Enterprise Level Networking Help

Gun Shark

Hey All,

This latest WiFi vulnerability has me researching enterprise level networking equipment, in case ASUS does not release a patch, or say that they are not effected soon. I have been looking at Ubiquiti's USG, their Edge router, or their USG pro 4, combined with 2 access points, based on research up to this point. I don't need anything super fancy, but I also don't want to stupidly scrape the bottom of the barrel. 

As for my networking needs. All I would really need is the ability have one secure network for my Personal network, and have a truly independent secure guest network. it would need to be able to receive and transmit a gbps connection(or as close to it as possible, mostly because I am paying for 1gbps service) It would need to be easy to set up for someone who is not completely unknowledgeable when it comes to networking, but at the same time, is not an IT or networking Admin. 

My current network consists of 2 RT-AC88u's, an HP Pagewide Pro printer, several backup drives, and a combination of a wired and wireless devices. Current device list says I have 16 connected right now. 

Is Ubiquiti good, if not where should I look?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,

Gun Shark

Edited by Gun Shark

We just put in several Ubiquity APs at our Dallas office. They seem pretty solid. I run 10 AeroHive APs at the ATL office and they work great. I have one dead spot - the boss's office, but he's real good about it. 

Roaming's transparent and I have good coverage everywhere. A decent AC class wifi card gets speeds of 90% of cable. 

20 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

We just put in several Ubiquity APs at our Dallas office. They seem pretty solid. I run 10 AeroHive APs at the ATL office and they work great. I have one dead spot - the boss's office, but he's real good about it. 

Roaming's transparent and I have good coverage everywhere. A decent AC class wifi card gets speeds of 90% of cable. 

I am looking at their 1 or 2 of their AC PRO HD, one of those combined with one of their in wall Pro's; or 2 in wall pro's. 

Are the Ceiling pucks obvious on an white to off white ceiling or do they blend in. Would the signal be degraded significantly if I put one of the wall units behind a desk or masked wall unit.

I haven't used Ubiquity's support so I can't comment. I'll ask my guy in the Dallas office.

Our AeroHives are the same color and are unobtrusive on our off-white suspended ceilings. AC-class will be attenuated by barriers, but not too much. I think it'll have to be a "try-and-see" thing. You may have to add an extra AP to compensate.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:20 PM, gwalchmai said:

I haven't used Ubiquity's support so I can't comment. I'll ask my guy in the Dallas office.

Our AeroHives are the same color and are unobtrusive on our off-white suspended ceilings. AC-class will be attenuated by barriers, but not too much. I think it'll have to be a "try-and-see" thing. You may have to add an extra AP to compensate.

Unfortunately while it broadcasted outside of the mask, it just wasnt really practical, so we have opted for a ceiling mount. It is looking like one on one side of the house, and another in the upstairs hallway near the wifi cliff that seems to be a few feet further.

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Gun Shark

• 8 months later...

Asus is pretty good about support but it takes them awhile usually. If all else fails you can go the custom firmware route, especially if you are an advanced user as you will get more benefits and features out of it. I know they dropped a firmware update for my board a few months ago for Specter mess I just have to not be lazy and apply it. I use a Netgear on my gaming/streaming set-up at home and that got one patch already I expect one or two more