Plumbing ???

DrB

I put a new sump pump in the basement in along with a new check valve.  Is 1/2hp. same as the two others before.  Now the kitchen sink gurgles when it first comes on.  Never did that before..  Pulled the old check valve out and it looks like there was a restrictor to limit the flow.  Got a better check valve and drilled the 3/16" hole in the discharge pipe 3" above the pump.  Still gurgles.

If I put in a gate valve above the pump to limit the outflow, would that help?  I can't deal with this now so is not an emergency.  It only drains my washer and water softener recycle water.  No basement drains go there so I'm not worried about the basement flooding.  Thanks Dave..

• Like 1

It sounds like the pump is siphoning air through the sink drain.

This can pull the water out of the sink trap and let sewer gas back into the sink area.

If the pump is the same specifications as the old one, I don't understand why this is happening. 

It may be that the pumping efficiency of the new sump pump is higher than the old one, and the increased flow rate is causing this siphoning to occur. 

Of course, I am not a plumber!

Worst case solution in my mind would be a check valve in the line between the sump pump and the sink drain. To seal the sink drain from being evacuated while the pump is running.

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

It sounds like the pump is siphoning air through the sink drain.

This can pull the water out of the sink trap and let sewer gas back into the sink area.

If the pump is the same specifications as the old one, I don't understand why this is happening. 

It may be that the pumping efficiency of the new sump pump is higher than the old one, and the increased flow rate is causing this siphoning to occur. 

Worst case solution in my mind would be a check valve in the line between the sump pump and the sink drain. To seal the sink drain from being evacuated while the pump is running.

It is in a 45 deg. junction going in..  With two pumps before I'm scratching my head.  Going to have to go see if I can find the old pump info for flow rates when I get time.  Absoutly no smell and nothing comes back up into the kitchen drain. water or smell..  Dave..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrB said:

It is in a 45 deg. junction going in..  With two pumps before I'm scratching my head.  Going to have to go see if I can find the old pump info for flow rates when I get time.  Absoutly no smell and nothing comes back up into the kitchen drain. water or smell..  Dave..

The gurgling indicates air flow.  So this is something you should nail down even if you detect no smell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DrB said:

I put a new sump pump in the basement in along with a new check valve.  Is 1/2hp. same as the two others before.  Now the kitchen sink gurgles when it first comes on.  Never did that before..  Pulled the old check valve out and it looks like there was a restrictor to limit the flow.  Got a better check valve and drilled the 3/16" hole in the discharge pipe 3" above the pump.  Still gurgles.

If I put in a gate valve above the pump to limit the outflow, would that help?  I can't deal with this now so is not an emergency.  It only drains my washer and water softener recycle water.  No basement drains go there so I'm not worried about the basement flooding.  Thanks Dave..

Clean the vent on the roof. Or hire a plumber. :couch:

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, janice6 said:

But i bet you stayed in a Holiday Inn once.....Joking.....  I'll figure this out. No room to easily put a check valve up there as the pipe from the sink enters the system right up by the basement ceiling...Thanks for the idea.  Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrB said:

That was done awhile ago.  Plumber not yet.  This is a project that will have to wait a bit till I get healed up.  Dave

LOL, not sure where you live, not that it matters, it is nearing autumn. The animals are doing lots of things early this year, or are here. Birds and squirrels can obstruct roof vents in minutes. Just like any other problem. Start at step #1 and proceed in order.

Get healed up. Best Wishes

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Where does the sump pump pump into the drain?  I agree with Janice on siphoning.  I would guess your pump output is entering the drain between the kitchen trap and its vent.  Somehow good flow is going by the connection to the kitchen drain creating a venturi.  Unless it is an easy fix I would leave it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Where does the sump pump pump into the drain?  I agree with Janice on siphoning.  I would guess your pump output is entering the drain between the kitchen trap and its vent.  Somehow good flow is going by the connection to the kitchen drain creating a venturi.  Unless it is an easy fix I would leave it.

Yep, I think that's it. The sump pump enters into the line close by the kitchen sink drain.  The sump only drains the washer and the water softener so I'm not too worried.  I'll look at my options when I get out of the hospital and back on my feet.

• Like 1

You're in the hospital and worried about plumbing?? 

You need to forgo the ABS and Chinese made fixtures and talk to some of the most entertaining people you can ever meet! When my wife was in the hospital about 6 years ago, she was complaining that she was bored. I asked her if she talked to the physicians, the nurses, and the techs. She mentioned pleasantries and I told her she needed to have a down-to-Earth chat with them. When a nurse came in, I asked if she had a moment to spare and she asked what I wanted. I asked her what as a medical professional, what was the strangest thing she had seen at the hospital. That nurse went on for five minutes straight about some of the bizarreness that had gone on and I was laughing non-stop.

Finally my wife got the hint and started to ask the same questions. She still shakes her head over some of the strange things that medical professionals have seen or experienced. Medical professionals are truly comedians hiding as professional people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife is a women's health NP. The strangest thing she's told me is about the lady she examined with two vaginas. Although I don't think she would tell that story to anyone. That's why I bring it up as often as possible.

And to stay on the topic, that lady probably had some kind of siphoning action going on with her plumbing too.

Edited by jfost11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

My wife is a women's health NP. The strangest thing she's told me is about the lady she examined with two vaginas. Although I don't think she would tell that story to anyone. That's why I bring it up as often as possible.

And to stay on the topic, that lady probably had some kind of siphoning action going on with her plumbing too.

Read about one case.  I wonder what problems the physical oddity caused in their lives.   Might be pathetic.

• Like 1

ahh the one thing i can fix badly .   me and plumbing  have a hate hate hate relationship .  the only thing i work on that works no leaks  is the sprinklers in greenhouse.  everything else i got a dude on speed dial .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Read about one case.  I wonder what problems the physical oddity caused in their lives.   Might be pathetic.

I finally had the inclination to look it up on the web a few months ago. There's a name that I won't try to spell out but it's more common and less weird than you think. Basically just a wall of skin in a cretain spot that divides things internally while not being evident unless there's an exam. It can cause several types of abnormalities like partially or fully divided uterus, divided uterus and vagina, etc.

If I recall correctly, this woman was in her 40s and married for a long time before she even knew. 

Edited by jfost11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

I finally had the inclination to look it up on the web a few months ago. There's a name that I won't try to spell out but it's more common and less weird than you think. Basically just a wall of skin in a cretain spot that divides things internally while not being evident unless there's an exam. It can cause several types of abnormalities like partially or fully divided uterus, divided uterus and vagina, etc.

If I recall correctly, this woman was in her 40s and married for a long time before she even knew. 

I was thinking of the instance I read about where there was two separate vaginas, displaced vertically externally from each other, and claimed to be sexually functional,  to the extent of pregnancy,  I don't know, it didn't say,

Edited by janice6

On 9/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, blueiron said:

She mentioned pleasantries and I told her she needed to have a down-to-Earth chat with them. When a nurse came in, I asked if she had a moment to spare and she asked what I wanted. I asked her what as a medical professional, what was the strangest thing she had seen at the hospital.

So....my grand mother was a nurse, my mother was a nurse (they even came from different countries) and my wife is a nurse practitioner.

They are as bad as cops about stories when they have a Margarita or two in them...when it comes to stories.

image.jpeg.f953de91267d5a1885dd05318abc4b11.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Historian said:

So....my grand mother was a nurse, my mother was a nurse (they even came from different countries) and my wife is a nurse practitioner.

They are as bad as cops about stories when they have a Margarita or two in them...when it comes to stories.

image.jpeg.f953de91267d5a1885dd05318abc4b11.jpeg

My wife and her friends have caused me to get up and leave the table with their stories from the hospital.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

My wife and her friends have caused me to get up and leave the table with their stories from the hospital.

This one must be 15 years old:   I'm eating dinner with the wife and friends and one starts telling us she has a tattoo around her navel in very small letters.  Her plan was for it to expand should she get pregnant and reveal the words, "I'm knocked up!"

Odd girl.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

This one must be 15 years old:   I'm eating dinner with the wife and friends and one starts telling us she has a tattoo around her navel in very small letters.  Her plan was for it to expand should she get pregnant and reveal the words, "I'm knocked up!"

Odd girl.

Would'a that would be obvious to any disinterested third party observer.