56cb6bc249001cae2efb8.png

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have been in the same job for 20 years so I have little experience but in any negotiation I like to find out what people want by asking not assuming.  Maybe ask what their idea candidate looks like unless that was already given in the job description.  If it was then without pointing out you are doing it point out ways you fit each of those criteria.  That seems simple but I constantly see people go to negotiations assuming what the other party wants and they are dead wrong.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to show some man cleavage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1