Hamburger Hill

DrB

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, DrB said:

Watching the movie as dinner cooks.  An underrated movie.

We're Airborne.  "We don't start fights, we end them."

Dave..

Outstanding movie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the most realistic Vietnam movies out there.  

"Now un-ass my AO!"

Dylan McDermott was great in that movie, and Steven Weber was fantastic.  

Great quote from Dylan McDermott's character Sgt Frantz (who I always wondered - is he supposed to be Dennis Franz?  Name is similar and Dennis Franz is a Vietnam vet - 82nd and 101st Airborne).

Sgt. Frantz: Han is closing in on your position. It's night... Look at me! I'm gonna save your life and your gonna save mine. It's night, it's raining. While your thinking about peace, love and whether or not we should be in Vietnam, Han is going to cut your ******* throat. And your sleeping. You've been humping the boonies for months. It's your turn to sleep, you're allowed to sleep. What do you think Han is going to do? Is he going to wake you up, Alphabet? And smile? And talk about women? Mister Nathanial Victor gets his rocks off watching you die. Some of you think you have problems because you're against the war. You demonstrated in school... you wear peace symbols on your steel, and you have attitudes. I'm orphan, my brother's queer, the city of Chicago got the clap from my sister, Mom drinks, Dad coughs blood, I have ringworm, imersion foot, the incurable crud and the draft ruined my chances of being a brain surgeon. People, you are in Vietnam. You have no problems. Except me.

[points to Han who is holding an RPG and grinning]

Sgt. Frantz: And him.

Edited by SC Tiger

A terrible waste of good men. Half a century later, it appears we learned nothing. If you feel differently, look at the results: Vietnam is Communist, and Afghanistan is as always has been... a country ruled by feudal warlords and tribal chiefs dependent on their opium cash crop.

Or venture down to the VA hospital and check out the Vietnam veterans still dying of Agent  Orange and the Afghanistan veterans getting their prosthetics adjusted or their TBI being treated.

I will always be proud of having worn the cloth of our nation, and always suspect of the resolve of our nation’s civilian leaders when they commit young Americans to combat. My $.02.