History of a REAL Firearms Designer: John Browning

Eric

• Administrators

Here is a documentary about a firearms designer who became a legend in the industry. I was watching a video the other day that was lauding praise on Mikhail Kalashnikov, for the AK series of rifles. It is pretty easy to look like like a genius gun designer when you are copying the works of someone else. Browning didn't need to stand on anyone's shoulders, to be a giant in the industry.

John Browning is probably the most important designer in the history of firearms. This is a pretty good documentary on him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Eric featured this topic
  • 1 year later...

What impresses most about Browning is the sheer number of different types of firearms he designed.

Belt-fed machine guns.  Box fed machine guns (BAR).  Rifles.  Pump shotguns.  Auto shotguns.  Handguns.  

There is literally not a sector of firearms that he didn't design.  I suppose the Assault rifle, which didn't come about until later.

Ma Deuce is STILL in use today.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2017 at 12:09 AM, Eric said:

Here is a documentary about a firearms designer who became a legend in the industry. I was watching a video the other day that was lauding praise on Mikhail Kalashnikov, for the AK series of rifles. It is pretty easy to look like like a genius gun designer when you are copying the works of someone else. Browning didn't need to stand on anyone's shoulders, to be a giant in the industry.

John Browning is probably the most important designer in the history of firearms. This is a pretty good documentary on him.

Those commercials sure dated that documentary, didn't they? ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first child of wife number two

a sixth grade education

and hand tools

you can’t stop genius from expressing itself.

I tell Mercy that “lowborn is a circumstance, not a condition”

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
What impresses most about Browning is the sheer number of different types of firearms he designed.
Belt-fed machine guns.  Box fed machine guns (BAR).  Rifles.  Pump shotguns.  Auto shotguns.  Handguns.  
There is literally not a sector of firearms that he didn't design.  I suppose the Assault rifle, which didn't come about until later.
Ma Deuce is STILL in use today.

What is the “assault rifle” but a light weight BAR using a smaller cartridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, railfancwb said:

What is the “assault rifle” but a light weight BAR using a smaller cartridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose.  But I was being specific - he designed the BAR itself.  

But in truth, most "assault rifles" are gas operated from a closed bolt, while the BAR was recoil operated (may not be the technically correct term) from an open bolt.  Most of JMBs stuff was recoil operated.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1