Marlin 880

Historian

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My first rifle was a Marlin tube-fed bolt action and I was supposed to share it with my younger brother which I did, and then after we both got our own guns, our dad took the gun back and used it to cull the prairie dog population on land that he owned in Colorado near Colorado springs where he and our mom spent summers there and winters in Southern California.

So for years neither my brother or I got to see the rifle again. Then one summer we both visited our mom and dad in Colorado and he and his son and I did some plinking with the rifle and I don't remember the details but somehow we recovered a fired bullet and noticed that it had been fired from a micro-groove barrel. Before that, we never knew the manufacturer of the gun because our dad bought it at a Western Auto and the barrel was stamped "Western Auto 22 Short, Long and Long Rifle" and not Marlin.

My brother has the rifle now and I think he researched it and found out what model it was, but I don't remember off hand what he told me, but it was made in 1961 and was a model that was made from the fifties until sometime in the seventies but I'm not really sure about the years of manufacture.