Pretty Cool Bridges

pipedreams

The long demolished Grace Memorial Bridge in Charleston SC is still my favorite bridge.  As a child in the early 1960's riding over this marvelous two mile long bridge was like riding a rollercoaster.  I had the pleasure of driving my 8 year old son over this bridge shortly before it was demolished, with him hissing and screaming "We're going to fall off!" all the way.  

In the video you can see three bridges.  From right to left: The Grace Memorial Bridge opened in 1929, The Pearlman Bridge opened in 1966, And the Ravenel Bridge opened in 2005.  The two older bridges were demolished after the Ravenel Bridge opened.

Vintage-South-Carolina-Postcard-Charleston-Grace-Memorial-Cooper.jpg

download (2).jpeg

Edited by aomagrat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

The long demolished Grace Memorial Bridge in Charleston SC is still my favorite bridge.  As a child in the early 1960's riding over this marvelous two mile long bridge was like riding a rollercoaster.  I had the pleasure of driving my 8 year old son over this bridge shortly before it was demolished, with him hissing and screaming "We're going to fall off!" all the way.

Vintage-South-Carolina-Postcard-Charleston-Grace-Memorial-Cooper.jpg

download (2).jpeg

I used that bridge for two years in the late 50's.  I didn't think it was anything unusual back then.

I learned how to drive on a two lane bridge across the Mississippi a few blocks from home.  It was so narrow you had about 12 inches between cars going in opposite directions.  My father considered this a test of a drivers ability.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

The bridges in the original video above all seem to fall into the “Because we could. Why?” classification. Amazing and amusing. 

What is interesting to me is that in most European countries, the design and architecture of major constructs is a sole decision of government, and if it uses up a significant amount of the people's money, the government doesn't care.

Their government is autonomous and doesn't have to answer to the people. Look at their tax rates!

• Like 2

• Administrators

I recently saw this bridge in Oklahoma City. I looked it up later and found that it is called the SkyDance bridge. It appears to be a footbridge only. I’m not sure if the parts that stick up do anything structurally, but it is a beautiful bridge.

6C4C6D01-1390-47AE-ACED-7E86D9A3E074.jpeg

090B1D17-B75D-4952-A0DA-3E88C416DEB2.jpeg

45648DCC-D739-4DA2-AE30-36B2056400ED.jpeg

8D83B254-F940-4390-B2AD-103816E546EC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Swing bridges were once more common than they are today. Used where water transportation and land transportation needed to be at about the same elevation. This one is small and rather basic. Actually the pictures show two bridges of similar size and construction. 

611ED377-34F6-47A5-A31A-A63B31BF2D40.jpeg

CEBD71C0-3368-47F8-8ADC-14767B6A0AC8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 7:38 AM, railfancwb said:

The bridges in the original video above all seem to fall into the “Because we could. Why?” classification. Amazing and amusing. 

Some look pretty useful.  I think the Falkirk Wheel is an engineering oddity/marvel that actually connects two canals.

The one that just slides straight up would have the advantage that if a car were to be stuck on it, the car wouldn't fall off.  It would just go for a ride.

Twin Sales and the black one that twisted were just weird but really cool.

But IMO "Because we could" is a perfectly acceptable reason to use a new bridge design.

• Like 1