Posts Of Kids Struggling With Distance Learning That Are Both Depressing And Hilarious

pipedreams

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

It is our enduring shame as a society that we have continually used our children to experiment with social engineering. This "distance learning" nonsense is just the latest of a long stream of such examples.

This is absolute proof that today's teachers don't give a damn whether their students learn anything.

This generation will be known as the Ignorant Generation.  No real background in life.  If you know a person that's a failure in life, thank a teacher!

• Like 2

I'm laughing at those pics.  Yes, yes, I'm probably going to hell for that, but I've homeschooled for the last 13 years, have 2 more years to go with the last child, and I could have told the world that parking anyone under the age of 10 in front of a computer to listen to a teacher talk was a recipe for stupid (at worst) or sleeping (at best) students.  

My oldest is doing college online, and hates it.  She is fulfilling (stupid) "Gen'l Ed"  requirements - and her English class is reading EXCERPTS of books, and writing essays on them.  I'm sorry, EXCERPTS?  This is freaking college.  She read our bookcase full of classics throughout HIGH SCHOOL - You know - classics?  like Robinson Crusoe?  The Art of War?  Canterbury Tales?  Frankenstein?  Dracula?  Sherlock Holmes?  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?  Three Musketeers?  1984?  Fahrenheit 451?  Picture of Dorian Gray?  Time Machine?  Jekyll &Hyde? - also a bunch of Jane Austen which I never assigned because the only way I'm reading that is if there are zombies in it.  Anyway, college English is a joke.  The essays have to HAVE PICTURES.  

Math?  Yes, she's doing it.  Yes, she hates it.  Yes, I would hate it, too.  The website is poorly designed.  It's a pain in the arse to find anything, takes forever to load, and the questions are irrelevant to the real world.

Physics?  Well, it's ok.  She still likes the subject, at least.  And this is her one professor who is well-organized (because she has taught the class online for the last several years, so everything was already prepared and she is familiar with the platform it's on).  The textbook is very, very similar to what she did for homeschool last year, just with more math, and a section on Nuclear Physics that we didn't have.  How relevant is this to someone who is thinking about becoming a Heavy Equipment Operator or Technician?  Yeah, not.  It's just the school trying to suck more money out of its students by demanding they all take this stuff none of them will ever use again.  Really, people who want to learn more than what they need to know to do their jobs can self-educate, can sign up for those classes outside their fields, but schools need to stop requiring BS courses that do not relate to the real world of the majority of their students.  The only reason they do so, is to extract more money from their students' pockets.  There is actually a good article over at FEE today about this.  http://www.americanquilter.com/reset_password.php?id=108034&token=3d80acca751d9b002322c29f20501269e0362177

Argh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When VA shut down school in March, my daughter was in 2nd grade. They had parents pick up/turn in packets for the students on Fridays and they had one weekly zoom call with the teacher. For K-2, when they're in one class all day with the same teacher, it doesn't need to be more complicated than that. The busses could even deliver the stuff to the bus stops several times a week. It's not like the drivers aren't getting paid or they don't have the fuel.

A coworker's son just started kindergarten and she has to learn 4 or 5 apps, and spend hours trying to record things without interruptions from her younger son or dog for him to get through a day's class. It's ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

This is absolute proof that today's teachers don't give a damn whether their students learn anything.

This generation will be known as the Ignorant Generation.  No real background in life.  If you know a person that's a failure in life, thank a teacher!

The teachers I know are livid over all this. First the kids don't get the interaction they need for a classroom. They don't get the special attention (for the teachers who have small enough classrooms to do this), their parents do a LOT of their work and don't even bother to make the kids write it (Yes work goes in the parents handwriting), and they are doing double work. They have class for the kids that come in, then have to do the distance curricula.

Like gwalchmai said, it is a sad state. The only bright side, if there is one, is the indoctrination is slowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Little Historian spent most of this week at home attending online classes.   The 6th grade is not easy in a virtual world.  The child made an excellent video about God's blessings around around us with an Ipad.   She also wrote an elderly aunt a letter.  Little Historian has lovely handwriting and is a very good writer for the 6th grade.  I know adults who don't write as well.

Anyway.  It works.  But it's not the same as being in a classroom.  

The sniffles are over...I have tomorrow off.   Off to school!  I'm getting a hair cut and a beer.  :)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

After they went full libtard,  Bert and Ernie came out,  and Cookie Monster couldn't eat cookies anymore.  I don't even know if it's still on TV.

Some years back I heard they introduced the first "homeless" muppet, a pink girl named Lily. I'm not sure how it turned out but I think her attention caused some resentment with another muppet.

bitch-i-live-in-a-trash-can.jpg

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Historian said:

Interesting.  Mine calls me the Boobie Monster.

"Oh, look at those," said Historian!

Oft-times my wife comments on her age and my passion.  She seems to think one would discourage the other.

I tell her no, the boobies are the same ones as when she was in her teens, and I'm still fascinated with them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Oft-times my wife comments on her age and my passion.  She seems to think one would discourage the other.

I tell her no, the boobies are the same ones as when she was in her teens, and I'm still fascinated with them.

I feel the same way.

About my wife.

Not yours.

That would be weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Every off centered Liberal Loon who somehow believes this is a good idea, since children have almost a ZERO Percent chance of catching or spreading COVID should be taken to the edge of town tarred, feathered, Keel Hauled and drawn.

The Times & The Sunday Times

And just a few months ago they were saying, if you see a kid eating by themselves, go sit with them.

• Like 3

awhile back i was talking to a Family Member and she was telling me about her Daughter and Remote Learning.

on the Fourth day of Remote Class My Cousin Woke her Daughter up for 'School' and her Daughter looked at her and Said 'Mommy, i don't want to go to the Dining Room Today'

it was Funny and Sad at the same time.

what they are doing to Children with this kind of Isolation is Cruel.

• Sad 3