I got Hard Money today

10 hours ago, tous said:

If I recall, the term 'bit' (12.5 cents) to refer to multiples of one dollar came from the archaic habit  of physically cutting dollar coins into smaller pieces (bits.)

The most I ever molested a coin was to put a penny on the railroad tracks.

:dancingteddy:

I killed time in service by hitting a spoon on the edge of a quarter then drilling out the center and making a ring out of it.

I also soldered a Nickle to the face of a Zippo lighter and over the years it was polished smooth.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I killed time in service by hitting a spoon on the edge of a quarter then drilling out the center and making a ring out of it.

I also soldered a Nickle to the face of a Zippo lighter and over the years it was polished smooth.

Guy sitting behind me in high school assembly - an hour a day I think - did that with a half dollar - all year long. Making a wedding ring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tous said:

If I recall, the term 'bit' (12.5 cents) to refer to multiples of one dollar came from the archaic habit  of physically cutting dollar coins into smaller pieces (bits.)

There was a rumor, back in coin op pay phones in college dorms that copper pennies could be etched to dime size in sulfuric acid, after which they could be used to place calls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tous said:

I believe it refers to the Spanish piece of eight. Two bits = quarter of the coin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NPTim said:

I believe it refers to the Spanish piece of eight. Two bits = quarter of the coin.

That  a 'bit' is a portion of the Spanish, pieces of eight  coin appears to be the most agreed upon origin.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

This is why I stick to science.

Not much ambiguity in gravity or planets hurtling through space.

:wiggle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, railfancwb said:

There was a rumor, back in coin op pay phones in college dorms that copper pennies could be etched to dime size in sulfuric acid, after which they could be used to place calls. 

In our lab one day things were slow, so we Copper plated a silver Dime to pass it off as a Penny.  Counterfeiting isn't as simple as you might think.