Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Eric

Bring Me My Brown Pants

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

cdn.ebaumsworld.com-1143-1593198866.1.jpg

That is amazing! (and frightening)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kerbie18 said:

I don't know what I'm looking at, exactly...

The clutch came apart and launched the clutch disc through the bell housing, through the car's cabin and most of the way through the cowl.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Thankfully it didn't come up through the interior!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eric said:

The clutch came apart and launched the clutch disc through the bell housing, through the car's cabin and most of the way through the cowl.

That will make for an interesting call to AAA...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

 Thankfully it didn't come up through the interior!

It did though. At that angle, it passed through the car's cabin, behind the dash. I imagine it came pretty close to the driver's right foot.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eric said:

It did though. At that angle, it passed through the car's cabin, behind the dash. I imagine it came pretty close to the driver's right foot.

That is quite frightening!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is common in drag racing to fit a Kevlar explosion-proof blanket and or straps over the bell housings of the cars. They go off like bombs, if they come apart. They can do some gruesome damage. Same with superchargers. Unfettered, they can launch themselves a long way.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scattershields are required by NHRA sanctioned tracks at certain speed/ET thresholds.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eric said:

It is common in drag racing to fit a Kevlar explosionproof blanked over the bell housings of the cars. They go off like bombs, if they come apart. They can do some gruesome damage. Same with superchargers. They will put similar covers over them and run straps that prevent them from launching, if they explode. Unfettered, they can launch themselves right into the stands and clobber spectators. It has happened.

That or the stamped steel bellhousing that can contain it or both.  When the flywheel lets go it is even worse.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eric said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Massive power has it's drawbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James Stevens, in the middle of a bad day.

motorcycle-racer-james-stevens-wild-backflipping-ride-in-tulsa-0003.jpg.ddddfd57b3667a1c36027f1a24022550.jpg

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHRA says that a Top Fuel dragster burns and average of 15 gallons of fuel on a run. The average ET is around 4.5 seconds, for Top Ful dragsters. I think that the averages ETs have dropped since that figure was published (People have run in the neighborhood of 3.6 seconds), but that number will do to make a point. That means that they are consuming around 3.3 gallons of nitromethane fuel per second. That is mindboggling.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eric said:

The NHRA says that a Top Fuel dragster burns and average of 15 gallons of fuel on a run. The average ET is around 4.5 seconds, for Top Ful dragsters. I think that the averages ETs have dropped since that figure was published (People have run in the neighborhood of 3.6 seconds), but that number will do to make a point. That means that they are consuming around 3.3 gallons of nitromethane fuel per second. That is mindboggling.

Demonstrated by the diameter of the fuel lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eric said:

The clutch came apart and launched the clutch disc through the bell housing, through the car's cabin and most of the way through the cowl.

:faint:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Historian said:

:faint:

Imagine straddling that action in a front-engine dragster. Many a guy lost legs and lives.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eric said:

Imagine straddling that action in a front-engine dragster. Many a guy lost legs and lives.

The amount of energy for that is unimaginable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...