Vivaldi Browser

LostinTexas

Anyone tried this? I tripped across it last night, and said "What the heck". Loaded, took about 30 minutes to an hour to figure out things and set up. 

Very customizable (they claim no two pages are alike because YOU set it), fast, light, nice feel, but not sure exactly what it is. Reminds me of Opera (no surprise) with a little FF and Chromium mixed in (no surprise there either), but more friendly. It is a Chromium based browser, like almost all of them, but has a nice feel, look and security options. 

I'm having to get used to where things go when I download them, but it isn't rocket science, and I probably hosed it when I set it up. No worries, if can be changed, I'll find it eventually.

This is the first browser I don't want to run back to Firefox after 20 minutes. Will give it a run the next few days and see how the love is. SO far, I'm more than a little impressed.

Vivaldi

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

This one may not be for you, then. It isn't complicated, especially after the initial set up, but does take a little thought at first. Probably a 20-30 minute learning curve, and figuring out how to make it do a couple of things I wanted.  By the time I went to bed, I had made it my default. I've been on it all day, and feeling good about it.

Most unusual for me. Been with FF for a long time, and it seems prettybare bones simple, just without the bare bones amenities. I'm used to it though. Been through almost every version over the years. Used Chrome on the project, until IT allowed me to load FF. No real problem from Chrome then, but in the beginning I tried it and it almost burned down my OS. I never put it back on anything I owned, and still haven't. MS Edge is playing to be the new Chrome. Both come from the same base (Chromium) and both are much of the same egg. MS just wants some Google SWAG I guess.

You might like DuckDuckGo Browser on your android or tablet if you use one of those. Dirt simple, anvil reliable, light and fast.

Edited by LostinTexas

Brave is another one I just couldn't get excited about, along with Opera. The funny thing is, Vivaldi is about as close to a mix of the two as I guess there is.

More customization, but a good offering of what both have to offer. If it stays stable, It may be something I'll stick with. 

If you are just a little adventurous, give it a test drive. You can always uninstall it if you aren't happy.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Thanks.  Never heard of it.  I'll check it out.

LOL, that is why I posted this. I hadn't heard of it either. Every now and then I'll go in and ask "What are the best ________  _________" and this time it was browsers. All the usual suspects came up and there are always some off the wall entries, but this one stepped up for some reason.

Few of them tell how Google, Edge, and IE will track your every keystroke, but searching around gives me something to do. Brave is supposed to be great at privacy and sets it's claim on that. A good browser, I just didn't care for it very much. Opera sold out to the Chinese, so the potential is there, and probably already are data harvesting. Firefox went dark side a few years ago and I'm not sure what they are doing. So far, they seem to be keeping on the path, but who knows when that will go off road. For that matter, who knows when any of them will. 

Anyhoo, this one popped up this time. A couple of old Opera execs, and some that were exiled from FF (if I understand correctly) came together to give it a try. It's only 3-4 years old, and has a very small following, but as long as the people who are running the thing keep it private, I think it'll grow. Who knows.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

This one may not be for you, then. It isn't complicated, especially after the initial set up, but does take a little thought at first. Probably a 20-30 minute learning curve, and figuring out how to make it do a couple of things I wanted.  By the time I went to bed, I had made it my default. I've been on it all day, and feeling good about it.

Most unusual for me. Been with FF for a long time, and it seems prettybare bones simple, just without the bare bones amenities. I'm used to it though. Been through almost every version over the years. Used Chrome on the project, until IT allowed me to load FF. No real problem from Chrome then, but in the beginning I tried it and it almost burned down my OS. I never put it back on anything I owned, and still haven't. MS Edge is playing to be the new Chrome. Both come from the same base (Chromium) and both are much of the same egg. MS just wants some Google SWAG I guess.

You might like DuckDuckGo Browser on your android or tablet if you use one of those. Dirt simple, anvil reliable, light and fast.

Don't have an android or a tablet, only a desktop. If I ever get a laptop I will look into it. I don't even have a smart phone. I have a love/hate relationship with modern technology. Love some of it, hate most of it. I drive a car with roll-up windows and door locks that open with a key. But I like the anti-lock brakes in the winter on icy roads and I like electronic fuel injection.