That ugly girl that nobody wanted...

Nestor

She was sitting ready for sale for over a year I believe. Nobody wanted it. Price was coming down, every 2-3 months, yet there were no buyers. Metal finish was even, but covered with shallow, surface rust. Forend was loose and wiggly, same with the buttstock. Wood was covered with scars and the finish was spotty. It could not be restored to military configuration, because someone, long time ago cut the barrel in front of the bayonet lug. So...no love from the buyers. The only thing going for this, ugly girl was the excellent bore and bolt head stamped with  number 1 (Lee Enfield No4 rifles all have the bolt heads stamped with numbers 0-3 indicating the head space size...0 brand new, 3 shot a lot...and you can change them as your rifle is getting older). I wasn't sure if buying would be a good idea, but I was after a designated iron sights rifle. 10 rounds magazine and ability to top up with the stripper clips is always a plus for me. So I made the offer and brought her home for $200 CAD ($150 US).

Took it right away to the gunsmith who checked the head space and said it's excellent. So...

over the last couple of months I've spent some time taking it completely apart, removing the old finish, bathing it in the rust removal fluid, refinishing with the high heat BBQ paint, fitting the wood and making it completely weather proof (sanding and staining the wood, soaking it with the pure tung oil, drying it for a couple of weeks, then covering the wood with probably 15 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish (sanding it down after each coat, so in the end the finish is in the wood and not on it). I sanded the brass and left it overnight sitting over the vinegar & salt mix to age it nicely. Then spray painted the butt plate with couple of coats of the transparent, protective finish. There is no more wiggling with the wood. It's tight and the barrel is free floated (will experiment with the groups as I was told I may need to put a piece of cork under the barrel to improve the harmonics). So, here she is, ready to live again. Not the prettiest of the girls, but perfectly capable. Factory refurbished in 1945, decommissioned in 1950 I believe. Back to live in 2020. High quality steel everywhere. Slick and fast action. Not too bad for $150 US I guess. I just got the leather sling for it. .303 ammo is available nearly anywhere here BTW.

Some of the pictures from the bench made couple of months back.

63AgWv8.jpg

i638S7m.jpg

aG6BE1I.jpg

ePs7CrH.jpg

Now

AQV84nk.jpg

BWOYl7t.jpg

KMvfgB8.jpg

Ehsr72W.jpg

QJLVlwg.jpg

kkcmWbM.jpg

B7N4C7c.jpg

kkl9TII.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Nestor said:

She was sitting ready for sale for over a year I believe. Nobody wanted it. Price was coming down, every 2-3 months, yet there were no buyers. Metal finish was even, but covered with shallow, surface rust. Forend was loose and wiggly, same with the buttstock. Wood was covered with scars and the finish was spotty. It could not be restored to military configuration, because someone, long time ago cut the barrel in front of the bayonet lug. So...no love from the buyers. The only thing going for this, ugly girl was the excellent bore and bolt head stamped with  number 1 (Lee Enfield No4 rifles all have the bolt heads stamped with numbers 0-3 indicating the head space size...0 brand new, 3 shot a lot...and you can change them as your rifle is getting older). I wasn't sure if buying would be a good idea, but I was after a designated iron sights rifle. 10 rounds magazine and ability to top up with the stripper clips is always a plus for me. So I made the offer and brought her home for $200 CAD ($150 US).

Took it right away to the gunsmith who checked the head space and said it's excellent. So...

over the last couple of months I've spent some time taking it completely apart, removing the old finish, bathing it in the rust removal fluid, refinishing with the high heat BBQ paint, fitting the wood and making it completely weather proof (sanding and staining the wood, soaking it with the pure tung oil, drying it for a couple of weeks, then covering the wood with probably 15 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish (sanding it down after each coat, so in the end the finish is in the wood and not on it). I sanded the brass and left it overnight sitting over the vinegar & salt mix to age it nicely. Then spray painted the butt plate with couple of coats of the transparent, protective finish. There is no more wiggling with the wood. It's tight and the barrel is free floated (will experiment with the groups as I was told I may need to put a piece of cork under the barrel to improve the harmonics). So, here she is, ready to live again. Not the prettiest of the girls, but perfectly capable. Factory refurbished in 1945, decommissioned in 1950 I believe. Back to live in 2020. High quality steel everywhere. Slick and fast action. Not too bad for $150 US I guess. I just got the leather sling for it. .303 ammo is available nearly anywhere here BTW.

Some of the pictures from the bench made couple of months back.

63AgWv8.jpg

i638S7m.jpg

aG6BE1I.jpg

ePs7CrH.jpg

Now

AQV84nk.jpg

BWOYl7t.jpg

KMvfgB8.jpg

Ehsr72W.jpg

QJLVlwg.jpg

kkcmWbM.jpg

B7N4C7c.jpg

kkl9TII.jpg

Cheers!

WOW!!!  Thanks for a GREAT Sunday morning Story!!  Really enjoyed hearing about, and seeing your complete work over of that magnificent Lady.  Truly a Beautiful job you've done there sir!!  She is most certainly not that ugly girl anymore!!!

• Thanks 2

Nice #4MkII, I have one like it made in 1950 by Farkazy and a 1944 a Longbranch MKI made in 1944, the cast load they like is either 12.5 gr Unique or 17 gr 2400 and an NOE equivalent of a 314299 gas checked and sized to .314. Both of mine have a ladder rear sight instead of the flip up battle sight, 5 groove barrels and l have a spare rear sight.

Edited by jmax
  • Like 2

The only thing that I did performance wise is this. Whoever put the front sling swivel in, decided to do it at the weakest point of the forend, where the lightening cuts were made. I was afraid that upon impact on the swivel the forend may simply crack and the swivel will pop out. So, I poured some epoxy into the lightening cuts and reinforced the weak points securing swivel in place at the same time. Gasket cork got glued up front as I'm reading everywhere that the free floated Lee Enfield is just not that accurate and that piece of cork should be up front to support the barrel and improve its harmonics. I guess time will tell if that's true :) You can also see why the forend was so wiggly - that whitish stuff is my attempt of filling out the forend ring cut that created excessive space and the action was sitting loose in the wood. Not any longer...I may paint the front post in orange, but that's about it. She's ready :)

aHoFDsl.jpg

gdaFMfH.jpg

CEJ4iv0.jpg

hank you. That's kinda what I had in mind. JIC rifle capable of putting a lot of harm downrange if necessary. I'm going to call her Betty, but only if she shoots straight. I will find out soon. In the meantime I've got her an expensive leather. Made in Canada, so $50 CAD. It look classy now

Just a touch of the orange nail polish on the front sight and we are all set...

C75jLMb.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Well done. 

Every man worth his salt should be able to take a battered old long gun and refinish it  to the point of pride. The smell of an oiled stock, tanned leather, and Hoppe's No. 9 is a healthy intoxicant.

That really is a classy sporter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1