Let's See Your Carry Knife

Eric

• Administrators

After Benchmade came out with their Axis Lock I swore I would never carry a liner lock again, but I found this Böker a couple of months ago and it followed me home. It has one of the tightest, smoothest actions I have ever seen and I love the grind of the blade. I like the look of the overall knife as well. It is a clean look.

1640102118_JPEGimage4.thumb.jpeg.23b8a84409826e329409dac785339aee.jpeg

1466845816_JPEGimage7.thumb.jpeg.f6cca31e620b4e8869894d26b42f66ad.jpeg

1086254823_JPEGimage2.thumb.jpeg.59fc820f317c98d9d088f6cb1559a515.jpeg

1065113907_JPEGimage3.thumb.jpeg.dfa03cfec5395844603977389559ee05.jpeg

Let's see your carry knives.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

0.jpg.71dda2a9163e71398e4786e6edb312df.jpg

Benchmade Adamas most days.

case-tribal-lock-ftd.jpg.0d731e82867ddccfda58b0be660b61c7.jpg

The politically correct:  Doesn't offend people who faint at the sign of a real knife.

Case tribal. Gift from Mrs. Historian and Little Historian....and one exceptionally fine classic folding pocket knife.  I love case knives.   I'm never more than a few feet from one.  Even a member of their collectors club.

W-585_alt1.jpg

When wearing slacks rather than real pants.  Benchamde Mini-Barage.

randall-made-knives-1__42242.1511883100.jpg.9706682021d7eb158c160d8949a7114a.jpg

Randal Number 25:  If hunting of camping.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Historian said:

0.jpg.71dda2a9163e71398e4786e6edb312df.jpg

Benchmade Adamas most days.

case-tribal-lock-ftd.jpg.0d731e82867ddccfda58b0be660b61c7.jpg

The politically correct:  Doesn't offend people who faint at the sign of a real knife.

Case tribal. Gift from Mrs. Historian and Little Historian....and one exceptionally fine classic folding pocket knife.  I love case knives.   I'm never more than a few feet from one.  Even a member of their collectors club.

W-585_alt1.jpg

When wearing slacks rather than real pants.  Benchamde Mini-Barage.

randall-made-knives-1__42242.1511883100.jpg.9706682021d7eb158c160d8949a7114a.jpg

Randal Number 25:  If hunting of camping.

I really like that Randall. That company has a storied history. I found one of their M17 Astro knives at a pawn shop a few years ago and got it for a song. The M17 is the knife they made for the Gemini astronauts. Every Gemini astronaut had one with him when he went up. The one I found was a preproduction knife, from a lot made for the Gemini project. It wasn't an astronaut's knife though. It was probably given to someone in the support staff, or in administration. They gave them to dozens of people associated with the project. Anyway, Randall makes tough knives.

I like the Adamas as well. I am a big fan of Benchmade knives.

• Like 2

I was once at the Air and Space Museum in DC and looked up to see that exact model.   The Astros were made for spacemen.

One hell of a fine hand made knife.

If you cant cut your way out of a space capsule with that you need help from the outside.

Might just be the ticket if you have to fight hand-to-hand with an eight armed space alien.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Historian said:

I was once at the Air and Space Museum in DC and looked up to see that exact model.   The Astros were made for spacemen.

One hell of a fine hand made knife.

If you cant cut your way out of a space capsule with that you need help from the outside.

Might just be the ticket if you have to fight hand-to-hand with an eight armed space alien.

Imagine my surprise to find one for sale at a pawn shop. I picked it up for less than $200.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

I really like that Randall. That company has a storied history. I found one of their M17 Astro knives at a pawn shop a few years ago and got it for a song. The M17 is the knife they made for the Gemini astronauts. Every Gemini astronaut had one with him when he went up. The one I found was a preproduction knife, from a lot made for the Gemini project. It wasn't an astronaut's knife though. It was probably given to someone in the support staff, or in administration. They gave them to dozens of people associated with the project. Anyway, Randall makes tough knives.

I like the Adamas as well. I am a big fan of Benchmade knives.

Eric i have to say:  That is a hell of a find.  Bo Randall himself may have held your knife.  What a great story.   One day i'd like to visit the museum in Orlando, Florida.  Really glad that knife landed in the hands of someone who would appreciate it's use and history. 

Benchmade makes a fine tactical knife.   I still have the Spyderco you sent me as a result of a fund raiser for the other sight.   They make a decent knife.  But i have carried Benchmades for over 20 years.   

Thank you for the kind comments about the Model 25.  I waited just under 5 years for it to come home.   When it arrived the postal service left me a note saying i missed a package.  I had to sleep on it over night.  Go to the post office and they handed me a brown box...stuffed with Orlando's newspaper and a knife.  I waited the drive home, had dinner with the family, poured a Scotch and opened the box.

It's about as fine a hunting knife as anyone ever made.   I cleaned a hog with it last year and it made the job easy.  Deer are easily processed.  It's just a fine too.  And someone made mine by hand.

Randalls are about craftsmanship.

Garry Powers was wearing one when he was shot down.  A Bird and Trout.  The Russians still have it.  But they were very curious about that knife.   It was that kind of quality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Historian said:

Eric i have to say:  That is a hell of a find.  Bo Randall himself may have held your knife.  What a great story.   One day i'd like to visit the museum in Orlando, Florida.  Really glad that knife landed in the hands of someone who would appreciate it's use and history. 

Benchmade makes a fine tactical knife.   I still have the Spyderco you sent me as a result of a fund raiser for the other sight.   They make a decent knife.  But i have carried Benchmades for over 20 years.   

Thank you for the kind comments about the Model 25.  I waited just under 5 years for it to come home.   When it arrived the postal service left me a note saying i missed a package.  I had to sleep on it over night.  Go to the post office and they handed me a brown box...stuffed with Orlando's newspaper and a knife.  I waited the drive home, had dinner with the family, poured a Scotch and opened the box.

It's about as fine a hunting knife as anyone ever made.   I cleaned a hog with it last year and it made the job easy.  Deer are easily processed.  It's just a fine too.  And someone made mine by hand.

Randalls are about craftsmanship.

Garry Powers was wearing one when he was shot down.  A Bird and Trout.  The Russians still have it.  But they were very curious about that knife.   It was that kind of quality.

I was excited when I saw that Randall. The pawn shop guys knew nothing about knives. Pawn shops almost never end up with quality knives. At the same time I bought the Randall, that pawn shop had a Busse Custom Shop knife and a couple of other knives that I also bought. Someone must have pawned a nice collection and lost it. I found those knives laying beside the $15 crap blades you expect to find in a pawn shop. Christmas came early that year for Eric. I'll post pics of the Busse. Busse knives use unbelievably thick stock to make their blades. I love it. The Busse is actually worth quite a bit more than the Randall M17 Astro.

Busse1-1.jpg

Busse1-2.jpg

Busse1-3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm cheesed today, because I bought a Benchmade Infidel OTF several months ago.  (It's an occasional carry) 

Not cheesed because I bought it, it makes me smile, every time,  but over the 4th, I used it to cut up some hotdogs for the kiddos,  and didn't clean the blade. 

I used it today and found the blade stained (pitted?) from the dog-juice.  Won't come off. 

I don't exactly know what part of a pureed animal is that corrosive,  but we eat it.

• Administrators
Just now, Huaco Kid said:

I'm cheesed today, because I bought a Benchmade Infidel OTF several months ago.  (It's an occasional carry) 

Not cheesed because I bought it, it makes me smile, every time,  but over the 4th, I used it to cut up some hotdogs for the kiddos,  and didn't clean the blade. 

I used it today and found the blade stained (pitted?) from the dog-juice.  Won't come off. 

I don't exactly know what part of a pureed animal is that corrosive,  but we eat it.

Lips & assholes are pretty acidic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

I was excited when I saw that Randall. The pawn shop guys knew nothing about knives. Pawn shops almost never end up with quality knives. At the same time I bought the Randall, that pawn shop had a Busse custom knife and a couple of other knives that I also bought. Someone must have pawned a nice collection and lost it. I found those knives laying beside the $15 crap blades you expect to find in a pawn shop. Christmas came early that year for Eric. I'll post pics of the Busse. Busse knives use unbelievably thick stock to make their blades. I love it.

That Busse is a fine knife.  Look at the width of the spine.  That was a serious chunk of metal turned into a knife.  Love the grips.  

You did well to get that knife as well as the Randall.

Haven't been to  a good pawn shop in years.  Those places are like garage sales.    The 70 year old one we lost a few years back had everything.

Back in the 1970s Remington made some nice folders. I managed to buy one that was designed for duck hunters.  It has a serrated edge blade, a spear point for cleaning, a punch for taking down your shotgun for cleaning and a choke tube wrench built in.  Just a need knife.    I think i paid about $20 for it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

That Busse is a fine knife.  Look at the width of the spine.  That was a serious chunk of metal turned into a knife.  Love the grips.  

Haven't been to  a good pawn shop in years.  Those places are like garage sales.    The 70 year old one we lost a few years back had everything.

Back in the 1970s Remington made some nice folders. I managed to buy one that was designed for duck hunters.  It has a serrated edge blade, a spear point for cleaning, a punch for taking down your shotgun for cleaning and a choke tube wrench built in.  Just a need knife.    I think i paid about $20 for it.

Yeah, doing the pawn shop rounds is very much like hitting the garage sales. Most of what you see is crap, or overpriced, or crap that is overpriced, but once in a while you find a deal. What the hell, it gets me out of the house.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Historian said:

I would really like to find some old Case or Buck or Schrade knives in good shape. They have a following and carry some value. When I was growing up, those old black and silver Buck knives is the image that the word 'knife' called to mind for me.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

image.jpeg.b721b9b492862d27041b10551104cd70.jpeg

One of several Enduras and Victorinox Classics. tom.

This is the only Spyderco knife I still have. I somehow managed to give away all the GT Spyderco knives even. I thought I kept one back for myself, but I screwed up.

The knife below is one of a series of knives that Spyderco made in partnership with Jerry Hossom. They are discontinued and hard to find. I'd love to get the others in the series as well.

2068190129_JPEGimage5.thumb.jpeg.d62c088f43f5cb1dfed010d6064a52f6.jpeg

• Like 4