Boresnake instead of cleaning rod

TXUSMC

Tonight, I was cleaning my Glock 44, and instead of wrestling with the cleaning rod and bore brush, I decided to clean the barrel with my .22 LR-sized Boresnake. So much easier. Ran it through 5-6 times, and the bore looked clean enough.

The last thing I do at the range, before bagging up a pistol, is run a Boresnake several times through the barrel. Without fail. And within 24 hours, I field strip and clean each weapon I fired. I'm sure most here do the same. Yet, it always surprises me when I talk to random folks at the range and a significant number aren't as concerned with cleaning their weapons after a session at the range. I'm sure I come across as somewhat O-C... I plead guilty. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TXUSMC said:

Tonight, I was cleaning my Glock 44, and instead of wrestling with the cleaning rod and bore brush, I decided to clean the barrel with my .22 LR-sized Boresnake. So much easier. Ran it through 5-6 times, and the bore looked clean enough.

The last thing I do at the range, before bagging up a pistol, is run a Boresnake several times through the barrel. Without fail. And within 24 hours, I field strip and clean each weapon I fired. I'm sure most here do the same. Yet, it always surprises me when I talk to random folks at the range and a significant number aren't as concerned with cleaning their weapons after a session at the range. I'm sure I come across as somewhat O-C... I plead guilty. 

Me too.  I just can't stand the thought of a dirty gun.  I think that there is a chance, slim as it may be, that over time that dirt may cause a malfunction when I need it. 

I have no idea when I may need it, so I clean it right away.  Then I clean my CCW every 10 days or so whether I shoot it or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Me too.  I just can't stand the thought of a dirty gun.  I think that there is a chance, slim as it may be, that over time that dirt may cause a malfunction when I need it. 

I have no idea when I may need it, so I clean it right away.  Then I clean my CCW every 10 days or so whether I shoot it or not.

I have another hard and fast rule at the range... the CCW always gets a minimum 50 rounds through it, most double-taps, at distances between 10-20 feet, the logical distance at which I may have to engage a target. Just seems like common sense to me... be proficient with the gun you will most likely use. And since that CCW is also my bed stand gun, it makes even more sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

I have another hard and fast rule at the range... the CCW always gets a minimum 50 rounds through it, most double-taps, at distances between 10-20 feet, the logical distance at which I may have to engage a target. Just seems like common sense to me... be proficient with the gun you will most likely use. And since that CCW is also my bed stand gun, it makes even more sense.

I agree.  As I told my son, accuracy at a distance makes you better up close and quick.

• Like 1