Select a knife for me

Gun Shark

I recently came into a little bit of cash and would like to get myself a small "toy". Unfortunately, it's not enough for a gun, but it should be enough for a cool knife. 

I would like something nice, but not so nice I don't want to use it. Small enough that I can carry it every day(My wish is in a pocket with an iPhone 7 plus, car keys, and a flashlight, though I do have two free cargo shorts pockets), but large enough so that if I am royally fucked in an SD encounter that it provides me some last level of defense. 

I was thinking of biting the Bullet and going with a Zero Tolerance 0456, but I would like to get some suggestions and advice. My budget is right around $200, but I would go to $250 if I really liked it. 

I already have: 

Kershaw Leek

Kershaw Spec Bump

Kershaw Baby Boa

Kershaw Storm Tanto

Kershaw E.T

Cold Steel Recon one 

Cold Steel AK-47

a couple of Swiss army knives

What say The Bore Site Community.

6 minutes ago, r3dot said:

Are you allowed to carry automatics? If so, protech and piranha are both awesome USA made autos. 

I think I am here in most of FL, but I’m not 100% sure. Plus state preemption only applies to firearms, and I know Miami has some weird knife laws, so I’d rather not take the chance and unnecessarily get myself in a bind due to a stupid city ordinance against automatic knives.

I think they are awesome and would love to have one though. Thanks for the suggestion. :) 

I carry a Spyderco Techno more often than any other.  It holds an edge exceptionally well, it's almost Sebenza-like in build quality and lock up, and it's the littlest big knife a guy can put in his pocket.  I really can't tell you how nice these little knives are.  As production knives go, it's very close to the top of the top.

Otherwise, it's pretty tough to beat anything from ZT.  I had a ZT 0350 a few years ago, and it was a tremendous blade, but it was a recurve, (tough to sharpen, for me at least) and it took up a massive amount of pocket real estate.

The ZT you mentioned is a very nice knife.  However, since you asked . . .

Have you considered a Benchmade?  Several from their catalog in your price range.  If I were currently in the market for a new knife and had around $250, I'd be looking at a Benchmade Loco 808.  Unusual design, heavy duty, And well, it's a Benchmade.  Others that might fit your bill, would be BM's the Barrage, Emissary, Adamas, or Crooked River (not really a tactical knife, but I think it's a good looking knife that could be pressed into tactical service if necessary).  I have a couple Griptilians, a Triage, a Barrage, and a Bushcrafter, and all are very good examples of American steel.

I also have about a dozen Kershaws (and I see that you're a fan as well) and like them alot for light-to-medium duty.  I mentioned the Benchmades because they are designed at the lock to handle a lot more abuse than most liner locks.  I can and have done things with my Griptillian that I wouldn't consider with any of my Kershaws.  Anyway, just a thought.  Good luck in your search.

23 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

I recently came into a little bit of cash and would like to get myself a small "toy". Unfortunately, it's not enough for a gun, but it should be enough for a cool knife. 

I would like something nice, but not so nice I don't want to use it. Small enough that I can carry it every day(My wish is in a pocket with an iPhone 7 plus, car keys, and a flashlight, though I do have two free cargo shorts pockets), but large enough so that if I am royally ****ed in an SD encounter that it provides me some last level of defense. 

I was thinking of biting the Bullet and going with a Zero Tolerance 0456, but I would like to get some suggestions and advice. My budget is right around $200, but I would go to $250 if I really liked it. 

I already have: 

Kershaw Leek

Kershaw Spec Bump

Kershaw Baby Boa

Kershaw Storm Tanto

Kershaw E.T

Cold Steel Recon one 

Cold Steel AK-47

a couple of Swiss army knives

What say The Bore Site Community.

I know you said knife and this is in the knife forum, but here I go screwing things up. You said you could go 250.00, have you ever had a Henry survival rifle, they are a lot of fun. Otherwise, I see you have some Kershaw's on the list, have you ever looked at a Kershaw Trooper? It's a pretty nice discontinued knife, but they can still be found in your price range.

• 1 month later...

If you are on Facebook and if you can up your budget just a bit, look up Smith Hand Forged Knives on Facebook.
Stuart Smith is a hell of a knife maker and a very friendly guy. He is in South Africa so it will cost a bit to get the knife.
Look through his photo albums. He makes some real works of art 100% by his hands.

Sent from a mental institution

• 6 months later...

I EDC a Spyderco Endura 4 Wave. Its spearpoint blade with the Emerson Wave bears a discomforting resemblance to an amorous bull dolphin but is very practical and versatile. They can be had for under ninety bucks, so buy two and go out for dinner. I have dozens of other knives including far more expensive ones but always go back to these. I dyed the handle on the top one pictured. Lots of folks think the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is the perfect EDC knife. I recently bought a used one and wasn't overly enthused. Perhaps it will grow on me. I designed the Combative Edge PX-41, but it is out of your suggested budget and waiting on another production run after the first one sold out.

Spyderco Endura 4 Waves Presentation Sides.jpg

Combative Edge PX-41 Knife Value Mindset.png

• Like 1

I’m not of fan of liner locks personally. 

I like Ike the Cold Steel choices you listed the best. Cold Steel makes a good knife. 

I would look at a Victorinox Pioneer. Not much a self defense knife, but I use mine everyday. It’s very nice looking and well made, and it will last a lifetime. 

I have ave the same knife but with a saw and I don’t use the saw. I’d just assume have a smaller thinner knife. 

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Pioneer-Alox/p/0.8201.26