12-year-old suspended after teacher spots toy gun during virtual class

pipedreams

If the teacher knew from the start that it was a toy maybe they should have asked the child to put away the toy during class.

"The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office said although the teacher thought it was a toy gun authorities still did a welfare check on Isaiah Elliott without parental notification."

image.png.e4af5b5e22415b0da2ae79469999de43.png

"“If her main concern was his safety, a two-minute phone call to me or my husband could easily have alleviated this whole situation to where I told them it was fake,” said Dani Elliott."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/12-year-old-suspended-after-teacher-spots-toy-gun-during-virtual-class

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

When daughter #2 was 14 she won a Gold Medal in Bunker/Olympic Trap with USA Shooting at the Junior National Championships in Colorado Springs in the National Championship.  She won the Florida State Junior Championship 5 years in a row starting at age 12.  There were quite a few uncomfortable conversations with teachers and administrators at her schools.  It amazes me how vociferously some people can argue a point on a topic they know nothing about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, pipedreams said:

If the teacher knew from the start that it was a toy maybe they should have asked the child to put away the toy during class.

"The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office said although the teacher thought it was a toy gun authorities still did a welfare check on Isaiah Elliott without parental notification."

image.png.e4af5b5e22415b0da2ae79469999de43.png

"“If her main concern was his safety, a two-minute phone call to me or my husband could easily have alleviated this whole situation to where I told them it was fake,” said Dani Elliott."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/12-year-old-suspended-after-teacher-spots-toy-gun-during-virtual-class

School's seem to believe that they alone have the moral responsibility for controlling your children,  but not the ethical responsibility to do it correctly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they suspended the kid... they obviously don't GAF about him getting any education, if they think suspending a kid five days for having a toy gun in his own house is reasonable.

Paranoid.  That's what they are.  What if dad walks by off duty as  cop and his pistol is exposed?  Happens all the time.

This is a zero thinking policy.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

How do you suspend a pupil that is virtual learning???   

Not letting their IP log in??? 

You have control over who enters the class room.  You can kick people out as well.

They just gave the kid a week off.

You really want to punish him...sent him to a Zoom call classroom.

:puke:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Historian said:

You have control over who enters the class room.  You can kick people out as well.

They just gave the kid a week off.

You really want to punish him...sent him to a Zoom call classroom.

:puke:

You are saying that when a child is on a video call, that the teacher suddenly controls the premises the child is in, regardless of whether it is his and his parents domicile.  

NO!         "...  The founders of our Commonwealth recognized the sanctity of a person’s home.  Sections 5, 10, 11 and 13 of that first Constitution also dealt with securing the protection of a person’s home. Of the 16 declared rights, 1/3 of them dealt with the sanctity of a person’s home...."

"...no matter how humble, a person’s home is a sacred right and when left alone, as in not being interfered with by his neighbors and government, will live like a prince.  From those words, if we are to trust John Adams, then and there the child liberty was born in America.

The sanctity of a person’s home was understood as the foundation of all rights and was supposed to be the reason for laws.   As John Locke had written, the reason we formed society in the first place was for the mutual protection of our rights to property...."

https://jmrodkey.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/violating-the-sanctity-of-your-home/

In a real class room, yes.  

Just now, janice6 said:

You are saying that when a child is on a video call, that the teacher suddenly controls the premises the child is in, regardless of whether it is his and his parents domicile.  

NO!         "...  The founders of our Commonwealth recognized the sanctity of a person’s home.  Sections 5, 10, 11 and 13 of that first Constitution also dealt with securing the protection of a person’s home. Of the 16 declared rights, 1/3 of them dealt with the sanctity of a person’s home...."

"...no matter how humble, a person’s home is a sacred right and when left alone, as in not being interfered with by his neighbors and government, will live like a prince.  From those words, if we are to trust John Adams, then and there the child liberty was born in America.

The sanctity of a person’s home was understood as the foundation of all rights and was supposed to be the reason for laws.   As John Locke had written, the reason we formed society in the first place was for the mutual protection of our rights to property...."

https://jmrodkey.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/violating-the-sanctity-of-your-home/

In a real class room, yes.  

Easy now.  I did not say that.

I said the teacher controls the virtual classroom as far as who enters and who does not enter the class by computer.   If you aren't allowed in...you can't log in.  If you're a disruption to the class they can kick you out.  Just like being in a real classroom.

I did not say anything about control of the house a person resides in during the virtual classroom.

• Like 1

Just now, Historian said:

Easy now.  I did not say that.

I said the teacher controls the virtual classroom as far as who enters and who does not enter the class by computer.   If you aren't allowed in...you can't log in.  If you're a disruption to the class they can kick you out.  Just like being in a real classroom.

I did not say anything about control of the house a person resides in during the virtual classroom.

I suspected you meant this but it was ambiguous.   :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When my son was in third grade, one of his friend's moms unfriended him because she found out we had a gun in the house.  I even explained how the guns were kept in a safe and he could not get to them.  She was insistent that he was no longer her son's friend.  Then, the kid tried to get his little peer group to unfriend my son.  In the end, the ladies kid ended up maladjusted, disheveled, and friendless and my son is actually a really nice adult now. 

btw: the way I explained him losing his friend was pretty much that the kid's mom had major mental problems, which I still believe to be true. 

After that, her kid was always trying to make toy guns out of tinker toys and the like. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

When my son was in third grade, one of his friend's moms unfriended him because she found out we had a gun in the house. 

I like my friends to have guns.  Lots of guns.  The more the better. 

It's been my experience that when you need a gun you need more than one.  And you want as many friends as you can, and new friends, to have guns on your side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1