Bring Me My Brown Pants

Eric

• Administrators
1 minute ago, kerbie18 said:

I don't know what I'm looking at, exactly...

The clutch came apart and launched the clutch disc through the bell housing, through the car's cabin and most of the way through the cowl.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Thankfully it didn't come up through the interior!

It did though. At that angle, it passed through the car's cabin, behind the dash. I imagine it came pretty close to the driver's right foot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

It is common in drag racing to fit a Kevlar explosion-proof blanket and or straps over the bell housings of the cars. They go off like bombs, if they come apart. They can do some gruesome damage. Same with superchargers. Unfettered, they can launch themselves a long way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

It is common in drag racing to fit a Kevlar explosionproof blanked over the bell housings of the cars. They go off like bombs, if they come apart. They can do some gruesome damage. Same with superchargers. They will put similar covers over them and run straps that prevent them from launching, if they explode. Unfettered, they can launch themselves right into the stands and clobber spectators. It has happened.

That or the stamped steel bellhousing that can contain it or both.  When the flywheel lets go it is even worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The NHRA says that a Top Fuel dragster burns and average of 15 gallons of fuel on a run. The average ET is around 4.5 seconds, for Top Ful dragsters. I think that the averages ETs have dropped since that figure was published (People have run in the neighborhood of 3.6 seconds), but that number will do to make a point. That means that they are consuming around 3.3 gallons of nitromethane fuel per second. That is mindboggling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

The NHRA says that a Top Fuel dragster burns and average of 15 gallons of fuel on a run. The average ET is around 4.5 seconds, for Top Ful dragsters. I think that the averages ETs have dropped since that figure was published (People have run in the neighborhood of 3.6 seconds), but that number will do to make a point. That means that they are consuming around 3.3 gallons of nitromethane fuel per second. That is mindboggling.

Demonstrated by the diameter of the fuel lines.