Massive Explosion in Lebanon

Eric

15 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Sodium nitrate  ?  ?  ?

:nono:

I think you should go with ammonium nitrate.

A lot of ammonium nitrate.

I'm no expert, but to make that much go that high order, you need the FO or similar part?

Just what I'm hearing from my Uncle's neighbor's sister's rommate's grandpa that used to mess around with that stuff back in the 70s.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Sodium nitrate  ?  ?  ?

:nono:

I think you should go with ammonium nitrate.

A lot of ammonium nitrate.

half a joke, half not.

CNN ran a Story claiming a Shipment of Sodium Nitrate caused the Explosion.

apparently now it was a Cargo ship waiting at the Dock with Ammonium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrates that caught on fire.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08/beirut-explosion-rocks-lebanons-capital.html

either way that was a hell of a shock wave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

I'm no expert, but to make that much go that high order, you need the FO or similar part?

Just what I'm hearing from my Uncle's neighbor's sister's rommate's grandpa that used to mess around with that stuff back in the 70s.

Not really, the Texas City, TX disaster in 1947 was caused by only ammonium nitrate under fire.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Yes, the Texas City, TX disaster in 1947 was caused by a ship loaded with ammonium nitrate that caught fire and could not be controlled in time.  The explosion Killed close to 600 people.

That is very obscure. Wow.  Nice.

Yeah, we have a couple of agricultural places in our county

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Historian said:

That is very obscure. Wow.  Nice.

Yeah, we have a couple of agricultural places in our county

It happens more than one would think. In 2013 in West, TX a fertilizer manufacturing/storage facility blew up killing 15 people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Historian said:

The photographs today say the blast was 1/5th the size of Hiroshima.

The Hiroshima " Little Boy "  uranium gun bomb was 15 kilotons; that says this one was about 3 kT.

Here is 15 kT at Hiroshima.

nukemap_2.PNG.7985f7e212ef38b56259d420c40b1ba2.PNG

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

It happens more than one would think. In 2013 in West, TX a fertilizer manufacturing/storage facility blew up killing 15 people.

After 911 we did a survey our our county and surrounding counties to locate facilities like this...we were looking at what we could do to ensure more security for obvious reasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

McVeigh did a number on a Federal building years ago!

Fertilizer and Diesel fuel make for big problems.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, janice6 said:

McVeigh did a number on a Federal building years ago!

Fertilizer and Diesel fuel make for big problems.

Yep.  I thought I read somewhere that he used fuel oil/diesel and propane tanks in conjunction with the furteeeelizer?

• Thanks 1

I'll confess to mixed feelings on this. Very sad that thousands of innocents were killed and injured, through no fault of their own. Then there's the part of me that remembers October 1983, when some of my friends were serving in Beirut on an ill-conceived peacekeeping mission and were blown up by a truck bomb for no other reason than they were in the way. I don't remember the "good" people of Beirut going after those that sponsored the truck bomber and built the bomb. That part of me sheds no tears. Call me cynical and vindictive... I'll plead guilty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hezbollah Hoarded Fertilizer That Blew Up Beirut, Planned to Use it Against Israel in 'Nuclear' Style Attack

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/08/05/hezbollah-hoarded-fertilizer-planned-to-use-it-against-israel-in-nuclear-style-attack-n2573756

Hezbollah, the Iran backed terrorist organization that has taken over Lebanon, has a history of stockpiling the chemical in different European locations. 

Robert Baer, a former CIA operative with extensive experience in the Middle East, said videos of Tuesday's blast showed that while ammonium nitrate may have been present in the warehouse, he does not believe it was responsible for the massive explosion that ensued.

Baer said he thinks that there were military munitions and propellants present. He speculated it could have been a weapons cache, but it's unclear who it belongs to.

"It was clearly a military explosive," he said. "It was not fertilizer like ammonium nitrate. I'm quite sure of that."

"You look at that orange ball (of fire), and it's clearly, like I said, a military explosive."

Baer noted that white powder seen in the videos of the incident before the major blast are likely an indicator that ammonium nitrate was present and burning. He also noticed a lot of munitions going off ahead of the larger explosion.

Hezbollah has a significant arsenal of explosives, missiles, ammunition and more stored in populated areas across the country, including in Beirut.

A July report by the ALMA Research and Education Center found that the group has at least 28 missile launching sites, command and control infrastructure, missile assembly sites, rocket fuel storage sites and missile bunkers next to high schools, clinics, hospitals, golf clubs and soccer fields as well as the Iranian Embassy and the Lebanese Ministry of Defense.