Massive Explosion in Lebanon

Eric

"It was clearly a military explosive," he said. "It was not fertilizer like ammonium nitrate. I'm quite sure of that."

"You look at that orange ball (of fire), and it's clearly, like I said, a military explosive."

I don't necessarily agree with him. The brown-orange cloud is clearly nitrogen based.

RED fuming NITRIC acid; the pressure venting in my avatar was N2O4 and this release in Rock, Kansas of the Titan  N2O4 oxidizer.

All look suspiciously like the Beirut explosion cloud.

Granted military explosives are Nitrogen based, but NH4NO3 has reacted this way numerous other times under fire conditions. Most military explosives now a days are resistant to fire initiated explosions.

rock.jpg.d4968cfd07fcc42fe76923c844b1c331.jpg

Edited by willie-pete
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

Is it bad of me to say that I don’t care how this thing blew up?

I won't think any worse of you for it.

It is interesting to consider whether this could be a strike at Iran by the Saudis in the ongoing proxy war. It sure as hell weakened Hezbollah big time. The Prince Regent has a ruthless streak and I don't care that he ordered a Jihadi sympathizing Washington Post activist killed.

• Like 1

We will never know if this true or not but it may be why Trump said what he did.

"Israel targeted a Hezbollah weapons depot at the port and planned to destroy it with an explosive device.  Tragically, Israeli intelligence did not perform due diligence on their target.  Thus they did not know (or if they did know, they didn’t care) that there were 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in a next door warehouse.  The explosion at the arms depot ignited the next door warehouse, causing the catastrophe that resulted."

https://israelpalestinenews.org/breaking-israel-bombed-beirut-silverstein/

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

We will never know if this true or not but it may be why Trump said what he did.

"Israel targeted a Hezbollah weapons depot at the port and planned to destroy it with an explosive device.  Tragically, Israeli intelligence did not perform due diligence on their target.  Thus they did not know (or if they did know, they didn’t care) that there were 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in a next door warehouse.  The explosion at the arms depot ignited the next door warehouse, causing the catastrophe that resulted."

https://israelpalestinenews.org/breaking-israel-bombed-beirut-silverstein/

I can see that happening. As usual, the regular folks going about their own lives paid the highest price.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, willie-pete said:

This report seems most reasonable. Says it was fireworks that were stored in the warehouse and then the fire eventually set of the ammonium nitrate. Seems to match the video.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/world/2020/08/05/fireworks-ammonium-nitrate-likely-fueled-beirut-explosion/

The article I read said the fireworks and the ammonia nitrate had been storage ever since it was impounded from a ship a few years back. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eric said:

Look how the door skins are pushed in around the door frames and safety bars. Shockwaves are a bitch.

EA59A361-DA6A-46EB-B4F8-9C20FEE3758E.jpeg.95df842323e3e22fb488aa7d41ee647e.jpeg

I have personally experienced a few Scud attacks. That was no rocket.  There were chemicals involved in that explosion.  Purposefully or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Historian said:

Lot of truth in that.

It's really a miracle that more people were not killed.

I doubt we have seen anywhere close to the final number of dead. There are going to be plenty of people buried under buildings that they won't get out in time even if they survived the initial explosion.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Eric said:

Look how the door skins are pushed in around the door frames and safety bars. Shockwaves are a bitch.

EA59A361-DA6A-46EB-B4F8-9C20FEE3758E.jpeg.95df842323e3e22fb488aa7d41ee647e.jpeg

Look at all those blown out windows in the buildings behind the car. I wonder how many of them had people standing at them watching the fire, when the Big Bang happened? I think they will be finding bodies for a long time to come. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Look at all those blown out windows in the buildings behind the car. I wonder how many of them had people standing at them watching the fire, when the Big Bang happened? I think they will be finding bodies for a long time to come. 

I watched the video from some guy in the harbor in a boat.  I couldn't see the shockwave over the water, but I guess he was to shaken to hold the phone!

14 hours ago, willie-pete said:

The Hiroshima " Little Boy "  uranium gun bomb was 15 kilotons; that says this one was about 3 kT.

We've got nukes smaller than that.  (Or used to have, I've been retired for 18 years) 

Edited by aomagrat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1