I got Hard Money today

5 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Remember the coin jar on the dresser/nightstand? When was the last time you pumped it up?  Yeah, it ain't getting fat, and now the media tells you there is a coin shortage? Yeah.....Right. You don't use real money much these days.

Yesterday.  Been collecting my change for 19 years to buy a boat.  :)  Seriously.

I can't lift the box the rolled coins are in.

• Like 5

Our change jug is 2/3 full.  When it gets full, I take it to the bank and get around $250-300 for it.  It usually takes a year to fill it.  Most of the time it gets used for vacation spending money.  No vacation this year (thanks, Covid), so I'm thinking I'll use it to buy lumber to finish framing the basement, since lumber prices have jumped again... sigh.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Ay, man. I can haz a solid quatta?

Got an ammo can in the bottom of the safe full of rolled coin. Quite a few of those are pre-1982 copper pennies, a couple mercury dime rolls, and the rest just random coins. It's hard to lift. Change jar is a half gallon Jack Daniel bottle. I sort and roll when it gets full- maybe once a year.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 2

LBJ...

Approved putting JFK on the silver half dollar.

Took silver out of our coins. Except JFK half dollar. Left that at 40% silver.

Gresham’s Law came into play. Bad (silver free) money drives out good (silver bearing) money.

So the coins authorized to commemorate JFK never really circulated. Defeating the purpose. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Our change jug is 2/3 full.  When it gets full, I take it to the bank and get around $250-300 for it.  It usually takes a year to fill it.  Most of the time it gets used for vacation spending money.  No vacation this year (thanks, Covid), so I'm thinking I'll use it to buy lumber to finish framing the basement, since lumber prices have jumped again... sigh.

Back when I was married, I had jars of sorted coins in my den. A Saki bottle will hold about $800 worth of dimes. One day I noticed all the jars were empty. Asked the ex what happened. She took it upon herself to take all the change I had been saving to the bank and exchange it for paper money. Almost $2,000. She then spent the paper money. Didn't even think to buy me a little something with part of it. 

• Sad 7

48 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

1 got a 1930 buffalo nickle back in change the other day.

I dated a gal that was a service manager at a local bank. She knew I collected coins, especially silver dollars. She told me they had several hundred of them brought in to exchange and asked if I wanted to buy them. One dollar each. Oh Yeah!. I bought 375 of them. For a dollar each. Sadly they were all Eisenhower's, and none of them were the 40% silver ones. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I while back,  I was in a Quicky Mart and got a silver coin in my change (I can hear them).  I got several silver coins,  buffalos,  wheatys.

On a whim,  I went back in.  I got more.

I went back, like, five times,  buying a coke or candy bar or tic tacs, gum...  and each time I got a bunch of really old coins.  I kept going until the drawer seemed to dry up.

I figure some tweaker got into his Grandpa's mason jars and bought some sixers of Olde English.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Back when I was married, I had jars of sorted coins in my den. A Saki bottle will hold about $800 worth of dimes. One day I noticed all the jars were empty. Asked the ex what happened. She took it upon herself to take all the change I had been saving to the bank and exchange it for paper money. Almost $2,000. She then spent the paper money. Didn't even think to buy me a little something with part of it. 

Hopefully the dimes and quarters, and possibly halves, were the bad clad coins not the good silver coins. If they were silver she really dud a number on you. 

• Thanks 1

One year I gave each of my little grandkids a "new" gold colored dollar coin.  The bank had tons of them but no one wanted them.

Now they are such an oddity that as simple gifts they are appreciated.

I never carry change.  I get change, and it goes into a gallon zip loc bag until it's full, than to the bank and changed into Bills.  I generally add a couple of hundred to my "gun money" that way.

Now I have enough "gun money" to buy what I want, and no one has them due to the riots and emptying the gun stores.  Nevertheless, I keep adding to it.  I do like $100 dollar bills for that.

• Thanks 1

If I recall, the term 'bit' (12.5 cents) to refer to multiples of one dollar came from the archaic habit  of physically cutting dollar coins into smaller pieces (bits.)

The most I ever molested a coin was to put a penny on the railroad tracks.

:dancingteddy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1