Bring Me My Brown Pants

Eric

Some recording devices have a heavy paper or card stock disk which is marked as the disk is slowly rotated by a motor. One use is to monitor fluctuations in water pressure over a 24 hour period.

In a science class the teacher put one of those disks on the shaft of a variable speed motor. The teacher then turned on the motor and started increasing its speed.

An amazing show and sound when the speed became fast enough for centrifugal force to explode that disk. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • Administrators

Here is a Top Fuel dragster factoid list I just ran across. I can't swear to the accuracy of all the stats, but it all sounds impressive as hell.

TOP FUEL ACCELERATION FACTS!
* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (11,000 HP) than the first 5 rows at the Daytona 500.
* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1.2-1.5 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.
* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gasses.
* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.
* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.
* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.
* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.
0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)
6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin chutes at 300 MPH An NHRA Top Fuel
Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth . . quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:17 PM, Eric said:

The clutch came apart and launched the clutch disc through the bell housing, through the car's cabin and most of the way through the cowl.

Considering that the disc and center hub of the clutch appears to be intact, I would say that everything from the flywheel back came apart and sent the clutch disc flying

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 7:55 PM, Batesmotel said:

My wife had the clutch in my Jeep come apart on the freeway. Engine running and stuck in gear. She was able to pull to the shoulder and kill the engine. 

Looked like a bomb hit it when we got it apart. There is a lot of energy stored in that little part when at speed. 

DELETED

15 hours ago, Eric said:

366362210_704004108431571_3763268016425932778_n.jpg

There is an unbeleiveable amount of energy in a truck tire when it breaks loose from a truck at highway speeds.

I think it was around 1985, I got called in the middle of the night for a service call. A truck had lost a set of duals on I64 20 miles east of St Louis.

I got there and it was a country bands tour bus and the right rear duals were both gone. The guys in the band set out searching for the missing wheels and found one of them. I got my list of parts together and headed into StLouis while these guys kept searching, but never found the second wheel.

About a week later, I was at our shop and there was a call on the police scanner. A couple had returned home and found a truck tire in thier kitchen. That wheel had come off, crossed the westbound lanes of I64, continued on across the east bound side, down a hill, through a creek and a bunch of brush and continued on until it busted though the back wall of this couples house 2 1/2 miles from where the bus had pulled over.

I think the Farmes guy showed up later that day.

hq720.jpg.5a5cfe86fe8276d4a2888702ebec45c6.jpg

That was sometime before he had seen a thing or two. :P

• Sad 1