F.N.5.7?

DrB

No on the Ruger. 

I have the FN PS90 and I've been waiting for someone to bring out a 5.7mm bolt gun, but no one has due to the argument of which came first, the gun or the ammo. It would make a nice short range predator rifle, but even FN or their subsidiary Winchester doesn't seem to have faith in it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's a hot cartridge, but many decry it as little more than a .22WMR. I've handled one of the Rugers and it felt great and for years I've waffled on an FN Five-Seven pistol but between the cost and not needing to add another caliber to my collection, I've yet to acquire one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blueiron said:

No on the Ruger. 

I have the FN PS90 and I've been waiting for someone to bring out a 5.7mm bolt gun, but no one has due to the argument of which came first, the gun or the ammo. It would make a nice short range predator rifle, but even FN or their subsidiary Winchester doesn't seem to have faith in it.

Have the FN 5.7 and "much ammo", want the PS90, but all gone or outlandish <$1400 price.  The 5.7 hollow point goes through BP glass in the Youtube video..............

• Like 1

I prefer the Armscor 22 TCM round to the 5.7. FN. Case capacity is greater and pistol ballistics are an honest 2000 fps compared to the 5.7's 16-1700 fps out of a 5 inch pistol barrel with 40 grain bullets. Velocities quoted for the 5.7 FN are most often from a longer barrel and with lighter weight projectiles.

The FN five-seven pistol is not well suited for defensive use because while it is a single action, carrying it cocked and locked is problematic because the thumb safety is small and placed in an awkward position on the gun. And the Ruger pistol is not really a single action and may not be meant to be carried cocked and locked though it could be, but the trigger isn't a crisp as a single action only pistol.

Actually the Ruger's trigger is a partially pre-cocked double-action design, with a hammer-fired ignition system.  The rearward motion of the reciprocating slide does most of the work of cocking the internal hammer, but pulling the trigger completes the task before releasing it to impact the cartridge’s primer.

The Armscor/Rock Island pistols are a 1911 design and the quality of their guns is good and their customer service is excellent. And not only is the standard trigger of their 1911 better than either the Ruger or the FN, but any gunsmith familiar with 1911's can make it even better. And Rock Island even makes a bolt action rifle. And since the 22 TCM is based on a shortened 5.56/223 case, which is the same case head size as the 9mm Luger, RIA sells a conversion kit for Glock 19 an d`17 and 23 and 22, but it uses a cartridge with the same case but with a shorter, blunter projectile seated deeper to fit in  9mm magazines.

The RIA 22 TCM pistol is also available with a 9mm barrel at about the same cost as the Ruger 5.7 pistol but the basic gun is less. The 22 TCM is also cheaper to reload since the 223/5.56 parent case is a lot less money than 5.7 FN cases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:39 AM, Maser said:

The Five Seven handgun has an obnoxious sound to it.  Granted I don't wear hearing protection, so maybe my fault a little?  ;)

Don't ever fire a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. Or a 357 Sig for that matter. I fired a 30 carbine Blackhawk without ear protection ones and lost 90 per cent of my hearing for five hours. I felt dioriented and had balance issues and was afraid my hearing wouldn't come back. It did, but now 40 years later, I wear hearing aids.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, Borg warner said:

I prefer the Armscor 22 TCM round to the 5.7. FN. Case capacity is greater and pistol ballistics are an honest 2000 fps compared to the 5.7's 16-1700 fps out of a 5 inch pistol barrel with 40 grain bullets. Velocities quoted for the 5.7 FN are most often from a longer barrel and with lighter weight projectiles.

I was looking at that also awhile back.  No one here has them, thank god or I would have been bringing one home.  i do like the 1911 platform.  Hopefully one will not appear in a store near me as it will follow me home, just because...

Dave..

30 minutes ago, DrB said:

I was looking at that also awhile back.  No one here has them, thank god or I would have been bringing one home.  i do like the 1911 platform.  Hopefully one will not appear in a store near me as it will follow me home, just because...

Dave..

I have one and also a 30 round magazine for it.  They are nice. 

• Like 1